My server isn't accessable/firewall/router problems

Answers to the most commonly asked questions with both user created and official tutorials

Moderator: TM-Patrol

BLaHiTiS
lord of the roads
lord of the roads
Owned TM-games: tmu tmo tms tmn
Manialink(s): muxitis

Post by BLaHiTiS » 11 Jun 2006 13:24

I said it befor, this is one of the nastiest problem in the world of trackmania, and i also think it's an annoying one.. the tutorial kinda assumes that you have a router that has exact industry standard specification and don't act up..

there's lots of routers that have counter productive software crashes, rudimentary forwarding implementation and the likes.. that makes it very tricky

In an ideal world, everyone would buy the best router around that is flexible and transparently configurable...

• MB:Asus P8 H61
  • CPU:Intel i5 2400
  • RAM:8 Gb
  • GFX:Asus GTX-580 (1500mb DDR5) - Forceware 75.33
  • DirectX: June 2011
  • SND:Realtek HD on mobo
[/size]

cannunz
highway camper
highway camper

Post by cannunz » 20 Jun 2006 13:37

Sorry, I've problem. I run normally the dedicated server, I receive the same message (you seem on a private network blabla ecc), but I've configured corretly every parameter, in fact people can join on my server. The problem is that I can't join! I receive abitually the message that explains: "failed or disconnected to the server (number)"! why???

MistaObvious
road tourist
road tourist

Post by MistaObvious » 20 Jun 2006 13:54

Someone posted elsewhere that the warning you're quoting is just that, a warning. It's not always necessarily true that people won't connect to you. For you connecting, however, there was a post (and I think it's in the dedicated server thread either here in the FAQ forum or in the Toolbox forum) that explains if you're trying to connect to the server on the same computer as the dedicated server there's something else you need to do (specifically what, I can't remember, but it's not hard). Search either of those forums for the dedicated server threads and you should find the answer you're looking for.

storm
highway camper
highway camper

Post by storm » 09 Jul 2006 15:21

hi,
going mad about makeing my server joinable.
I have to say that I'm no genius when it comes to settings and similars but the tutorial at the beginning of the tred seemed clear even to me.
but..........the server is visible....but you can't join.....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggh
I get a message that I'm on a private network and nobody can join unkess I configure my NAT.
????????? and what the hell is that now.
HELP

RavenZero
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMN & TMU

Post by RavenZero » 09 Jul 2006 18:51

hmmm, as i had posted before, i used this site to know HOW to unblock ports in my router >> http://www.portforward.com

storm
highway camper
highway camper

Post by storm » 10 Jul 2006 15:04

mmmmmm.......didn't help.....couldn't find my router model and the other ones of the same brand have different settings layouts.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway.......one thing that I could have done wrong is.......the tutorial tells about TCP and UDP and this is what I get as settings......**** I don't know how to upload an image here.....ok...I get

id.........public port starts........public port end.........private port........port type........host IP address

1...........2350.........................2350.......................2350..................TCP...............11.1.111.11

the local Ip id was ferified with the link at the beginning of the tutorial

same settings for the UDP port

2...........2350........................2350........................2350.................UDP...............11.1.111.11

in the game settings I get

server port.........................2350
p2p port.........................3450
client port................................0
port broadcast length..............20
use local address..................yes
force server address..11.1.111.11 as in the host IP address of the router settings

is it the p2p port that I have to add as for the TCP and UDP????

I'm lost :oops:

RavenZero
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMN & TMU

Post by RavenZero » 10 Jul 2006 20:59

ok, let's see, so your server is joinable now?

if yes, so you really must unblock the P2P ports too, remember the protocol P2P uses TCP/IP and UDP too, like any P2P program.

if no, try to set Global Address(some kind of rules, may have Global Adress From and To, just set both with the value showed below):

Global Address : 0.0.0.0

after do the same with the P2P ports

REMEMBER you do it all on NAT Config.

if it doesn't helps, try to get further help at Technical Support :wink:

storm
highway camper
highway camper

Post by storm » 12 Jul 2006 15:24

still not joinable......gggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Can't find this Global Address anywhere in the setting of the router, not even in the settings of the NAT.
If I'm not mistaken my provider works with Dymanic DNS IP and not with Static....could that be the core of my probblem????
Other guys in Italy, as far as I know, have servers running under the same provider, but they have a modem and not a router....does it makes any difference???
I've contacted the Tec Support of my router as well and they tell me, since I've sent them a bunch of screens, that for what the see the settings of the router are correct.
I'M HAVEING A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN.........aaaarrrgghhhh

Funnyman
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMU, TMF

Post by Funnyman » 18 Jul 2006 06:41

I have got a populair dutch server running
opened all usual ports even tried going out of dmz but mod's are not working
Downloaded the mod's with loc files and their maps with tmup
I have also bought a copy of TMS to authenticate the server account to enable p2p port

Still no joy

Are there any service dependencies ? extra software ?
is there anyone who's got the mods working that can tell me what to do ?

I run the dedisoftware release 30-05-2006 on xp pro
with servermania 0.78, Aseco, TMOS and RASP
Ð Ξ F u n n y M a n

baz
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by baz » 11 Aug 2006 23:02

edit: i just solved the problem, i probably should've read it somewhere else but anyone having failed UDP connections to a multi-homed linux server should consider the following configuration options:

Code: Select all

<force_ip_address>0.0.0.0:0</force_ip_address>
<bind_ip_address>your.ip.address.here</bind_ip_address>
hey there.. i've setup a server, opened ports 2350 TCP+UDP and 3450 TCP.

now when i try to connect it says 'falling back to TCP support', it's not a client issue since i don't have it with other servers (and ppl are complaining about it).

thing is, i don't see nothing being blocked by the firewalls on either side (looking at the logs) in fact, i can see UDP going out (for this attempt) and there is even one succesfull reply.

Bak1nBlak
highway camper
highway camper

TmNationsESWC allows you to create internet games and echang

Post by Bak1nBlak » 13 Aug 2006 16:35

TmNationsESWC allows you to create internet games and echange data with other players
(peer to peer).
We're now checking your network connection, so that you can configure your firewall.

i get stuck at this part any1 know what to do??? it always stays at htis part....never moves on...what to do???!?!?!?!?

gameyoda
highway camper
highway camper

Post by gameyoda » 19 Aug 2006 09:47

I did all Popgun sayd that has to be done. I also put all my firewalls down once and still I cant see, connect and/or create servers for others. Can somebody tell me what to do?

zealex
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMS, TMN

Post by zealex » 30 Aug 2006 09:45

Same prob....

I have tried like hundreds of times and no use.. i just cant understand the crap...
even taking down the firewall doesnt help.
I don't understand whats a router :D, so i have tried both ways, router thing and firewall.. and i still end up with an un-accessible server :? :( I dont know what to do anymore.. :? any help?

nechic
cyclist
cyclist

Post by nechic » 02 Sep 2006 09:08

How would I fill in?? I´m looser in this :?

XiXiDu
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMU

Post by XiXiDu » 02 Sep 2006 12:54

Just think about a router as a device (hardware/machine) that allows more than one computer to use the same internert connection. Basically a router is also just a computer (PC) but with the only aim of routing data transfer. And ports are like doors in a house. Imagine a big house with a lot of rooms that got doors and every door/room has a special number. Now imagine every room is a computer. You are sitting in this room and wait for people (data) to enter the house (router), come to your room (computer) and use the door (port) to enter it. If they can't find the door or if it is locked, they can't enter and visit you. Vice versa, you can't leave the room if the door is locked, neither can you leave the house (router) and enter the street (internet) if you can't find the way out. So what can we do about this? We have to create a plan (routing and port forwarding) which we put at the entrance of the house (router) so people (data) know how to find a certain door (port) to enter the room (computer) behind it. Also we may have to unlock the door (port) from within (firewall).

Routing traffic and forwarding ports means to give people or data a discription on how to find a certain door or port to enter a certain room or computer. Unlocking a door/port means to open this port/door in your room/computer (firewall).

You have to see that there are a number of ports that are only available once for every internet connection. And if a certain application uses a special port but you use more than one computer with one internert connection that only includes this port once, you have to choose a certain computer that will be allowed to use this port.

All you have to do is open the ports in two computers. The router and your PC. In the router by forwarding ports, or in other words by routing the data transfer entering a certain port to a certain computer. And in the PC by unlocking/opening the port in your firewall for a certain application. With a firewall you allow certain programs to use certain doors (ports).

This isn't all technical correct but maybe it helps you understand what this is all about basically. :oops:

Also note that you should use a static network address. A network address is like an intranet IP. What this means is that a network address is the name of a room (computer) in a house (intranet/router) and the so called IP number is the address of the house in the city. If you have a notebook and move to a different room all the time (dynamic network address/dhcp), you can't create a plan (route data transfer) to tell people (data) in which room (computer) they can find you. You don't have to worry about your dynamic IP (address of your house) normally. At least as long as you only invite people (data) by telling them where to find you every time you change your address. If you always want them be able to find you without telling them anything, then you need a static IP address. Or you get a nickname for your dynamic address, a so called dynamic dns. Using this nickname people will be able to get your current address (IP) without that you have to tell them it manually. http://www.dyndns.org