What would you like to see new/improved in next update ?

General Discussion about Trackmania United

Moderator: TM-Patrol

0x
cyclist
cyclist

Re: buddy list

Post by 0x » 13 Dec 2006 12:55

ming wrote:An In-game Buddy List would be great.

so that you can see with one click who is online and maybe in what game, including the features to add/remove buddies and see inos about them.(a bit steam-like, i know)

oh yeah, why not integrate Ffeedback/Rumble for gamepads.

and on stadium/dirty, driving should be more accurate, and not as random as now...

cu
Yeah! Excellent idea! In-game friends manager - like in Steam, as u said. In steam it works excellent and gamers are so happy with it, so why not to add it in TMU?
2Sexy - Czech Republic

Neuromancer
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN

Re: buddy list

Post by Neuromancer » 13 Dec 2006 14:22

ming wrote:An In-game Buddy List would be great.
so that you can see with one click who is online and maybe in what game, including the features to add/remove buddies
Well actually if you select the player list in a zone, your buddies are listed first, with a different smiley. Clicking the smiley lets you add/remove players in your buddy list.
And when you move the mouse over a player, if (s)he is connected to a server, you will be able to click on the player name to connect to the same server.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from Magic - Arthur C. Clarke

ming
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: all
Manialink(s): redlion, ming

buddy list improvements....

Post by ming » 13 Dec 2006 16:00

i know, that one can see by that blue rectangle if a buddy is on a server, but this is still pretty distracting. how should i be able to find a specific buddy?? i need to watch on ech server....:((
and the only way i know, to add buddies, is to do that in-race. one should be able to do so in the main menu; adding buddies by typing their nickname as one can in the messenger to send them a message, and see on which server tey are currently playing....

i find it somehow not pretty logic, how the buddy management has been set up. the different buddy-actions have been spread all over the game, and even on the web, but these should be regrouped in a "BUDDY MANAGER". the only way i know to see your buddies and if they are online is on the playerspage, but this one is again web-based, and not ingame

THERE YOU GO--> https://www.trackmania.com/tmu-playerpa ... erPage.php

greez
Manialink: mingcolor>

Luxembourg's TM-community website: www.trackmania.lu

0x
cyclist
cyclist

Post by 0x » 13 Dec 2006 16:52

Guys, does anyone know, where I can find change-list in new update? Only one thing, that I found, is list of best countries in multiplayer menu.
2Sexy - Czech Republic

ming
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Manialink(s): redlion, ming

Sound improvements...

Post by ming » 15 Dec 2006 12:15

@ the beginning of a race,where for example 30 or 40 people are on the server, there is just a single "WROHHHOHOHHH"-sound when they all start together. this is pretty distracting...
this flanger-type sound should be removed, by limiting the number of engines that can be heard simultaneously at a time. because there is no need to hear more than 10 engines at a time

greets
Manialink: mingcolor>

Luxembourg's TM-community website: www.trackmania.lu

ipe
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by ipe » 12 Jan 2007 15:19

This seems to be a somewhat late reply, but anyway...

01) more convenient buddy-features (like in steam/gamespy/xfire)
02) dump that stupid coppers-system (virtual currencies suck, especially in a racing game - oh, please don't flame me ;) )
03) an editor feature to move several blocks (or the whole track) at once (would be VERY convenient if you started wrong)
04) an editor feature to save track-parts (the option of integrating a cool section/idea i made before into a new track without building it from scratch again)
05) streamlined controls in the editor and the mediatracker (why use separate controls for navigating?)
06) no need for connectors in the editor (for several blocks they aren't necessary, so why DO some blocks still have them?)
07) a slightly bigger editing area (at least for stadium)
08) leveled grass in stadium and corresponding blocks (raising the ground level on dirt is possible, so why not on grass?)
09) less nervous/more reasonable controls in some of the others environments apart from stadium (at least as an optional feature)
10) tunnels for stadium

smith-b-d
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by smith-b-d » 12 Jan 2007 16:03

ipe wrote:dump that stupid coppers-system (virtual currencies suck, especially in a racing game - oh, please don't flame me ;) )
The current copper system does suck, thats why i wanted to reset my account, so far i have lost over 750+ coppers on things going wrong with official times & trying to download cars and tracks... but what really pisses me off about it is that there is no way for me to get those coppers back because they are a one time bonus. Which mean the game is simply dead in the water for me because unless i stop playing for a week i cannot build up enough to buy new cars and stuff.

However I would rather keep the copper system, as it adds some fun to the game... just change it around a little and make it easier to get them, or more ways to get them. E.g.
- Give coppers in multiplayer games at the end of the level,
1st place : 10
2nd place : 5
3nd place : 1
but no coppers should be recieved on servers with under 4 players.
- Give coppers for uploaded tracks rather than take them, to encourage track uploading thats not through those gay mania links. I hate picking my tracks... i rather random.
- Give coppers for setting times on unofficial tracks seeing as they cost 10 coppers to download.

eithers add in all the above or this one.
- Coppers gained from setting offical times should given as a daily bonus instead of a once off bonus. Or be given each time you beat either the green/gold/silver/bronze times.
Green : +12 to daily bonus
Gold : +9 to daily bonus
Silver : +6 to daily bonus
Bronze : +3 to daily bonus

...currently the copper system is too unbalanced for the novice to average player, leaving us out in the cold & unable to enjoy many features of the game as the familiar "not enough coppers" message get displayed every time we press a button. The above changes would also nerf the trading of coppers on ebay... this game should not be about the rich getting a unfair advantage.

fng_thatoneguy
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF

Post by fng_thatoneguy » 12 Jan 2007 16:12

Quite honestly, I'd like to see the copper system go as well... The solo ladder has been quite attractive to me; that is, until I found out there were more ways to get coppers than the daily allotment. Before when I was under the impression everyone was just going on their daily allotment, it made the playing field feel more "balanced" as it would mean everyone would have the same amount of "tries" all the time (unless, of course, they were spending those coppers on other things...)

I guess what I really think would be the ideal for the Solo Ladder is to have an allotted amount of "attempts" given per day. No extra ways of earning more... just the daily ration. You use them on whatever tracks you feel like as is the current case with coppers. And you can build them up like you do coppers if you don't want to use them all up everyday, but save up to have 50-100 attempts at scoring a world record on a track.

The way it is now feels to me like whoever has the most time on their hands will win still, because they can spend the time doing all these lotteries, competitions and manialink pages that allow them to rake in more and more and more coppers... thus making an unequal amount of "attempts" per player.

I feel like the current system is just an annoyance of not being able to try all you want... since the capability is technically there, you just have to wait longer for it... But when one guy averages 20 new attempts per day where another is only getting 5, still doesn't seem to be an accurate ladder.

*sigh* I guess there never really will be a perfect ladder, but I'm grateful for Nadeo being daring enough to try new ideas. They are good ideas, and I hope they'll continue to evolve into closer and more accurate ladder systems.

Racemaniac
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Manialink(s): racemaniac

Post by Racemaniac » 12 Jan 2007 16:46

the coppers can be annoying, but i can't see the solo ladder work without them. unlimited tries takes all the excitement away from the solo ladder...

i'd like to see the solo ladders change. so that you're mentioned in all the ladders, not only in the highest one where you got a ranking...
as much as the trackmanias may rule, carmageddon 1 & 2 are still the best games ever :D

ipe
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by ipe » 12 Jan 2007 16:58

I absolutely agree with "fng_thatoneguy" regarding the solo mode. The same number of tries per day for everyone (per track) would be fair.

Another very uncool thing is the possibility of raising your daily income by registering old cd-keys (Although I do think that's a clever idea to make some extra money by letting new fans buy the old games - from the Nadeo point of view). And since that is possible - why doesn't it work for Sunrise Extreme (which i bought some time ago for 40EUR) - it's keys are useless...

luciferos
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by luciferos » 13 Jan 2007 22:29

ipe wrote:Another very uncool thing is the possibility of raising your daily income by registering old cd-keys (Although I do think that's a clever idea to make some extra money by letting new fans buy the old games - from the Nadeo point of view). And since that is possible - why doesn't it work for Sunrise Extreme (which i bought some time ago for 40EUR) - it's keys are useless...
Hm. I used my Sunrise Xtreme key and it worked perfectly fine (70/day). Unless you meant something else...

Djoszee
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMO / TMN / TMUF

Post by Djoszee » 14 Jan 2007 13:37

s-j! wrote:poles for bay you can only place it on land
not on water :(
+ vertical poles to connect with signs, (like in stadium) as you can place only horizontal poles.

For stadium:
- a platform part with an engine cutter
- a platform part with a startblock (like island)
- a platform part with a finishblock (like island)
- Finish rings :)

hpbifta
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by hpbifta » 14 Jan 2007 23:35

fng_thatoneguy wrote: I haven't looked into this yet, but I haven't seen a track that combines all the elements together (Dirt, cement, snow, etc.) -- I assume this is because we can't mix blocks from different environments. If not in United, I'd like to see in the next release of TrackMania all environment track pieces available for any given track. It would rock to have custom tracks that have 4-5 different types of traction (or lack thereof) throughout.
Holley wrote:The blocks are designed to work with the environment they're in, putting them in another environment would make it unplayable!
To settle this NOW, The blocks from different environments are all different scales and sizes when compared to blocks from other environments. This means that if a coast block was driven upon by the island car the car would feel like a toy remote control thing bought from toys`r`us and if it tried jumping it would never be seen again. If a bay Car were to drive on an island track it would be the size of a house etc This just WILL NOT WORK. The blocks are custom designed for each environment to fit the feel and mood for the style of car that will be driving it.

Even if you scaled the vehicles correctly many of the blocks will just feel innapropriate or just wrong, the snow car would never make it round an island loop properly let alone survive a single wallride, and the desert car would be useless. Nadeo have deliberately chosen styles for environments and will not make the environments similar to each other as it ruins the point of having true variety.

Also the blocks from each generation of the game are built slightly differently, to start combining blocks from different environments would mean an almost total rebuild of the engine as every block would need to be rebuilt, rescaled, re-textured, given normal/bump maps, new clips etc and internal addresses (i.e. block snow 1,1 being a snow hill). At which point all old maps are once again invalid so the engine would have to take this into account yet again. The game does enough hard work crunching the map data as it is and cause even only slightly older machines to grind to a stuttering halt while they decompress and build a map and cache the gfx.

This is all a ridiculous amount of work, and please remember Nadeo are only a very small crew, they aren`t a team like EPIC or Valve or one retained by EA where there at least 30 people in the office on a quiet day. There a few peeps doing singly assigned jobs. They also don`t have the funding, havent you noticed the commercial Dynamic Ads in-game? This is one of the ways they have to support themselves. Maybe if they had a Million Euro present and if there was a guarantee the sales returns etc from a totaly re-vamped system would make it financially viable for them to hire a bigger crew and risk diversifying the label it could be done, but in reality its a case of they have done a remarkably good job with minimal resources and not just a little financial risk to themselves.

Instead just hope for a new environment which combines some of the better elements of older ones while adding some more new and indiviual tricks, Its much easier to do that so it`s far more likeley and a far more reasonable request to make of the guys at Nadeo.

N.B. None of this information is really new and all can be found in the pages of this forum if you look deep enough. Including some of it posted by Nadeo themselves. I have just basically compiled it into one big article in the hope that it will help put this silly "can we have all blocks in one enviroment" idea to rest once and for all.

Vive La Difference,
Vive Nadeo.

hpbifta
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by hpbifta » 14 Jan 2007 23:45

ipe wrote:This seems to be a somewhat late reply, but anyway...

01) more convenient buddy-features (like in steam/gamespy/xfire)
02) dump that stupid coppers-system (virtual currencies suck, especially in a racing game - oh, please don't flame me ;) )
03) an editor feature to move several blocks (or the whole track) at once (would be VERY convenient if you started wrong)
04) an editor feature to save track-parts (the option of integrating a cool section/idea i made before into a new track without building it from scratch again)
05) streamlined controls in the editor and the mediatracker (why use separate controls for navigating?)
06) no need for connectors in the editor (for several blocks they aren't necessary, so why DO some blocks still have them?)
07) a slightly bigger editing area (at least for stadium)
08) leveled grass in stadium and corresponding blocks (raising the ground level on dirt is possible, so why not on grass?)
09) less nervous/more reasonable controls in some of the others environments apart from stadium (at least as an optional feature)
10) tunnels for stadium
01 - Would be nice
02 - Not fussed , don`t really use it anyway.
03 - You can delete the whole track (use the Hammer icon its in that menu), tho a higlight and cut/copy/paste/del system which can handle multiple blocks would be amazing.
04 - Would be nice
05 - If anything I want more conrols but thats a whole seperate disscussion
06 - The end of Clips, agreed would be good.
07 - You build a whole new stadium thats in scale to a larger build area and up to quality etc and it may be possible, but I do think it would have to be you doing the work.
08 - Is it really that neccessary?
09 - These are how these vehicles have handled since day 1 over three years ago, making them less nervous is tantamount to a change in the physics and would make keeping them pointless as they might as well be entire new environments, not to mention would essentially invalidate every old track and replay ever made before now. try adjusting the analogue sensetivity in-game (esc > advanced options > analogue Sensebility, remember the left end of the slider is twitchy as as a fly on cocaine and caffiene and the right hand end is as loose as a goose having sex with a moose. and as long as you don`t click "apply to all vehicles" it will only affect the vehicle in that environment. The default setting is very Twitchy, but if you are a kyb player sorry nothing can be done.
10 - Again is it really neccessary? How can people in the stands watch what is going on in a tunnel? Its a stadium remember.

dalefan_01
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by dalefan_01 » 15 Jan 2007 01:25

:cough: P2P options that work correctly :cough: