Requirements and Questions

This is the place where you can find everything related to the dedicated server, control scripts and community tools.

Moderators: Pit Crew, TM-Patrol

Hazz
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TM-UF

Requirements and Questions

Post by Hazz » 30 Dec 2008 23:37

Hi there, just got a few questions about running a TM-UF server.

1) What are the requirements? Currently have a Q6600 hosted in London on a 100mbit port, how much CPU would a large server use? (Either overall CPU usage or core usage)

2) How many players can you have?

And anything else I should know?

zzzyzygy
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Re: Requirements and Questions

Post by zzzyzygy » 31 Dec 2008 00:12

A dedicated TM server puts very little load on the CPU. The limiting factor is network upload bandwidth. I have a cable modem with 10 Mbit download and 2.5 Mbit upload speed. It can support about 25 players comfortably. If I set the thread priority to high it will support 30 players without lagging in response to controls, but the other cars get jittery on screen.

I'm also running FAST to log times with dedimania and all the other nice things it does. It has no impact on performance at all.

Hazz
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Hazz » 31 Dec 2008 00:56

Well bandwidth isn't a problem as it is hosted in a datacentre.

Could I get a rough estimate of CPU usage and I still need to know how many players you can have.

untraceablesmurf
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: tmn, tmu, tmuf

Post by untraceablesmurf » 31 Dec 2008 19:51

you'll have no problems with cpu usage, i host 2 public servers and 2 private server plus several other games (css, bf2) on our dual core server and cpu usage never gets above 50% total and that includes running stats, as for player numbers i think max is either 200 or 250 which is the limit set by the server, my servers are set around 50 per server but i could easily up it.

Hazz
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Hazz » 01 Jan 2009 15:49

Right ok, I'll have a play around.

Another question, we mainly run CSS, TF2 and L4D servers, we have to frequently restart those, is Trackmania the same or is the dedicated server problem actually stable? :lol:

untraceablesmurf
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: tmn, tmu, tmuf

Post by untraceablesmurf » 01 Jan 2009 19:08

ive had the odd server crash but mostly tmf runs fine, current uptime for my servers is 22 days normally reboot them around once a month or when ever a new version comes outs