Playing official on your own server: SOLVED!!!!

Answers to the most commonly asked questions with both user created and official tutorials

Moderator: TM-Patrol

damadman
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by damadman » 05 Jun 2007 08:07

Mistral wrote:I wrote it in the other thread and ill write it here again ...

IF your server is running on another machine in your LAN ... Add the external address as second ip to the server and add a static host route to this machine to your TMN-Game-Machine and it will work...

you need some knowledge about routing and IP, but this issue is easy to solve.
OK so for any IP beginner who hasnt really got a scooby the means.......
On the server..
Goto control panel - network connections - local area connection - properties
select internet protocol and click properties
ensure it says use following ip address and complete the boxes eg 192.168.1.20 - 255.255.255.0- 192.168.1.1
select advanced
under IPaddess click add and enter your external ip address (this can be found on your router under connection
status) eg 95.165.248.42 - 255.255.255.0 hopefully you will have a static IP address... otherwise
you will have to do this each time you start reboot your router and adjust for your new IP.
click apply ok ok ok etc

On the Game Machine
goto Start - Run
Type: Command
Type: route print
Adjusting for your connections type
route add 95.168.248.42 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.20 IF 2 -p
where 95.168.248.42 is your external IP
192.168.1.20 is the local IP of your server machine
2 is the interface ID of the LAN as its listed from print route
-p makes this change permanent until deleted using route delete 95.168.248.42 otherwise it will be
lost when you reboot

Now that should work and you should connect in perfectly.

That took me 2 minutes and just saved some people about 12 hours.......... It's always worth spelling things out if your answering posts :) even if you think its easy and know what your talking about.

Mistral
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: tmuf

Post by Mistral » 05 Jun 2007 12:27

damadman wrote:It's always worth spelling things out if your answering posts :) even if you think its easy and know what your talking about.
I did:
Mistral wrote:
Knutselmaaster wrote: Excuse me for a dumb question, but WHAT interface?
And WITCH other thread?
Your local ethernet/wlan interface of your server (ipconfig /all)
the thread you might find if you search for it ;) ... i would have to search too ... maybe i will

viewtopic.php?t=1605&start=36

Knutselmaaster
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMO/TMN/TMNF/TMU
Manialink(s): intr

Post by Knutselmaaster » 10 Jun 2007 08:00

/hi

Just wanted to say a few things:
Mistral has been very helpful to me, and did write out everything in the following thread: viewtopic.php?t=1605&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 .

But the problem i stated in that thread remained unsolved, i quote:
/hi

This solution works...but only temporarily.
When I do the above
-I can acces my server via internet in TMN
-I can connect to the desktop of the sever using the wan ip
But it works for about 10 minutes and then i get disconnected in TMN and the desktop logs off, and wont reconnect.
I can still go into lan game or connect to desktop with internal ip tho.
The only solution i've found is to erase the added (wan) ip's and start all over again.

What can it be that causes this problem?

ps when i log on, my dedicated sais my ip is my wan ip, not the "borrowed" ip that i gave, is this normal?
The routing solution did solve this problem! I'm very thankfull, after months of work for Nadeo to get them a good server for their clients i can get the full out of it myself too! (i know this statement is not really true, i did it for myself and not for Nadeo but still.....) :3

A new question arised now tho: Everything is working fine but I get a warning when i log on that udp connection isnt possible and i have to check my firewall.(not really a problem but since my firewall is nicely opened i wonder why) and thus nobody sees my custom car and avatar. (yes i've validated an account)

Greetz

Knutselmaaster
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMO/TMN/TMNF/TMU
Manialink(s): intr

Post by Knutselmaaster » 23 Jun 2007 10:08

Anyone??
Please??

Lusowebsites
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMNF

Re: Playing official on your own server: SOLVED!!!!

Post by Lusowebsites » 16 Jun 2008 20:30

Oldbie wrote:.........
Finally, after several months of seeking and trying I found out what the problem is. Your router has to support NAT loopback. This enables the router to connect to internet and then route back to your LAN. My router wasn't able to do that. I've bought a new router (speedtouch 546), enabled the NAT loopback and thats it!! I'm able to play official on my own server.
a simple way to have loopback with a modem that doesn't support loopback: (for windows)

in the client look for windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

open the file hosts with notepad

This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one space.

example:
host ip 192.168.1.20
host public name lusoweb.sytes.net

add this line:
192.168.1.20 lusoweb.sytes.net

save the file.

now the client is able to reach host with the public name http://lusoweb.sytes.net

this solved all my problems with web server, ftp server, pop3 server, smtp server, shoutcast server, irc server... but it doesn´t solve trackmania server problem