why aint my uploaded tracks downloaded by any players

General Discussion about Trackmania United

Moderator: TM-Patrol

ming
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Posts: 260
Joined: 04 Dec 2006 11:10
Owned TM-games: all
Manialink(s): redlion, ming

why aint my uploaded tracks downloaded by any players

Post by ming » 17 Jan 2007 12:54

i built some tracks in the slots, and uploaded them 2-3 weeks ago. none has been played neither downloaded til now...

then at a friends place, he downloaded his first 2 tracks by using "get new challenge", and omg , he got the same ones as i got... :shock:

now i wonder how the download system is build.

either this has been pretty haphazard, or the tracks aint randomly downloaded, but chonologic...

:?: :?: :?:


i think this should be changed, so on has some influence on which tracks one want to downloaded. for ex. listed by author, name... + minimap. this would be better than a blind track download.....

greetzs
Manialink: mingcolor>

Luxembourg's TM-community website: www.trackmania.lu

luciferos
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Posts: 21
Joined: 30 Dec 2006 13:15
Location: Barrie, Ontario

Post by luciferos » 18 Jan 2007 11:36

I uploaded some tracks no one's bothered to download. It's a bummer. But, it's fine. Ya sadly don't get money for them anyway. You only have to be an expert 3DS Max user with maniacode expertise to make any coppers...which is lame.

You'd get more incentive for track uploading if you actually made some coppers off your hard work. But whatever. I just wish there were set amount of retries rather than coppers to race official times, especially when I waste coppers from "Bad Records"...but that's another issue.

User avatar
lowfly
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Posts: 23
Joined: 26 Sep 2006 15:59
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN
Location: United States, California
Contact:

Post by lowfly » 02 Feb 2007 06:18

Yea I agree, :?
I think we should get paid coppers for the our tracks that are downloaded by other players in the game.
I mean 50 a day just ain't gettin it. I spend more than that goin for an Official time on 1 track sometimes.
Maybe it should be 1 copper to set an official time. Or we should get the 10 coppers that is paid for our tracks.
Where does that go anyway? one of my uploaded tracks has more than 60 comments and I've made nothing.
We put hours into these things.
Well I said my piece!! :lol:
And I still love makin em :D

Andree
pedestrian
pedestrian
Posts: 12
Joined: 19 Oct 2006 13:02
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN, TMU
Location: Harstad, Norway

Post by Andree » 02 Feb 2007 10:56

I have never downloaded a track with the ingame function, nor will i ever build a track that limit the fun (outro, MT and copperlimits)
I use TMX and enjoy it
The copperthing makes me a good reason not to set official times on tracks.

Racemaniac
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Posts: 2480
Joined: 13 Aug 2005 10:57
Owned TM-games: all
Manialink(s): racemaniac
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by Racemaniac » 02 Feb 2007 11:25

luciferos wrote:I uploaded some tracks no one's bothered to download. It's a bummer. But, it's fine. Ya sadly don't get money for them anyway. You only have to be an expert 3DS Max user with maniacode expertise to make any coppers...which is lame.

You'd get more incentive for track uploading if you actually made some coppers off your hard work. But whatever. I just wish there were set amount of retries rather than coppers to race official times, especially when I waste coppers from "Bad Records"...but that's another issue.
maybe you should have a look at maniacode. it's really very simple :)
and i think you can make some fair coppers with only tracks ^^

lucliky, i also have some fair 3ds max skills ^^
as much as the trackmanias may rule, carmageddon 1 & 2 are still the best games ever :D

User avatar
lowfly
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Posts: 23
Joined: 26 Sep 2006 15:59
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN
Location: United States, California
Contact:

Post by lowfly » 02 Feb 2007 19:43

Well :roll: :?
I just went to read the Manialink tutorial in english at the manialink subforum
and it does't work :?: :cry: :cry:
And yes I tried several times. :arrow: will try again soon
I would like to try it out for my tracks, it sounds pretty good :wink:
I'm a newbie at all this computer and inernet linking stuff :oops: :lol:
I am learning though 8)
Thx

User avatar
Ricardo Rix
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Posts: 49
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 15:09
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN
Contact:

Post by Ricardo Rix » 03 Feb 2007 10:24

I gave up with the maniazone stuff when first logging in with my code, it tells me I'm someone else - I immediately smell a rat - this new feature is a classic "great idea" but just don't work.

There is also a huge oversight that the MediaTracker cannot be used in these uploaded tracks.

Try using TMX instead, http://united.tm-exchange.com/
Image

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Posts: 5326
Joined: 13 Aug 2005 08:58
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz
Location: The Netherlands

Post by Zooz » 03 Feb 2007 13:04

Ricardo Rix wrote: There is also a huge oversight that the MediaTracker cannot be used in these uploaded tracks.
That was done on purpose. The Nadeo tracks usually don't have much MT either, and they probably don't want tracks being uploaded where the screen is black all the time, or ones with stupid GPS stuff. People pay coppers to download these tracks so there has to be some quality.

NikNak
highway camper
highway camper
Posts: 3
Joined: 12 Feb 2006 21:22
Location: uk

Post by NikNak » 03 Feb 2007 16:21

There is something very wrong with the upload system. Ive uploaded a lot of tracks since day 1 of tmu. Some have 100+ comments and some have 0.

My 1st i uploaded has 100+ comments.
My 2nd has 0+
My 3rd has 77
My 4th has 100+
My 5th has 0
My 6th has 79

Something has gone wrong. I think it must be a bug with the upload system.

User avatar
Ricardo Rix
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Posts: 49
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 15:09
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN
Contact:

Post by Ricardo Rix » 04 Feb 2007 10:52

Zooz wrote:
Ricardo Rix wrote: There is also a huge oversight that the MediaTracker cannot be used in these uploaded tracks.
That was done on purpose. The Nadeo tracks usually don't have much MT either, and they probably don't want tracks being uploaded where the screen is black all the time, or ones with stupid GPS stuff. People pay coppers to download these tracks so there has to be some quality.
So all MT is bad eh zooz? Builders could just as easily make a track which u can't get round by bad block placement, so that argument is crap zooz.

Even Nadeo tracks have in-game MT for loops. My argument would be atleast in-game MT should be allowed for loops and wallride cam changes.

Lastly, the media tracker is advertised to promote the game by Nadeo even in the introduction of the manual! Why, then would they leave this little gem out the upload tracks? so no I don't think they left it out on purpose, they cut corners just like with the basic flaw of entering your community code in the maniazone and it logging you in as someone else!

I think thats every part of your argument quashed, we'll see what other rubbish you have to answer with.
Image

User avatar
cspotcode
tricycle manager
tricycle manager
Posts: 26
Joined: 19 Nov 2006 21:08
Owned TM-games: TMU
Contact:

Post by cspotcode » 04 Feb 2007 19:34

Ricardo Rix wrote:so no I don't think they left it out on purpose, they cut corners just like with the basic flaw of entering your community code in the maniazone and it logging you in as someone else!
Disallowing MT in the uploaded tracks was clearly not because Nadeo "cut corners." The MediaTracker has already been well integrated with the level editor, and MTs get saved in their track's Gbx file. Nadeo could have easily allowed MT in uploaded tracks if they had wanted to.

I do, however, agree with you that camera changes in uploaded tracks should be allowed. But zooz is right, disallowing MT in uploaded tracks makes them a little more "pure", so that they aren't as gaudy and ugly. Yes, bad block placement is always possible, but Nadeo can't really disable blocks. :lol:
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
- Douglas Adams

Drake1009
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Posts: 554
Joined: 23 Aug 2005 08:10

Post by Drake1009 » 04 Feb 2007 20:36

Not sure on the track sizes anymore, but a pure track without MT would at one point be 10kb, then came MT and now tracks can easily go above 100kb in size depending on the amount of MT effects. Furthermore MT effects do require a deal of resources which would skew the ability of people with low end systems to do a good time even further. Not to mention that if a track NEEDS MT to be a "good track", then the track maker might want to re-think if his track is actually good, or if it's just okay because he used a bunch of time on MT. Okay some tracks really do benefit from MT effects, like tracks with loops are nice when they can switch to another camera automatically. And on some tracks (like Old skool from Sunrise) make use of MT to add challenge to the track, but again, we're talking about tracks which are up for competing on, whereas a MT effect could add to the challenge, it detracts from your racing skill deciding your time.

It's true that crap tracks can easily be made without MT as well. But remember they have to be completable to be uploaded.
Also, getting coppers from having your uploaded tracks downloaded would be nice. But then, someone come with a guess at how long we'd have a system which encourages trackbuilders to make something good to share? Suddently the system would be overflowing with very very crappy tracks because someone thought uploading more tracks would give more coppers as he'd have a greater chance of his track being downloaded. If people want hard tracks they'd get easy tracks maybe because someone who thought more tracks were better for his income would upload easy tracks as hard because more people download hard tracks.

A way to ensure this doesn't happen might be to kick tracks with horrible ratings out of the server, and to ensure that the track was paid depending on how people had rated the track. Then again. How fast would a bunch of people figure out how to click great on tracks they made and horrible on other tracks to make sure their tracks stayed on the server with a good probablility of getting downloaded? Not long I'm afraid.

Yes it'd be nice to make coppers from uploading your tracks, but if you just implement it without a lot of thought it'd go wrong. And if you say noone's going to mess up the system, I would like to direct your attention to the ladder in nations. Idea was that people should play for the sport, and for fun. Even if they knew their boosting would mean the ladder position they held wouldn't mean anything anymore, they still did it. You don't think someone wouldn't start trying to abuse the upload system to get a hell of a lot of coppers which he couldn't use for anything much anyway when he's in that level of coppers?

And as for using a bunch of coppers on one track. I know the feeling of that one, but consider this then. There's a free practice mode, that's there for you to practice. When you've got the track down and you're confident you can put in a great time on the track, then you can play official. First try's free too. By doing it like that you're encouraged to play for skill, and not for playing official again and again till you hit that lucky round where everything goes right and you get a good time. That's actually the thing which bothers me the most about time trial online games. In a round it just takes one lucky round to get the first place, whereas in rounds you have to show consistent skill to win.
Furthermore the limit means that just because you might have 7 or so hours to spend doing nothing but trying to set official times on a few tracks, the guy with 2 hours could go about as far as you could because even if he has 5 hours less, he'd theoretically still have about the same time to set those records.

That you can earn additional coppers from having manialink pages etc. might skew this a bit. I have no idea what the original thoughts on this implementation was, but I think it's a good thing to have the limit, though 5 tries a day might be a little low.

User avatar
Ricardo Rix
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Posts: 49
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 15:09
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN
Contact:

Post by Ricardo Rix » 05 Feb 2007 01:01

some nice twists and turns here fellas.

I have over 200 tracks downloaded from TMX, and the highest is 72kB, and it has very little MT - I know I helped build it. So no tracks do not go from 10 to 100 kB (bloody lawyer trick), my guess is at most they double.

I suppose Nadeo didn't cut corners, point conceded but really the consequences - any loop or stunt in a track - track no good for upload! As a track builder (of sorts) even I wouldn't let a track out to the public which dunny work properly. Every1 must be getting really fed up with all the cam change key presses, either that or wondering where all the stunts have gone.

The point about low-end PCs, yep I have 1! So I know that it's the copper count which far more often than MT can cripple a low end PC, the only other effect would be animated billboards which I think, yep you can have them in an uploaded track.
but Nadeo can't really disable blocks.
Thats my argument - get ur lawyer hands off!

The rest of the stuff about coppers - no idea - does the manialink thing actually work?
Image

User avatar
lowfly
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Posts: 23
Joined: 26 Sep 2006 15:59
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN
Location: United States, California
Contact:

Post by lowfly » 06 Feb 2007 21:13

Furthermore the limit means that just because you might have 7 or so hours to spend doing nothing but trying to set official times on a few tracks, the guy with 2 hours could go about as far as you could because even if he has 5 hours less, he'd theoretically still have about the same time to set those records.

That you can earn additional coppers from having manialink pages etc. might skew this a bit. I have no idea what the original thoughts on this implementation was, but I think it's a good thing to have the limit, though 5 tries a day might be a little low.
This also means that if you have more real $ to buy the other versions of the game (sunrise and/or original) you get even more tries everyday than someone that can't afford to buy all three. I think this is not good either.

Dengelino
tricycle manager
tricycle manager
Posts: 26
Joined: 19 Oct 2006 17:32

Post by Dengelino » 12 Feb 2007 11:12

zooz: The Nadeo tracks usually don't have much MT either, and they probably don't want tracks being uploaded where the screen is black all the time, or ones with stupid GPS stuff.

lol`???^^

nadeo build on EVERY TRACK POOR CAM CHANGES TO LET U JUMP AGAINST A CP!!!! THEY ARE BOOOOOOONS in that case ^^ also the reason why i hate nadeo tracks so much ^^ they are just builded for novice players not for good ones ... all hard tracks are easy stuff into the game ^^ the easy tracks are just noooooooobmania ^^ however mt must be allowed in uploading system!! may be they should just cut intro´s /outros

and i also thing the system into the game is useless ^^80% of the tracks that i dl there were crap ... cp´s which were be hitten , bay tracks without deco ... and brakeboostys etc... (where 10 times were uploaded :S ... dengy also uploaded 30 tracks may be 4 were downloaded ? its annoying and i can say u by that way !! USE http://www.tm-exchange.com .... its the best way ! u can see what trackj u get with a n1 screen ! u can upload a time , u can give comments ..it just take 1 min more ^^ but then u got good quality of tracks not this bullshit into this dl system ... sry nadeo it sux!! whoever choose the tracks ( and also build your nadeo tracks [cuts, bugs, bad mt , nooobskilllike, lucky parts....thats nadeo :P ) must be ......

it is just a joke what exist there already ^^

also that i believe that people are often driving this nonsense makes me sick ...
Goo Fast!!

(6842 Star days) :P (27.2.07)

Post Reply