Dedicated server for TMF, version 2009-10-09

This is the place where you can find everything related to the dedicated server, control scripts and community tools.

Moderators: Pit Crew, TM-Patrol

Frostbeule
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMUF, TMNF

Re: Dedicated server for TMF, version 2009-10-09 beta

Post by Frostbeule » 13 Oct 2009 15:56

Very nice =)

xbx
Developer
Developer

Re: Dedicated server for TMF, version 2009-10-09

Post by xbx » 15 Oct 2009 13:55

As no problems are being reported, I removed the "beta" tag, and made setups for the fix. (with no changes to the actual files.)

The client and server should now both report version 2.11.23. (build 2009-10-09)

FoxShadow
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMNF, TMUF

Post by FoxShadow » 15 Oct 2009 14:39

Thank you for this patch!! :thumbsup:

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Post by Xymph » 15 Oct 2009 15:28

xbx wrote:As no problems are being reported, I removed the "beta" tag, and made setups for the fix. (with no changes to the actual files.)

The client and server should now both report version 2.11.23. (build 2009-10-09)
Coolio. I updated the two server and client posts around the forums, and my versions list.

In my public dedicated log, this message (which I'm seeing for the first time) just came by:

Code: Select all

[2009/10/15 16:50:25] Ban : internal checks failed for 'v3xusfredde'.
Does this indicate the login was spoofed per the new connection protocol checks?

Also, will there be updates (either automatic or manual) for digitally distributed editions, e.g. Steam and Metaboli? This is more important now that there are client version checks in the dedicated, XAseco, and TRUCK.
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

xbx
Developer
Developer

Post by xbx » 15 Oct 2009 16:54

Xymph wrote: In my public dedicated log, this message (which I'm seeing for the first time) just came by:

[2009/10/15 16:50:25] Ban : internal checks failed for 'v3xusfredde'.
Does this indicate the login was spoofed per the new connection protocol checks?
well... :mrgreen: I wasn't clever enough to log the actual check that failed, so the answer is "maybe". It could also be one of the older checks for the previous protocol.
or a bug...
Xymph wrote: Also, will there be updates (either automatic or manual) for digitally distributed editions, e.g. Steam and Metaboli? This is more important now that there are client version checks in the dedicated, XAseco, and TRUCK.
We're gonna give it some more time for problems to emerge, and if all goes fine, then we'll push it to more and more people..

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: all

Post by nocturne » 15 Oct 2009 17:13

Forget Steam... why is there still no use for that nice lil 'update' button in the launcher..? I understand the patches are optional, but they were the same in TMN:ESWC, and the update function was actually used then. :grmblz:

As far as Steam goes, the whole intent of the online distributed system is to keep clients updated with little to no effort by themselves. Steam could easily force an update to these thousands upon thousands of clients -- just seems like either a lack of communication or purely a lack of effort on Nadeo's part.

Maybe there's a number of somebody at Ubisoft I can reach to whip this all into shape..? :ftw:

lille79
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Post by lille79 » 15 Oct 2009 18:04

I think most people agree it it should be easier to update.

I've read, but haven't seen, any good solutions for these problems for example:
- Steam-versions that say they're updated when people still have 2.11.11
- people with TMUF that get message that TMUF isn't installed when they try to update.

Nice with updates though, but it's a bit weird that it's us users that have to inform other players that there actually exists updates.
/lille79
Old man of the Norwegian Trackmania team Super Sheep Racing
To visit my homepage/blog, and download the usbTMFserver, this is the place to go.

nouseforname
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMUF,TMNF, TMN
Manialink(s): therookies

Post by nouseforname » 15 Oct 2009 18:12

totally agree here. i was wondering from the beginning that tthe configurator never tells you anything about updates.

i've made a little manialink to inform all players visiting my servers about that.

ps. maybe cheaters are only known as 2.11.11 users cause they also dont know it. so sooner or later we will notice cheaters with actual versions i guess.
Owner of the Rookie servers and some more. :)
Rookies HP
My Project
Rookies Manialinkcolor>

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser

Post by nocturne » 15 Oct 2009 23:42

I feel the worst part of it is the fact that nowhere on the Trackmania site are the patches listed. They are only available right here in the toolbox forum, buried ambiguously into posts about dedicated server versions. It's like Nadeo is telling us server ops that it is our responsibility to make sure our racers update their clients.

Furthermore, it's entirely too soon to add a required client version option to the server config. When a server uses this, what happens..? The player gets a message that they can't connect because their client is out of date? So then they return to the launcher, hit that update button and are notified they are 'up to date', but they still can't connect... They check the trackmania site, but no mention of a patch... They come here to tm-forum, check the appropriate game subforum, but no mention of a patch... They try to search the forum for 'patch', but are told they can't search for that term because it's too common...

Without any help from us server guys, there's no way a player can find these updates unless they think to start wading through posts about dedicated servers to find them, realms that they should have no need to traverse...

Personally, I find it mind-boggling... :grmblz:

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 16 Oct 2009 06:51

The post in news is also full of fixes. But more questions about it.

Just make a Post in Trackmania Talk and let a tm-patrol person lock it for only game fixes.

Even with 2.11.21 you can join server clients with 2.11.23
Last edited by Xymph on 16 Oct 2009 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link so I don't have to post a followup with it myself...

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser

Post by nocturne » 16 Oct 2009 08:37

Oh, adding a reply on the twelfth page while the first post lists an update more than a year old... that's much better... :roll:

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by w1lla » 16 Oct 2009 08:55

well just try to post an announcement in Trackmania Talk, Trackmania Nations Forever and United and everybody will be happy after all.

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser

Post by nocturne » 16 Oct 2009 09:18

Seems pointless when there's already a stickied post with a Nadeo employee claiming about the 7-30-2008 patch, "The only one you need is this one:"...

I'm just a random user... It seems we have no shortage of forum administrators that could easily provide such a solution.
w1lla wrote:people like tm-patrol and Pitcrew can post such things...
It was a pit crew member that posted the fix on the twelfth page.. Why not edit Flo's post, or create a new sticky..?
Last edited by nocturne on 16 Oct 2009 09:24, edited 2 times in total.

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by w1lla » 16 Oct 2009 09:19

people like tm-patrol and Pitcrew can post such things... :roflol:

lille79
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Post by lille79 » 16 Oct 2009 09:22

nocturne's point, and I agree, is that it's a bit weird you have to enter a forum to get a patch for your game. I know you don't have to have the patch, but why don't post so you see it when you log on, or just make a link on http://www.trackmania.com. I've said it before, people find it weird that downloading a patch happens from a forum, I've been asked if it's safe to download etc. I think it's great work that these checks are performed by Xaseco and now in the dedicated itself, but that means all players should have the possibility of playing and not being closed out because Nadeo don't publish their fixes and Steam-clients aren't updated.

I'll certainly remove all configurations that involve checks in the usbTMFserver until more people are updating.
/lille79
Old man of the Norwegian Trackmania team Super Sheep Racing
To visit my homepage/blog, and download the usbTMFserver, this is the place to go.