MT bink alpha

This forum deals with all the Movies & Replays of the Community. Use http://www.tm-tube.com and share your creations here!

Moderator: TM-Patrol

werlin
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: nations

MT bink alpha

Post by werlin » 27 Jan 2010 07:38

hi all, im new to the forums :D

i made a track and i wanted to include video textures, found out about tm using bink, and tried to put them in the ad-panels... it worked!! then i tryed doing some zeppelins with bink also, worked great...

then i thought how do ppl make tracks with graphic elements like letters and shapes like i see on gps's?
so i search YT that tells me its made through MT, read tmcreative tutorials, and think... "well if there's an image input... lets try bink again" so far so good, but turning the oppacity down still darkens the race,
well radtools have alpha options....

not so good... not that the alpha doesnt work.. it does, but in all 3 available modes, it cuts the black part, but the video is stuck on a single frame, probably the first...

it triggers, the alpha works, but its like a still image... doesnt play :ftw:

as anyone found themselves with this same problem on their hands?

have you managed to solve it? if so, how?

i searched the forums but it only mentions avatars where the alpha doesnt work wich is not the case here...

thanks 4 your time and attention

TStarGermany
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMN,TMNF,TMUF
Manialink(s): creative

Re: MT bink alpha

Post by TStarGermany » 29 Jan 2010 15:27

bik implementation within the mediatracker is not complete. implementing biks,especially the ones with alpha channel are not for "image" display within TM.

werlin
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by werlin » 29 Jan 2010 16:41

thx for the reply TStar

but is there another way of getting video with alpha on in-game situations?

because, as is, i see only one solution to this problem, though not a very pleasant one, that is to insert the alpha'ed video frame by frame onto the timeline, which is going to be a royal pain if we get up to 30fps, on average 5 secs per video scattered here and there, and the track happens to be a PF with 6:34 min

ps: isnt the dust on dirt tracks a bik? how's that triggered?

there's got to be an easier way than frame by frame solution
Last edited by werlin on 29 Jan 2010 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

TStarGermany
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by TStarGermany » 29 Jan 2010 16:47

free yourself of these impure thoughts ^^
if there was a proper way to get animations as "images", tmc would've dealt with it long ago..
the only cheesy method is to put a bik on an ad sign in the game and put the camera in front of it...

werlin
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by werlin » 29 Jan 2010 16:57

the only to problems with that,are that, the panels dont support alpha(they dont clip the video using the alpha, altough they play it just fine), plus i think it would be harder to get rid of the collision model of the panels...

and even that wouldn't be great since the idea is like have the car to dodge rockets passing by, and exploding right next to it, etc...

because darkening the race camera, or do it frame by frame, i really dont know what's worst, i'll have to toss a coin :roflol:

werlin
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by werlin » 29 Jan 2010 17:17

i just thought of even another, not ideal, solution, which is to pre record the race to avi put it in post-production in order to compose the videos, and the insert them back on the media tracker, again a couple of problems: doesnt account for dynamic light changes, blinking speedy arrows, and screen aspect ratio variations...

come on ppl, drop in on this in order to brainstorm the problem, there's no such thing as a stupid idea, doesn't matter how farfetched it is

plz reply

TStarGermany
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by TStarGermany » 29 Jan 2010 18:08

you're wasting time with something which has no promise of success...

let' start with:
what exactly is your goal ?

werlin
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by werlin » 29 Jan 2010 19:08

the goal is to make a track with some vfx appearing as the car progresses through the track,

them beeing them rockets and explosions,
or just simply to have a pair of big eyes peaking above some wall,

to simply have some motion in the straight forward dull moments where the car isnt crashing or falling to change direction (remember its a press-forward track)

of course camera work is a really good way of adding to those motionless dull moments, but i was hoping for it not to be the only solution, thus the animation through the motiontracker idea

werlin
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by werlin » 29 Jan 2010 20:31

in fact scratch that...

you're a genious: "what's your goal?" and "impure thoughs" is absolutly right

the goal was to do this with as little application exchange as possible... i didn't even want to use the hex-editor to do the actual track.. cameras, built-in fx, and video panels will have to do

i guess that to sit through 6:30m, everytime i did every little final f***ing touch, had somehow sidetracked me from the main objective

for all reading this feel free to continue discussing this topic even further, i will gladly participate... maybe some of what was\will be said will serve someone else's purpose aswel

but for what im doing this really isnt the point

TStar :1 glad we talked, if you hadn't dropped in on this, i wouldn't have re-thinked my views on the matter

now i'm gonna relax, and tomorrow i'll get started on knowing how cameras work and where to put them