Flash scoring aplication

This is the place where you can find everything related to the dedicated server, control scripts and community tools.

Moderators: Pit Crew, TM-Patrol

Benjisite
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TM ;TMS; TMUF

Flash scoring aplication

Post by Benjisite » 09 Aug 2010 06:39

Hi everybody,
i'm posting today in order to know if something exist or, if not, if someone is interested to work out the following :

The goal would be to create a software capable to collect data from a relay server, putting it in a database and using it on a flash aplication to handle the display. This could be usefull for some match broadcast even if it's a huge job. Some library are exiting for xmlrpc and flash, but it should need some work over to adapt to the specifities of Trackmania.
If anayone wanna know more about it, feel free to contact me (if you have knowledge about all that's stuff obviously ;)^

Benji
A new travel video each day : http://www.regards-sur-ailleurs.fr
http://www.generations-digitales.fr -Documentary Available !!

Ant
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMUF, TM Wii

Re: Flash scoring aplication

Post by Ant » 09 Aug 2010 12:03

Well I'm not sure if this can do it, but xai is working on a TM-Stats data plugin at the moment. You can see it here viewtopic.php?f=127&t=25861

If its completely the wrong thing then sorry man - but it is a plugin that collects data from a server and gets sent to a database that processes it.

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: all

Post by nocturne » 09 Aug 2010 19:00

Well, in the broader scheme of things... there's the matchsave plugin ((x)aseco), which can store any match info into html/mysql... then it's just a matter of parsing the gathered data into a web format.

Being as the work is all done for starting off with php (gbxremote), I don't see much reason to use Flash (unless you want nifty animated transitions). For any dynamic content, I'd imagine you could much more easily code it up using some java/ajax. Personally, I don't think I've even touched flash in almost a decade...
Chief Janitorial Supervisor of the Let'sRock! TM community : www.LetsRock-TM.com

Benjisite
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Benjisite » 09 Aug 2010 19:29

in fact flash is needed because i need sweet graphical and really dynamic thing to be displayed on screen for exemple (overlay).
You help and comment is very appreciated, thanks!
Benji

TStarGermany
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMN,TMNF,TMUF
Manialink(s): creative

Post by TStarGermany » 10 Aug 2010 01:34

ash Dr-Terzalo (link), he does TM related flash stuff

svens
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMS, TMO

Post by svens » 10 Aug 2010 11:37

Sounds like a nice project.

I was planning to do something like this with PHP + JavaScript + SVG, but I fail horribly when it comes to design and animations. If someone really wants to make this I'd love to contribute to the project by doing the "backend" (not the actionscript, the data gathering).

reaby
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Post by reaby » 10 Aug 2010 19:48

I don't talk flash, but i did some tests with a custom script collecting data from main server. Looks like you can run two server controllers at same time, especially when the other just reads info from server.

Flat text-files would be maybe better approach to handle the data, it's much easier to handle xml or csv data directly from disk, at least i think it is (in terms of ajax and pure flash).

I assume the script should be aimed for team-mode, showing team assignments and team points... and possible the order which players finishes (knowing that, we can show points for each player and calculate what team won the round)

If I understood correctly, the goal is to make some kind of lower 3rd application for TV usage or a score screen, possibly blue screen-masked, so it can be easily superimposed using video mixers to broadcast picture... and/or in game manialink version for relay servers..

Benjisite
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Benjisite » 11 Aug 2010 15:26

@reaby yes you right, it's for some broadcast application so, the alpha layer is important.
@svens : if you are confident doing the actionscript and the colelcting of data via a relay server, we can meet by mp, the design and animation is not problem for me, i got some one to do it.

Benji

Jojo_44
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: Tmnf, Tmuf

Post by Jojo_44 » 11 Aug 2010 21:20

Hi Benjisite,

i tried already to connect with flash to a tm server. But it didn´t work.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=24359

If you have some knowledge about it or someone else know somebody who did a connection with flash, please contact me.(without the way over php)

Generally im interesting to help you.

best regards, Jojo

Slig
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: ALL

Post by Slig » 12 Aug 2010 14:07

About the pack/unpack("V") php functions (i also never understood what these are doing exactly), i guess that the java and C# versions (made by Flo), can probably also help to understand the protocol between the client script and the dedicated, a,d how to implement it if you need to make it from start on another language : Java XmlRpcLib: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10977 , C# XmlRpcLib: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3474

svens
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMS, TMO

Post by svens » 13 Aug 2010 00:50

Benjisite wrote:@svens : if you are confident doing the actionscript and the colelcting of data via a relay server, we can meet by mp, the design and animation is not problem for me, i got some one to do it.
I said I'm not doing the ActionScript, because I can't do it :).

My intent was to create a live scoreboard I can show on a website, which would be showed to many people and thus requires quite a different data-gathering approach compared to a one-instance scoreboard for broadcasting. You especially don't want every visitor to open a GbxRemote connection to your dedicated server, instead you need some "backend" service which delivers the data to the user in an efficient manner.
Also you got some serious problems to make it live, which is a feature I'd like to have. With Ajax there's no way to tell the browser when new data is available, so you update in periodical intervals. Let your visitors ask for new data every 10 seconds and it will make your server glow (with enough visitors of course) because of the http/apache/cgi overhead. Increase the interval and you'll no longer be able to use it for your live-broadcasts (because the data is always outdated). Of course this is a oversimplified, and you can do a lot to optimise it. What I want to say is that Ajax isn't made for such things.
Using flash would allow to easily solve all those problems, that's why I really like the idea (it has come to my mind too, but there's no chance I could do this alone). The solution are TCP sockets. The simplest possibility would be to implement a (server-sided) service which can be queried by the scoreboard and just echoes the time of the last score change. This can be done super efficient and would allow short intervals. Even better would be a notification service based on persistent client connections. Because a TCP connection is bi-directional, the clients could be notified just some ms after new data is ready. This is great, but it also requires some more effort (some might call it overkill, but you also get the best result).
An ActionScript coder is needed for any of those approaches.

Collecting the data from the dedicated server will be the easiest thing of all. Either as a plugin for an existing server controller or standalone. Either using PHP or any of the above mentioned alternatives written in other languages. It doesn't really matter. The difficulty only depends on what information the scoreboard is going to display.

You said something about a database, is there any specific reason for this? I guess it depends a bit on what the scoreboard is going to display. This has to be worked out first as it defines the complexity of the project. What comes to my mind are things like: Matchname (s.), relay link (s.), team names (s.), overall match score, current round score, current map, etc. Some values are static (s.) and don't change during a match, but have to be loaded from somewhere first.

Those are my thoughts on something which has been waiting on my todo list for quite some time.. It's an effort and requires motivation. And maybe it's even completely different from what you're wanting to do. If it is, we could try to bring it down to a common denominator and do something simple. An ActionScript coder is still missing anyway :).

Terzalo
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN, TMUF

Post by Terzalo » 15 Aug 2010 15:16

Hi there!
I can help with AS and PHP.
Svens is right, this thing needs sockets to work.
Server application collects data from TM server (I don't really know how, I never worked with TM dedicated servers), builds a XML stream and sends to connected Flash clients. And Flash tansforms XML to readable data.
Clent-side app seems to be not really difficult - it just recieves data and displays it.