General Discussion about Trackmania United

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Static Juice
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF TM2C

Free update version

Post by Static Juice » 29 Oct 2009 04:36

On the Downloads page of the TrackMania website, there is a free update version for TM-United players to download. I have two questions regarding this:

Firstly, what are all the extensions I get for the game from this download?
And secondly, when I download the file, it finishes downloading at any random point, like 35MB for instance, thus making the installer file corrupt. Why is it doing this?! :ftw: I've tried restarting my download, but then it just goes through the same scenario all over again. :? (By the way, I'm using Internet Explorer, not sure if that has anything to do with the problem)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mixo
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN, TMU
Manialink(s): Mix

Re: Free update version

Post by Mixo » 29 Oct 2009 10:23

The download is to upgrade TMU to TMUF. But you say you already have TMUF ("Owned TM-games: TMUF"), so the download wouldn't be much use to you.

Static Juice
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF TM2C

Post by Static Juice » 30 Oct 2009 02:53

Oh, okay, I see what it is now.

Thanks.

Hotblack
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by Hotblack » 31 Oct 2009 13:50

I've just wasted quite some time downloading this 'update' and then trying in vein to install it. I've now read somewhere (and now here) that this update is only for those who wish to upgrade from TMN to TMU but that's not what it says on the website.

It clearly states "Nadeo offers to Trackmania United players a generous free extension. The united Forever upgrade adds new rich content...etc"

This is a 900mb download so is clearly not a patch and looks like a big upgrade to those that have purchased United. It also has a nice big yellow sticker on it saying "Free Update version" so now I am completely lost. How can it be for those wishing to upgrade from Nations to United if it is Free?

Sorry to be a dunce but this has really annoyed me.

Cheers

Hotblack
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Hotblack » 31 Oct 2009 13:55

Mixo wrote:The download is to upgrade TMU to TMUF. But you say you already have TMUF ("Owned TM-games: TMUF"), so the download wouldn't be much use to you.
Again, sorry for a stupid question but what is TMU? All I can see is TMUF & TMNF.

Cheers

Tom.CZ.73
speed demon
speed demon
Owned TM-games: all PC versions
Manialink(s): Tom.CZ.73, sQs

Post by Tom.CZ.73 » 31 Oct 2009 15:56

Hotblack wrote:
Mixo wrote:The download is to upgrade TMU to TMUF. But you say you already have TMUF ("Owned TM-games: TMUF"), so the download wouldn't be much use to you.
Again, sorry for a stupid question but what is TMU? All I can see is TMUF & TMNF.

Cheers
He is right. It's from TMu->TMuf.

File name is tmunitedforever_fromtmu_setup.exe - pretty self explaing, don't you think ?

Mixo
road tourist
road tourist

Post by Mixo » 31 Oct 2009 17:20

Hotblack wrote:I've now read somewhere (and now here) that this update is only for those who wish to upgrade from TMN to TMU but that's not what it says on the website.

It clearly states "Nadeo offers to Trackmania United players a generous free extension. The united Forever upgrade adds new rich content...etc"

This is a 900mb download so is clearly not a patch and looks like a big upgrade to those that have purchased United. It also has a nice big yellow sticker on it saying "Free Update version" so now I am completely lost. How can it be for those wishing to upgrade from Nations to United if it is Free?

Sorry to be a dunce
It's not an upgrade from Nations to United. Exactly like I wrote here, and exactly like it says on the website, it's an upgrade from TrackMania United to TrackMania United Forever.

Hotblack
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Hotblack » 03 Nov 2009 00:43

Tom.CZ.73 wrote:
Hotblack wrote:

Cheers
He is right. It's from TMu->TMuf.

File name is tmunitedforever_fromtmu_setup.exe - pretty self explaing, don't you think ?
Well, clearly not.

One look at that page and what is clear is that there are two versions, the free one and the bought one. I have no idea what Trackmania United is as there is no mention of it. You may know what it is from your extensive experience but what it is not is 'clear'.

Without either of us get any shirtier, why isn't there any information about what the update is? Why isn't there anything to say "This is for TMU owners only (whatever and whoever they are?) and is not an update for those who have the bought and paid for TMUF? It's little things like this that avoid confusion.

I did get myself confused between Nations and United but by then I was a bit fed up with the lack of any clear info regarding the so called update. I'll just go away now and leave you to impress other n00bs with your condescending repartee. :roll:

Mekanikal
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Post by Mekanikal » 03 Nov 2009 05:16

This is how I understand it:

TrackMania Nations was the old free game.
TrackMania Nations Forever is the new free game.
TrackMania United was the old retail/paid game.
TrackMania United Forever is the new retail/paid game.
The TrackMania United Forever free patch is to update the retail/paid United game to Forever.

(basically they updated and attached the surname Forever)

That would explain the
1) The first link to the free game
2) The second link to buy the whole game outright, and
3) the upgrade link for the old United owners.

Nations is free and United is retail.

Mixo
road tourist
road tourist

Post by Mixo » 03 Nov 2009 07:09

Hotblack wrote:why isn't there any information about what the update is? Why isn't there anything to say "This is for TMU owners only (whatever and whoever they are?) and is not an update for those who have the bought and paid for TMUF? It's little things like this that avoid confusion.
You're right, the site could be a lot clearer for people who are new to TrackMania since Forever came out. It's been 1.5 years and a lot of new players.

But if you think TMU/TMN/TMUF/TMNF is confusing, wait till you hear about TrackMania Original, the 4th TM released. And soon there'll be TrackMania 2. Ah, more fun times.