How do I make brushes?

Find here all the Stickers / Flags of the Community.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

BAiT
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMNF

How do I make brushes?

Post by BAiT » 08 Jun 2008 03:41

Hi,
Thanks to Con_J and a few other people I've learnt how to make stickers. Brushes however seem to be made slightly differently as when I made a brush in the same way as I made stickers the number I wanted showed up in the bar properly and goes on the car right but I cannot select the colour. I made the brushes in black and when I select another colour it still goes on the car in black. Can someone tell me what I have to do to make colour selection work?

onejive
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): NA

Re: How do I make brushes?

Post by onejive » 14 Jul 2008 15:44

What is a brush? Stencil?
AKA Revnant

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMNF, TMUF

Re: How do I make brushes?

Post by Gording » 15 Jul 2008 16:50

onejive wrote:What is a brush? Stencil?
In the TM painter it's labelled "Brush", but in the folders names it's...yep...a "stencil".

All Stencil/brushes are actually 16.7 million black and white images, which is the only difference between a stencil and a sticker (stickers use the full colour spectrum). The colour the brush/stencil uses is taken from the TM painter colour palette. Again using the most simple method possible (search the interwebthingy for : DXTBMP) and a couple of examples :

Main image :

Alpha channel image :

And after a couple of minutes you end up with an effect something like this :

Apart from using no colours, brushes/stencils are exactly the same as Stickers. Any part of the alpha channel image that is 100% black will be completely transparent in the Main image. Greys (lighter to darker) vary from opaque to transparent. Just experiment, but you can see the completely white letter outlines in the alpha channel, make those parts of the Main image 100% opaque. The slightly grey background of the "B" is only a little transparent, and so forth until the quite dark "T" of the alpha channel makes this area of the Main image almost completely transparent, which doesn't pick up the colour (because it's see through! :) ). The background of the alpha channel is 100% black, and is shown (or not shown) as 100% transparent in the Main image.

Again here's a screen grab of DXTBMP doing it's very simple thing :

If you need help with using a DDS plug-in for a complicated graphics app, you'll have to ask someone who uses the same. Sorry.