TGA wont save multi-layer files

Find here all the Stickers / Flags of the Community.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Lyian
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMNF, TMUF

TGA wont save multi-layer files

Post by Lyian » 16 Jan 2010 06:32

Not sure if this is the cause of my problem or not, but when i send my sticker into TM, the white background covers Wayy more of the car than the background should.

To resolve this, im trying to take my sticker, but it on a Transparent background to try to prevent the bleeding, but PSP says that it cannot save it as a multilayer image due to the limitations of the file format. If i save it anyway, it just dumps a white background on it and i have the same problem as before.

Any suggestions?

Lyian
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMNF, TMUF

Re: TGA wont save multi-layer files

Post by Lyian » 18 Jan 2010 02:13

guess thats a noo??

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMNF, TMUF

Re: TGA wont save multi-layer files

Post by Gording » 27 Jan 2010 01:55

Lyian wrote:guess thats a noo??
Nope.

TGA's by default are not multi-layered. However, stickers and Stencils used by TM have an alpha channel (I've detailed this all fully elsewhere...many times : Forum search is your friend)) image too. It is the alpha channel which gives the sticker and stencil it's transparent effects. As you save as a single layer TGA (you have no other option but to do so with most painting apps) you might like to try downloading DXTBMP.

http://www.btinternet.com/~mnwright/programs/dxtbmp.htm

Using this very simple and free utility, any painter application can create both images required by a sticker (and it's icon), which DXTBMP combines and exports as "TGA with alpha". Sorted

ie: Import both the 16 million colour image of your sticker, and it's 256 shade Black/grey/white image for the alpha channel, then export a TGA with alpha....all been said, done, and shown, before.

Good luck.