Unable to connect/Multiplayer

Answers to the most commonly asked questions with both user created and official tutorials

Moderator: TM-Patrol

mr_h
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Unable to connect/Multiplayer

Post by mr_h » 26 May 2011 15:03

Yesterday I purchased Trackmania United Forever Star Edition from Steam (great price, woo). The game runs fine in single player, no issues there. However, when I try to connect online for multiplayer (not connecting to a specific server), I am unable to connect.

The window pops up with the spinning globe and a 'working' icon in the lower right corner. That working icon just spins and spins and spins.....

*I have verified that the ports work (passed through firewall and made sure 'canyouseeme' sees the open ports.
*I've turned on and off advertising, just in case.
*I turned off 'check network connection', but that only informs me that I'm offline, do you want to go online. Then it repeats the spinning globe. Turned it back on.
*I've reset my internet explorer options and verified I've upgraded to the latest version.
*I've verified that I can login to the player.trackmania.com website with my username.

When I play solo, it does seem to download the rankings of the people in the country/state, as well as leader boards. However, nothing else seems to come up.

Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks

TMU Forever Star Edition (Steam)
Windows 7 (64 bit)
Internet Explorer 9
12 gigs of ram

Alinoa
Developer
Developer

Re: Unable to connect/Multiplayer

Post by Alinoa » 27 May 2011 10:04

Did you contact the technical support of Steam ?
To add a server in your favorit list, copy this link in your game’s browser address bar
tmtp://#addfavourite=serverlogin

For direct hosting open to all, write <hide_server>1</hide_server> in the command line and use
tmtp://#join=serverlogin

mr_h
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Re: Unable to connect/Multiplayer

Post by mr_h » 27 May 2011 12:16

Yes, I'm still awaiting a response from Steam.

I did get the thing working however, in a strange and accidental way. While I was working on backing up my profile for a fresh/clean install, I accidently double clicked on the file that contained my profile.

That launched Trackmania (as it's supposed to) AND successfully logged onto the multiplayer network.
Why it did this I have no idea, but it seems to be the only way I can do multiplayer right now. (I startup Trackmania, wait for the globe to start spinning, then double click a shortcut to my profile).