BLaHiTiS
lord of the roads
lord of the roads
Owned TM-games: tmu tmo tms tmn
Manialink(s): muxitis

syncronized start on time attack...

Post by BLaHiTiS » 18 Nov 2006 20:45

Well,

I'm running my server for 2 days now.. (well , longer in the beta but ok).

I am trying to have a new kind of mode where you start in a syncronized way.

So, basicly the idea is to always let groups of players depart from the start every 6 seconds. This way, you have the feeling that you are racing someone and on the other note, you don't have to wait so much in rounds when you would suddenly have to restart... You don't even have to wait 6 seconds whenever you start, it can be that long if you are just respawning at the start in the beginning of the interval window.

In rounds you have the thrill of seeing every car fly over the top when it does something wrong, and see the skills of others how they pass you and driving away... The limitation is that you can't restart for the same round but you can respawn (which doesn't really mater anyway cause you'll loose time".

So, I'm just having a bit of a problem if time attadck be seen purely as "associal"? With that i mean, "doing things on my own". So in time attack you get the lowest time only by yourself without bothering with other cars that try to do the same ?

You always pass cars, and even when you syncronize, it's about the feeling that you are driving together, not the miliseconds that you think you miss... ?

So I just wonder, is it really a bad idea ? I would like to keep it as an laternative on the server, but if it stays empty because of that, i rather choose a side. Because I just would like to offer best of both worlds :)

• MB:Asus P8 H61
  • CPU:Intel i5 2400
  • RAM:8 Gb
  • GFX:Asus GTX-580 (1500mb DDR5) - Forceware 75.33
  • DirectX: June 2011
  • SND:Realtek HD on mobo
[/size]

bLaDe.ns
highway camper
highway camper

Post by bLaDe.ns » 18 Nov 2006 20:50

Would be an interresting alternative on my point of view...

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 18 Nov 2006 20:51

However, in synched time attack it looks like all the opponent cars start 0.5-1 sec later, while they don't. I tested this with 2 PCs next to eachother, on both screens the other car was behind a bit. So it doesn't really look like racing at all. It isn't Roundslike either, since you can restart. It's just annoying that you have to wait 3-6 seconds to restart all the time, instead of 2. Especially when the first turn is really hard :P

edit: lol, the way you made that post makes synched time attack look great, but once you play it it's quite disappointing. The poll is quite biased ^^
Also, the server he runs has been in that mode since TMU launched, and no one ever plays on it. And the tracks are fine.

eide
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by eide » 18 Nov 2006 20:53

I think a mode like that would be cool. :D
I really like the intensity of rounds, everyone pushing to be first, and if that could be applied to time attack, I think would love it.

But you would probably still start alone at some times too, especially if there are few people on the server.

Edit: When I think about it, I would probably just play rounds anyways, so the mode would be useless :?
I need to think more before I post.
Warning: Trackmania do affect you driving skills in real life.

BLaHiTiS
lord of the roads
lord of the roads
Owned TM-games: tmu tmo tms tmn
Manialink(s): muxitis

Post by BLaHiTiS » 18 Nov 2006 21:00

I admit it's somehow ambigous, cause the only thing that really causes the "group feeling" is the forced delay at start. but you have forced delay at rounds cause it has to syncronize the players aswell,

But in "Interval Time attack", nothing stops you from trying again if you don't feel like driving with many carss, it's as useless as respawning at a checkpoint if you're really talking about finishing the map as quickly as possible, so where rounds doesn't allow you to do this, in time attack it's useless to respawn. Yet people want respawn to be able to "finish the round" without having to start over, right ?

So i guess there's some levels of how people take trackmania as an experience. This could be one of them...

I don't want to start a war.. just, I'm not close minded either and would stop promoting my server like that if it's really useless for 90% of the people

• MB:Asus P8 H61
  • CPU:Intel i5 2400
  • RAM:8 Gb
  • GFX:Asus GTX-580 (1500mb DDR5) - Forceware 75.33
  • DirectX: June 2011
  • SND:Realtek HD on mobo
[/size]

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 18 Nov 2006 21:22

eide wrote:I think a mode like that would be cool. :D
Would be? It already exists, and it was in TMN all along too.

Drake1009
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Drake1009 » 18 Nov 2006 21:29

I must admit I prefer rounds mode, for more reasons than the common start time, but synchronized start in time attack might be good too, haven't had a chance to try it.

Part of the reason I like Rounds is indeed because you're actually racing someone and can compare.

But I also like rounds because one good time won't win you the round, to win you have to be fastest or fast enough consistently, not just have that single lucky round, but actually prove you can be best consistently.

Also, I like playing in a window, and the time spent waiting for the rest to finish, or the time to run out, either when retirering or finishing fairly fast you can fire off a message in an external IM program or something, or chat in the ingame chat. Sure you can sit and wait out a bit in time-attack, you don't have to be at the ready for the next round, but still I like the synchronized start, the requirement of you being consistently good, not just lucky, and the general feel of the racing in rounds since in rounds you're more likely to start from a checkpoint than just restart, you can still catch up on tricky tracks if others have problems too, or at least have time to scrape a few points even if you wiped out, noone seems to restart from checkpoint in time attack games.

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 18 Nov 2006 21:39

For the time waiting, I often alt-tab out and do something else for a bit, same on the scoreboard. It goes pretty fast. But the 6 sec in synched TA is not enough to do that :P

eide
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by eide » 18 Nov 2006 21:47

Zooz wrote:
eide wrote:I think a mode like that would be cool. :D
Would be? It already exists, and it was in TMN all along too.
0 points for me then :P
In TMN i played just at a few servers, and lately I've almost only played rounds, so haven't tried it.
Warning: Trackmania do affect you driving skills in real life.