Moderator: TM-Patrol

Queen Jadis
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMUF,TMNF,TMSX,TMN
Manialink(s): jadis

Account probably hacked

Post by Queen Jadis » 21 Apr 2010 19:48

It's pure horror; first some medals and autosaves vanish, now it seems as if my account has been deleted but I certainly did NOT delete it! It does not show up and I can't select my profile even though my score file still exists. :x
Last edited by Queen Jadis on 22 Apr 2010 21:46, edited 4 times in total.

Queen Jadis
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Re: Account not showing up in menu PLEASE HELP!!

Post by Queen Jadis » 21 Apr 2010 20:03

Ok, now I've recreated my profile.. (since I still know my login and pw). However, all ghost replays were deleted, avatar, player description and car not saved either. I would really like to know what this means...

Queen Jadis
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Re: Account not showing up in menu PLEASE HELP!!

Post by Queen Jadis » 22 Apr 2010 14:23

I had to enter validation key for ingame messages and all of my maps in My Campaign were deleted :!:. Statistics and input settings were reset too.

Acceleracer_01
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMF, TM2

Re: Account probably hacked - 1k coppers for solution

Post by Acceleracer_01 » 22 Apr 2010 20:19

Sounds really strange...maybe some kind of error deleted the scorefiles, so TM had to create new ones...can´t help you that much.
greetz,

Queen Jadis
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Re: Account probably hacked - 1k coppers for solution

Post by Queen Jadis » 22 Apr 2010 21:45

Hm i still have the score files but I was really shocked when I couldn't select my profile anymore. A friend of mine suggested that it might have been hacked... which is certainly not impossible. Still, I'm not sure about it, that's why I ask you here... hm, I guess someone has to know the answer :|.

Dec
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF

Re: Account probably hacked

Post by Dec » 23 Apr 2010 06:40

Perhaps you changed the option under configure -> profile from 'use multiple profiles' to 'use single profile'? Can't really think of any other explanation for this issue.

lille79
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Post by lille79 » 23 Apr 2010 08:14

Or you've moved your My Documents-folder or something has done changes to your system. Scan your computer for trojans and viruses.
/lille79
Old man of the Norwegian Trackmania team Super Sheep Racing
To visit my homepage/blog, and download the usbTMFserver, this is the place to go.

Mixo
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN, TMU
Manialink(s): Mix

Post by Mixo » 23 Apr 2010 10:40

Just out of interest, is there anything in My Documents\TrackMania\CorruptedFiles?

Queen Jadis
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Queen Jadis » 23 Apr 2010 13:07

@dec: It has nothing to do with that. I did not change anything.

@lille79: I did not move MyDocuments folder but I'm gonna make a system check :thumbsup:

@mixo: nope
My manialink: Jadiscolor>
My TM Blog

Steve_59
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Post by Steve_59 » 24 Apr 2010 00:50

Does the machine shutdown correctly or does it hang when you shutdown?
Wham! BAM! Thank you ma'am!

PeteBroad
road tourist
road tourist

Post by PeteBroad » 24 Apr 2010 09:49

I doubt that it's been hacked, the fact that the campaign maps, ghosts, etc have vanished would mean that someone would need direct access to your computer to delete them. I have several computers and its only possible to delete files from the my documents folder from another computer if its set it up to be a shared folder, it isn't shared by default. In view of the problems you've been having I would suggest a couple of things. From my own past experiences I would say that once files start vanishing on a regular basis it's usually down to a failing hard drive. These can fail in a number of ways, ie instant death or a slow deterioration as sectors become unreadable. You should run a thorough check on the hard disk including a surface scan. If the surface scan comes back O.K then you should check your memory out, it could be that it's faulty. There's plenty of freeware memory checkers such as Memcheck. I presume that Trackmania isn't crashing or causing random reboots??

Also, have a look to see if there are any folders with the name Found.001, Found.002, etc. Files that are "lost" usually go in there.

Cheers,

Pete

Queen Jadis
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Queen Jadis » 24 Apr 2010 12:11

Thanks Pete, actually it crashed once (only yesterday) and I have no idea what could have caused it.. I'll have a look for these files.

PeteBroad
road tourist
road tourist

Post by PeteBroad » 28 Apr 2010 00:26

The files won't be there until you run a diskcheck. I suspect they have become detached from the file allocation table, but even if they show up in the found folder there's not a lot you can do as they will have lost their original names. It will however show that they haven't been deleted. You should also check that your Hard Disk has the NTFS file system. This is much sturdier than the old FAT32 system and will in most cases survive an unexpected crash, reboot or power failure without any data loss.

Cheers,

Pete

Queen Jadis
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Queen Jadis » 28 Apr 2010 13:10

Hm ok, as I have the NTFS file system (of course, I've always had it) I assume there's not such a high risk of an unexpected data loss. Actually, most things were reset only because I had to recreate my profile.

Once again something very weird happened: my profile is suddenly diplayed twice when I start the game :?!

PeteBroad
road tourist
road tourist

Post by PeteBroad » 29 Apr 2010 23:05

Queen Jadis wrote:
Once again something very weird happened: my profile is suddenly diplayed twice when I start the game :?!
I've seen something weird too. One of my Nations accounts showed up as a United account. I was able to play the United courses but couldn't play them in official mode as the official mode button never showed up. It was there for a couple of weeks before it magically changed back to Nations. I guess in your case that you have somehow created a duplicated profile file but I don't really know.

Yes, NTFS can handle the issue of open files much better than Fat32. It isn't perfect though and if for example your Trackmania profile or score is being updated when the system crashes then file corruption is highly likely. I do a scheduled daily backup of my profile and score files and a weekly backup of the entire Trackmania folder. The only slight problem is that a few challenge courses have non standard names (Chinese or Russian maybe) and can't be backed up or copied.

Pete