Ban or Blackilist Difference ?

This is the place where you can find everything related to the dedicated server, control scripts and community tools.

Moderators: Pit Crew, TM-Patrol

Mikey
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Ban or Blackilist Difference ?

Post by Mikey » 23 Jan 2010 13:05

What is the difference between Ban and blackilist ?
This is what I think I understand ;
- Dedi has seperate callbacks for Ban and blacklist
- ingame you can vote to Ban but not to blacklist
- only superadmin can callback and use blacklist (usually via controllers like xaseco)
- dedi cfg you can define the blackList file

What I Dont know ;
- How they are different
- Is Ban temporary
- Is there a banlist file or does it also use the blacklist file

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Re: Ban or Blacklist Difference ?

Post by Xymph » 23 Jan 2010 14:00

Blacklist is permanent via the aforementioned file, which is automatically loaded at dedicated server (re)start. Blacklist stores only logins, and blocks access by those logins.

Ban is temporary, not saved in a file, and therefore lost at dedicated server restart. Ban list stores IPs (as well as logins and client names for reference) and blocks access by those IPs.
XAseco does however have a feature to store the banned IPs in a file too, and reload them at XAseco restart.

As to why these distinctions exist, and why bans normally aren't preserved across restarts, that's a question only Nadeo can answer.
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

Greco
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMN

Re: Ban or Blackilist Difference ?

Post by Greco » 24 Jan 2010 08:58

i think blacklist is better punishment because all of us can change ip if we restart our router ( if we don.t have static ip )

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: all

Post by nocturne » 24 Jan 2010 17:14

Greco wrote:i think blacklist is better punishment because all of us can change ip if we restart our router ( if we don.t have static ip )
Fortunately most trolls haven't figured that out yet (and that it's the modem that needs rebooting, not the router). Plus, some ISPs make it a common practice to only lease IPs for no more than a day unless the connection is in active use. Unfortunately though, they have figured how to beat a blacklisting -- just a new login. Banning works off of not only the ip and login, but the clientid as well.

Still would be nice to add the clientid field to the PlayerInfo query output, so it can be used in scripts as another method to ban across server restarts. Trolls simply wouldn't think that their machine name would be involved, and most are too sophomoric to even begin to know how to change it. Plus, it takes a reboot -- and who reboots these days anyways..? :lol:

The idea of blacklist vs ban is basically that it is for somebody you never want on the server again -- never. Unfortunately, ip's change more often than a server is rebooted, so there's no point saving them to a blacklist, let alone there being a minute chance of some other player just happening to get leased that ip.

A good example of what's appropriate for a blacklist is loading Xymph's wonderfully maintained Dedimania Blacklist, which references every repeated cheater caught by DM -- the type of players I'm sure most wouldn't want on their servers at all.

Ant
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMUF, TM Wii

Post by Ant » 24 Jan 2010 21:01

Yeah, I have that blacklist enabled in my server config - very handy :thumbsup:

Greco
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMN

Post by Greco » 29 Jan 2010 16:34

the dedimania banned list need update. I have found more that i can tell you

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Post by Xymph » 29 Jan 2010 16:56

Greco wrote:the dedimania banned list need update. I have found more that i can tell you
Report here with proof.
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

t686
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by t686 » 28 Oct 2012 00:00

Is there a plugin yet which saves bans to file, so they are permanent after the server restart, if so, which?

Can someone tell me more about that client id - how its gathered (mac, hardware ids)?
Is there a plugin to display a client id in player info?

Thanks, have fun and drive safe!