FIX FOR SAITEK KEYBOARDS

Answers to the most commonly asked questions with both user created and official tutorials

Moderator: TM-Patrol

k4rma
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by k4rma » 20 May 2007 17:12

What about if you have a saitek AND vista? I cant find out how to disable it.

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 14 Jun 2007 19:42

Stickying it since this problem will probably be coming up a lot again with all the new players from Steam

TcS|Shark
highway camper
highway camper

Post by TcS|Shark » 14 Jun 2007 19:58

k4rma wrote:What about if you have a saitek AND vista? I cant find out how to disable it.
I haven't tried it on vista yet. I will try it when I get home and see what I can find and post how to fix it.

Unclean009
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Unclean009 » 15 Jun 2007 00:14

TcS|Shark wrote:
k4rma wrote:What about if you have a saitek AND vista? I cant find out how to disable it.
I haven't tried it on vista yet. I will try it when I get home and see what I can find and post how to fix it.
yeah, I'm pretty sure that it doesn't work for vista

Lunix
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Lunix » 15 Jun 2007 01:12

It may be slightly different for people depending on which order you installed your usb devices but I,ve highlighted the one I disabled under vista for trackmania united purchased though steam.
It will not show up as "USB Gaming Keyboard Pro" as you can see for the location which might confuse people.
This works fine for the other trackmania games too on vista.

Travlyte
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Travlyte » 04 Jul 2007 17:22

Thnx for the input,I'll chech it out

nthexwn
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMN/TMNF

Re: FIX FOR SAITEK KEYBOARDS

Post by nthexwn » 17 Mar 2008 05:35

Well...

I downloaded TMN at the recommendation of some friends and installed it a couple days ago. I didn't know it at the time but it even came with a free virus! (What else can you call a questionably legal program that installs without consent, shows up as a threat on some security programs, and accidentally disables peoples' DVD drives?) Anyway, it would appear that they need to update their virus because it's not compatible with Vista x64. Rather than politely burrowing its way into my operating system like a tic lodging itself into my leg flesh StarForce decided it would be fun to just **** things up completely and prevent my computer from even booting. After I finally got that taken care of and managed to get back into Windows (much to my relief!) I attempted to launch the game, which lo and behold couldn't even get far enough along on its own boot process to crash in a nice dramatic fashion (which would fit the theme here) with a cryptic error message or anything. (I'm just going to ignore the part about the video test that trips over itself) Anyway... Being one who can usually figure things out on my own I decided to try hitting the update button instead, since there were obviously some serious bugs that needed to be patched. So I downloaded the patch and went through the delightful process of letting StarForce throw another boot destroying temper tantrum before cleaning up after it again.

I figured I'd been through enough problems that it would surely work by this point, but I was slightly less than elated to find that the game still wouldn't start. I tried updating again just for good measure and soon learned that this software uses a layered patching scheme. (the kind that should have died off in the late 90s) At least that meant there were more fixes along the way and a chance that this dumb program might actually start up. Of course that also meant that my good friend StarForce and I went at it for another round before I knocked him out (hopefully for good) and regained control of my computer's boot sequence. (Hey, at least by this point I'd gotten the hang of it!) I wasn't expecting much from TMN anymore and was actually finding the whole thing rather funny, so I was actually surprised when the video test WORKED, the benchmark WORKED (At max custom settings, yay!), and the game actually LAUNCHED... Well, sort of.

So there I was trying to type my name. The music was going, I was representing the nation of question marks, and by pressing the up and down arrow keys I could make bits and pieces of the GUI flash red and give me obnoxious messages about how I couldn't name myself "..."

Yeah that's not very cool either, so I tried switching my keyboard to another USB port, launching the game in windowed mode, and praying to the ceiling. I finally gave up and Googled my way back here. I read a lot of irrelevant posts before finally noticing this thread. (My fault really) I was happy to find a moderately complicated solution that was obviously not obvious. I spent a few minutes looking for the right USB device before realizing that I'd have to just start randomly disabling stuff since Vista prefers giving my USB devices names like "0000.000b.0000.001.000.000.000.000.000" instead of anything a human might actually make sense out of. Anyway, after some trial and error I made it PAST the name menu and into the real game!

Needless to say I'm pretty frustrated at this whole experience so far and this had better be a damn good game to make up for all that! :-S

Thanks for letting me vent and more importantly thanks for such a strange solution. I'd never have thought to try that on my own!

-xwn

Hans
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMNF

Post by Hans » 19 Apr 2008 15:14

I don't have a 'USB Human Interface Device' :?
So I still can't play..

nutcracker
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMN

Post by nutcracker » 20 Apr 2008 01:28

nthexwn wrote:Well...

I downloaded TMN at the recommendation of some friends and installed it a couple days ago. I didn't know it at the time but it even came with a free virus! (What else can you call a questionably legal program that installs without consent, shows up as a threat on some security programs, and accidentally disables peoples' DVD drives?) Anyway, it would appear that they need to update their virus because it's not compatible with Vista x64. Rather than politely burrowing its way into my operating system like a tic lodging itself into my leg flesh StarForce decided it would be fun to just **** things up completely and prevent my computer from even booting. After I finally got that taken care of and managed to get back into Windows (much to my relief!) I attempted to launch the game, which lo and behold couldn't even get far enough along on its own boot process to crash in a nice dramatic fashion (which would fit the theme here) with a cryptic error message or anything. (I'm just going to ignore the part about the video test that trips over itself) Anyway... Being one who can usually figure things out on my own I decided to try hitting the update button instead, since there were obviously some serious bugs that needed to be patched. So I downloaded the patch and went through the delightful process of letting StarForce throw another boot destroying temper tantrum before cleaning up after it again.

I figured I'd been through enough problems that it would surely work by this point, but I was slightly less than elated to find that the game still wouldn't start. I tried updating again just for good measure and soon learned that this software uses a layered patching scheme. (the kind that should have died off in the late 90s) At least that meant there were more fixes along the way and a chance that this dumb program might actually start up. Of course that also meant that my good friend StarForce and I went at it for another round before I knocked him out (hopefully for good) and regained control of my computer's boot sequence. (Hey, at least by this point I'd gotten the hang of it!) I wasn't expecting much from TMN anymore and was actually finding the whole thing rather funny, so I was actually surprised when the video test WORKED, the benchmark WORKED (At max custom settings, yay!), and the game actually LAUNCHED... Well, sort of.

So there I was trying to type my name. The music was going, I was representing the nation of question marks, and by pressing the up and down arrow keys I could make bits and pieces of the GUI flash red and give me obnoxious messages about how I couldn't name myself "..."

Yeah that's not very cool either, so I tried switching my keyboard to another USB port, launching the game in windowed mode, and praying to the ceiling. I finally gave up and Googled my way back here. I read a lot of irrelevant posts before finally noticing this thread. (My fault really) I was happy to find a moderately complicated solution that was obviously not obvious. I spent a few minutes looking for the right USB device before realizing that I'd have to just start randomly disabling stuff since Vista prefers giving my USB devices names like "0000.000b.0000.001.000.000.000.000.000" instead of anything a human might actually make sense out of. Anyway, after some trial and error I made it PAST the name menu and into the real game!

Needless to say I'm pretty frustrated at this whole experience so far and this had better be a damn good game to make up for all that! :-S

Thanks for letting me vent and more importantly thanks for such a strange solution. I'd never have thought to try that on my own!

-xwn
All I can say to that is... I feel you. haha same exact problem, and i understand how you're frustration+determination to make this work made you wonderfully craft this essay on the experience of downloading TMNF. Ill do the trial and error thing now. Thanks!

Rommel
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMNF

Post by Rommel » 23 Apr 2008 02:20

So can we ever expect a real fix for this instead of this bandaid?
I for one hate having to disable my volume controls (Thats what disabling the device does for me) every time I want to play.

MonsterSound
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TM-freebie

Post by MonsterSound » 24 Apr 2008 01:16

I came to the forum hoping to find this information and there it was. :D
I had to disable devices one by one as stated, as in Vista there are many at location 0000.001a.0000.002.000.000.000.000.000.
...but it works.
Thanks for posting this.
P.s. You might want to include the Vista specific info in your initial instructions too.
Heatware :cool: eBay
E8400 Core2 @ 4.0ghz, Ninja.b | XFX8800GTS-512mb 740/2180 | GA-P35DS3R | G.SKILL 2X2GB DDR2-1000 | NZXT hush | Layla Echo3g | 500gb Raid 0 | z-5500 | Saitek Eclipse | 22" Mitsu100e | APC1400

stoo
highway camper
highway camper

Post by stoo » 24 Apr 2008 10:52

Hey guys. Not played TM in a while and kinda forgot about this thread. Anyway, I still haven't moved to Vista so if anyone running Vista can give me a reliable, easily reproducible set of step-by-step instructions for Vista I'll add them to my post at the start of this thread.

Also, thanks to everyone who thanked me in this thread. Happy to help! :D

adrake86
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: trackmania nations

Post by adrake86 » 25 Apr 2008 19:53

For vista you just have to go through and randomely disable a device. it worked after I did the first 3 from the bottom.

My setup
vista x64
4gig ram
8800 gts 512
saitek keyboard
g5 mouse

Retodon8
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMU(F), TM2:C
Manialink(s): Retodon8

Post by Retodon8 » 27 Apr 2008 00:47

The very first post states this is only for Windows XP, but nowhere it says exactly what problem it solves.
If you ask me, that's pretty important to know. :)

Of course lots of people who ask about the problem get pointed here and know already, but what if somebody actually doesn't ask before reading the FAQ stuff and opens this thread because he has a Saitek keyboard...
If it was me, I'd really like to know this was actually about my problem and not something I never had.
Яєזσםση8
ImageImage

pop3ju1cy
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: tms

Post by pop3ju1cy » 01 May 2008 19:10

m8 you beauty i been pulling my hair out trying sort this game out i've deleted reinstalled it an re downloaded it THANK'S M8 :1 :1 :1 :1