General Discussion about Trackmania United

Moderator: TM-Patrol

quincy35191
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMU

Multiple users playing trackmania

Post by quincy35191 » 26 Jul 2010 02:17

Ok so i just bought trackmania united CD-rom and installed it and everything. It was installed so that all the users on my PC can play on their own user profiles. I made my account just fine but my brother wants to play to but he cant create his own account. is their a way for him to make an account without buying a whole new serial code.

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Re: Multiple users playing trackmania

Post by jamie_macdonald » 26 Jul 2010 08:35

You can make as many accounts for solo play (offline) as you like, if it is for online play with other people in servers you will need to purchase a copy per person.

Hope that helps clarify. :thumbsup:

quincy35191
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by quincy35191 » 26 Jul 2010 12:56

Thanks

Grmork
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMU

Post by Grmork » 16 Aug 2011 20:14

First:
Please forgive me for replying to an old thread, however I've been searching for a couple of months now and this thread seems to be the closest post to my current issue, but it doesn't quite answer my exact issue.

Second (brief background):
I run a technology program for kids and as part of the program they can play games that we tie back into other parts of the program. We've been playing TMNF on our local network and doing in-house track building competitions and such.

Third (actual issue):
I recently purchased and installed TMUF (via Ubisoft download) on all of the Win7 Pro 64bit machines in the lab. The game runs perfectly fine for the administrator accounts, but for some reason asks for the player key on non-admin accounts (I've set windows to run C:\Program Files (x86)\TmUnitedForever\TmForever.exe and ...TmForeverLauncher.exe as Administrator for all users). If you choose "cancel" it will allow you to get to the first screen where you can set video settings and such, but once you hit "play" it comes up with the "Please register your player key with the game launcher." error. All of this is well before you choose which in-game/on or offline profile you want to use. In actuality I'd rather the students not be able to play online anyway, but I would hope that they would be able to play on our local network using the licenses that we paid for. Can anyone think of any reason that multiple Windows users on the same computer would get this message and not be able to play locally?

Please let me know if I missed another thread that has the answer, if you need more information, etc.

Thanks in advance! :)

firstdriver
tricycle manager
tricycle manager
Owned TM-games: tmuf

Post by firstdriver » 17 Aug 2011 01:51

HiGrmork, The key/serial that comes with TMUF allows only one person to be online at a time and when you start TMUF you sign in online. If more than one computer tries to go online, only the first computer will be allowed access. All the others must use TMNU. Have you tried connecting just to your closed network, and NOT the internet ... it might work that way as Nadeo isn't involved and as far as I can assertain, you are not doing any wrong :)

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Post by jamie_macdonald » 17 Aug 2011 09:54

Yup, i concurr. You can create as many accounts as you like for local LAN play and use the one copy of the game to install on other machines. of course these other accounts created will not have any online functions, but you should easily be able to create a new account per PC and play on LAN,

With the settings you have, it seems like maybe the data folder for the installation was created in the admin profile and therefore under /users/administrator/ (or some OS dependant derivitave) so maybe the other non admin profiles do not have access to this folder?

I would probably install this again under a user profile in this circumstance, as then maybe all users can access the games data folder (well least thats how i would try to bodge it).

Hope this may help in some way, and good luck :thumbsup:

Grmork
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMU

Post by Grmork » 17 Aug 2011 15:26

Hi Firstdriver and Jamie,

Thanks for your quick replies!

I should clarify that I purchased 13 licenses (technically purchased 14 with a spare for testing) to use on 13 machines. Each machine had the game installed with an individual license that was assigned to it.

Unless something is happening in the background, I'm pretty sure that my errors are coming up before the game attempts to go online and check with the master server. Even on the admin accounts I always "Continue offline". The only account I've ever setup online is my personal account at home with a different license. But with this error, I never make it to that point.

Here's what happens:

Log in to the computer with a non-admin account. Click on the TMUF shortcut, get the popup error for TMUF Ver 2.11.26 en which asks for the player key. Hit Cancel. It does the usual check for an update and brings you to the TMUF small screen with the options: Play, Configure, Help, Update, Exit. At this point Configure, Help, Update, Exit all work. If you hit Play it looks for a second like it will work but then (as noted above) comes up with the, "Please register your player key with the game launcher." error. At that point your only option is to hit OK which closes the window and doesn't launch the game.

I'm hesitant to enter the key in at the first prompt, because I don't want to link it to a student's temporary user account and if that has to happen for each student, that's no good either because I can't give them the keys. Using an admin account, it doesn't prompt for the key. I'm guessing at this point, if I have to, I might be best off creating a TMUF profile (while in an admin account) for each machine using my e-mail address (which from what I've read on other posts, is possible?).

In response to Jamie's suggestion of installing the game under a regular user account on the machines and to throw another wrench into this mess; The non-admin accounts are roaming profiles on our domain (they reside on a local server) and we have security software that wipes them from the machine at reboot... I've set the security software to allow TMUF to make changes and their documents folder (which houses their TmForever and TrackMania folders that contain their profiles, etc.) is mapped to the server so it is still there when they log in again at any computer. All of which works perfectly fine for TMNF, that is why I'm stumbling a bit with TMUF.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to go back to the "good old days" of slow machines that didn't worry about security and licensing? :roflol: I just want to get back to being this guy--> :pil

Thanks for reading my rambling and any thoughts you might have.

PeterKar88
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMU,TM2V,TM2S,TM2C

Post by PeterKar88 » 02 Jan 2014 08:09

jamie_macdonald wrote:You can make as many accounts for solo play (offline) as you like, if it is for online play with other people in servers you will need to purchase a copy per person.

Hope that helps clarify. :thumbsup:
I sorry to open this tread again but I really have an urgent question. I have bought the Celebrat10n TrackMania Complete Pack and now I want to set up an account for my two brothers. My two brothers will be playing on the same computer as me. They have their own windows login.

However I'm completely lost how to do this. Each time I try to set up an account for them I get either the error: License already in use for another account (online), or when trying to create an offline account I get: Trackmania needs to go online for playing this game.

Do I need to purchase additional license for my brothers to play? They will be only playing offline. Do we need to buy 3 Celebrat10n TrackMania Complete Packs for one computer?! We want our own account so that we can get our own medals.

Since the prompotion-sale only last 9 hours left I hope somebody will reply soon. :cry:

Alinoa
Developer
Developer

Post by Alinoa » 02 Jan 2014 09:09

If you want to play online, register official time (it means having a ranking on the solo campaign), then you need to purchase other licences.
One key allows you to create one online account.
To add a server in your favorit list, copy this link in your game’s browser address bar
tmtp://#addfavourite=serverlogin

For direct hosting open to all, write <hide_server>1</hide_server> in the command line and use
tmtp://#join=serverlogin