My server isn't accessable/firewall/router problems

Answers to the most commonly asked questions with both user created and official tutorials

Moderator: TM-Patrol

nechic
cyclist
cyclist

Post by nechic » 02 Sep 2006 20:56

XiXiDu wrote:Just think about a router as a device (hardware/machine) that allows more than one computer to use the same internert connection. Basically a router is also just a computer (PC) but with the only aim of routing data transfer. And ports are like doors in a house. Imagine a big house with a lot of rooms that got doors and every door/room has a special number. Now imagine every room is a computer. You are sitting in this room and wait for people (data) to enter the house (router), come to your room (computer) and use the door (port) to enter it. If they can't find the door or if it is locked, they can't enter and visit you. Vice versa, you can't leave the room if the door is locked, neither can you leave the house (router) and enter the street (internet) if you can't find the way out. So what can we do about this? We have to create a plan (routing and port forwarding) which we put at the entrance of the house (router) so people (data) know how to find a certain door (port) to enter the room (computer) behind it. Also we may have to unlock the door (port) from within (firewall).

Routing traffic and forwarding ports means to give people or data a discription on how to find a certain door or port to enter a certain room or computer. Unlocking a door/port means to open this port/door in your room/computer (firewall).

You have to see that there are a number of ports that are only available once for every internet connection. And if a certain application uses a special port but you use more than one computer with one internert connection that only includes this port once, you have to choose a certain computer that will be allowed to use this port.

All you have to do is open the ports in two computers. The router and your PC. In the router by forwarding ports, or in other words by routing the data transfer entering a certain port to a certain computer. And in the PC by unlocking/opening the port in your firewall for a certain application. With a firewall you allow certain programs to use certain doors (ports).

This isn't all technical correct but maybe it helps you understand what this is all about basically. :oops:

Also note that you should use a static network address. A network address is like an intranet IP. What this means is that a network address is the name of a room (computer) in a house (intranet/router) and the so called IP number is the address of the house in the city. If you have a notebook and move to a different room all the time (dynamic network address/dhcp), you can't create a plan (route data transfer) to tell people (data) in which room (computer) they can find you. You don't have to worry about your dynamic IP (address of your house) normally. At least as long as you only invite people (data) by telling them where to find you every time you change your address. If you always want them be able to find you without telling them anything, then you need a static IP address. Or you get a nickname for your dynamic address, a so called dynamic dns. Using this nickname people will be able to get your current address (IP) without that you have to tell them it manually. http://www.dyndns.org
Nice definition,but I don´t know how I have to fill in :? .I know I am lammer
This configuration is bad.Nobody can connect to my server.Whats wrong?
Image :cry:

XiXiDu
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMU

Post by XiXiDu » 03 Sep 2006 09:11

That's a really weird router you got there. Check this tutorial and just ask if that doesn't help you:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... al_War.htm

nechic
cyclist
cyclist

Post by nechic » 03 Sep 2006 09:18

XiXiDu wrote:That's a really weird router you got there. Check this tutorial and just ask if that doesn't help you:

thx,destination IP is LAN IP my computer?

EDIT: I did it,but It still makes error 10061

XiXiDu
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by XiXiDu » 03 Sep 2006 09:32

nechic wrote:
XiXiDu wrote:That's a really weird router you got there. Check this tutorial and just ask if that doesn't help you:

thx,destination IP is LAN IP my computer?
The destination IP is the intranet, network or LAN IP of your computer, yes. You should have set it up under start/system settings/network connections/lan-connection right click properties, internet protocol (tcp/ip), properties IP-Address.

XiXiDu
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by XiXiDu » 03 Sep 2006 09:34

nechic wrote:EDIT: I did it,but It still makes error 10061
Do you have a firewall too? And are you sure you have set up a static lan ip for your computer?

Put the same IP you use to login to your router configuration for Default gateway and Preferred DNS server.

nechic
cyclist
cyclist

Post by nechic » 03 Sep 2006 09:54

XiXiDu wrote:
nechic wrote:EDIT: I did it,but It still makes error 10061
Do you have a firewall too? And are you sure you have set up a static lan ip for your computer?

Put the same IP you use to login to your router configuration for Default gateway and Preferred DNS server.
Oh,I set up obtain the IP adres automaticali,it could be this :wink:
I have no firewall and windows firewall is off

XiXiDu
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by XiXiDu » 03 Sep 2006 10:11

nechic wrote:Oh,I set up obtain the IP adres automaticali,it could be this :wink:
That's exactly the problem. You have to set up an IP address there and forward the ports to that address.

For you it should work like this:

IP address: 192.168.1.173
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Preferred DNS: 192.168.1.1

Also use these settings for port forwarding where the IP address is the IP you have to forward the ports to!

nechic
cyclist
cyclist

Post by nechic » 03 Sep 2006 12:01

XiXiDu wrote:
nechic wrote:Oh,I set up obtain the IP adres automaticali,it could be this :wink:
That's exactly the problem. You have to set up an IP address there and forward the ports to that address.

For you it should work like this:

IP address: 192.168.1.173
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Preferred DNS: 192.168.1.1

Also use these settings for port forwarding where the IP address is the IP you have to forward the ports to!
I set up this,but it is stil bad :cry: .I don´t understand it.What is 192.168.1.173?
My setting in TMN

XiXiDu
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by XiXiDu » 03 Sep 2006 12:19

No, I have choosen that as your LAN IP for your computer because I thought it will most likely not be in use. Forward your ports to that IP in your router...but first set it up as I have written above!

nechic
cyclist
cyclist

Post by nechic » 03 Sep 2006 12:31

XiXiDu wrote:No, I have choosen that as your LAN IP for your computer because I thought it will most likely not be in use. Forward your ports to that IP in your router...but first set it up as I have written above!
My LAN IP is 192.168.1.2 ,but I have to forward ports to 192.168.1.173?I don´t know whats 192.168.1.173

XiXiDu
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by XiXiDu » 03 Sep 2006 13:30

nechic wrote:
XiXiDu wrote:No, I have choosen that as your LAN IP for your computer because I thought it will most likely not be in use. Forward your ports to that IP in your router...but first set it up as I have written above!
My LAN IP is 192.168.1.2 ,but I have to forward ports to 192.168.1.173?I don´t know whats 192.168.1.173
You said you don't have a static LAN IP set up so 192.168.1.2 is probably your current dynamical assigned network IP. I told you where you have to go to set up a static IP and just picked .173 randomly.

Read this http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

http://www.portforward.com/ - Best you read the whole site!

http://www.homenethelp.com/

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/ ... ng-dmz.asp - This too!

nechic
cyclist
cyclist

Post by nechic » 03 Sep 2006 14:41

My settings:

I made ruies
For my IP:
Port forwarding:
Define IP:
Whats wrong?All ports are opened for my IP.But router wrote,that my IP is dynamic(192.168.1.173).
:roll: :cry:
TMN is also cofigured

XiXiDu
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by XiXiDu » 03 Sep 2006 15:16

Looking good so far but there in your router, for the rules, the network mask should be 255.255.255.0 and not 255.255.255.255 as you have written.

If you have changed that and it still doesn't work, you might also try DMZ which will open all ports for your computer. It isn't a very secure method to open up all ports but it might do it if you can't get it to work with port forwarding. Just click on DMZ there and enter your LAN IP 192.168.1.173. But note that this will open up all ports which can be a security vulnerability if you don't have a software firewall installed as well.

nechic
cyclist
cyclist

Post by nechic » 03 Sep 2006 18:22

XiXiDu wrote:Looking good so far but there in your router, for the rules, the network mask should be 255.255.255.0 and not 255.255.255.255 as you have written.

If you have changed that and it still doesn't work, you might also try DMZ which will open all ports for your computer. It isn't a very secure method to open up all ports but it might do it if you can't get it to work with port forwarding. Just click on DMZ there and enter your LAN IP 192.168.1.173. But note that this will open up all ports which can be a security vulnerability if you don't have a software firewall installed as well.
I cannot change netmask.Where could I change it?I set DMZ enable for my IP,but not help me.Nobody join.Thats lost
EDIT:In router log is this ¨"manager_get_defaults - !node" ,when somebody try to join my server

nechic
cyclist
cyclist

Post by nechic » 05 Sep 2006 13:36

Pls how can I configure source netmask? :(