ming
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: all
Manialink(s): redlion, ming

Post by ming » 22 Mar 2007 08:51

dustyjo wrote:
ming wrote:
NiteFox wrote:Hmm, if I'd known this last Friday I would've held out buying TMU until the Steam release. Ah well, no harm done.
well usually u are able to register games in steam with your cd key to you account. hope this will work for tmu as well...
It won't.
That only works for VALVe games.
how well, but it does!!! ive done that already couple of times.
f.e. Dark Messiah - Might and Magic; it might use a modified source-engine, but its been produced by ARKANE STUDIOS and published by UBISOFT. However i was able to register the game to my steam account :!: this keeps my hope alive.....

and yes, i only have one last activation left, that i will need to use this weekend, since i really need to format my pc. therefore it ll be great to be able to transfer the game to steam.

some more advantages of steam:
-ability to see your friend if they are currently playing tmu
-direct chat with your friend (maybe not ingame)
-play the game without any cd
-the game stays in your account forever!!!! re-download as often as you want!!!!!!
-and not to forget --> \/
mp3killer(SLO) wrote:YAY! Steam - thousands of new players (n00bs Laughing ) - WELCOME, to the game that will get you out of CSS! Laughing
Great news - really! Very Happy

i cant find any disadvantages in steam, so my personal opinion is, that this will bring TMU into a complete new light^^

anyhow

greetz
Manialink: mingcolor>

Luxembourg's TM-community website: www.trackmania.lu

Herrick
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TM-forum warrior.

Post by Herrick » 22 Mar 2007 09:03

I'd be all for Steam if the sodding thing installed properly, it worked fine before but then I had to format. then when I went to reinstall it (to play CS:S sorry MP3) it won't run and this of course means CS:S won't run either no matter how much I try the exe nothing happens.

So yeah I'm not that keen on it atm.
The Demons man, the Demons!

Don't like my posts? Feel free to not send me multiple PMs.

Rax
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Rax » 22 Mar 2007 22:39

only disadvantage of steam is you have to have it running to play the games. nothing too big

mp3killer(SLO)
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by mp3killer(SLO) » 22 Mar 2007 23:12

Herrick wrote:I'd be all for Steam if the sodding thing installed properly, it worked fine before but then I had to format. then when I went to reinstall it (to play CS:S sorry MP3) it won't run and this of course means CS:S won't run either no matter how much I try the exe nothing happens.

So yeah I'm not that keen on it atm.
You can completely reinstall Windows and leave steam game files (steamapps), on separate partition, than after Win reinstall, you can just instal Steam again into the same folder (with steamapps),as before!
And all your games will work again without any reinstall (you might only need "verify integrity of game cache" option for some games (Red Orchestra))!!
Tested on my PC, so i don't see any bigger disadvantages of Steam, except loading times of TMU, could be a bit longer (and you need Steam running wich can't compare to fear of destroying DVD disc in your drive & with your drive! :lol:
To those who understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am!
Morow: The Best Progressive Radio Of Yesterday & Today

ming
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by ming » 16 Apr 2007 14:51

mmm, any steam news...

nothing mentioned on the englisch tmu site, neither on the steam site itself. only on the french one they say its being published by the end of april.

i've already reached my 3rd activation... :(

does anybody have some leaked info ???

greetz

Drake1009
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Drake1009 » 16 Apr 2007 15:31

only problem with Steam is that whether it'll work for you or not depends on luck. And if it doesn't, well tough luck, last time I tried getting support their automated helpdesk system wouldn't let me actually make a trouble ticket.

Random consumption of larger amounts of system resources, and the fact that if someone hacks your account and cheats, then you'll lose the ability to play all the games you have registered there.

Wolf2000me
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by Wolf2000me » 18 Apr 2007 13:50

ming wrote:i cant find any disadvantages in steam, so my personal opinion is, that this will bring TMU into a complete new light^^

anyhow

greetz
I've used Steam for a long time already. Several times, through automatic updates a game has become unplayable. It's solved in the next update of course. But that is the responsibility of the game developer. Steam itself is a rather large system hog, or at least it used to be.

Steam also seems to bring an increased system requirement. This has been the case with every game transitioned from standard UI to the Steam platform. I hope this won't be the case now. And in order to fully use the Steam interface when the game is running, the developers will have to make sure the menu system is compatible. This means Steam console, steam server listing, etc.

I'm not saying it's going to be a bad thing. But before I make any transition I'll let some pioneers do the standard beta testing that always occurs with a transition to Steam.

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 18 Apr 2007 15:01

ming wrote: i cant find any disadvantages in steam, so my personal opinion is, that this will bring TMU into a complete new light^^
Really, how about getting your account and credit card number stolen? Slight disadvantage there...
http://emp.damage-web.net/viewtopic.php?p=62590

dustyjo
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMU, TMS, TMN

Post by dustyjo » 19 Apr 2007 20:54

Zooz wrote:
ming wrote: i cant find any disadvantages in steam, so my personal opinion is, that this will bring TMU into a complete new light^^
Really, how about getting your account and credit card number stolen? Slight disadvantage there...
http://emp.damage-web.net/viewtopic.php?p=62590
Only if you own a cybercafe.
-dustyjo Happy TrackManiac since Dec. 2004

Drake1009
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Drake1009 » 19 Apr 2007 22:46

Though the hacker apparently claims that he's had access to both separate bases as well as a bunch of other stuff

wuwtk
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by wuwtk » 06 May 2007 23:22

Well I e-mailed support to find out if it is definitely coming out to steam or not and this is the response i got.

Hello,

Yes, TrackMania United is coming to Steam (June 2007).

Best Regards,

Technical Support
Focus Home Interactive

-----Message d'origine-----
De :
Envoyé : vendredi 4 mai 2007 08:40
À : support@tm-united.com
Objet : just a question

I have heard recent rumors that trackmania united is coming to steam; I just

wanted to find out for sure if it was or not. I have been waiting for the
US release for a while and I am a big fan of steam, i would much rather
purchase it on the steam platform than anything else. I was just wondering
if you can confirm anything among this rumor, it would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks

So it is at least confirmed now.

ming
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by ming » 20 May 2007 21:25

yeah^^

wuwtk
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by wuwtk » 21 May 2007 01:29

Hey since its coming to steam do you think it will be using starforce drivers anymore? I have previously had a big problem with windows flat out not working because of them and I really dont want to deal with that again. It would definitely be a really big plus if because of steam they took them out.

Drake1009
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Drake1009 » 21 May 2007 04:53

Odds are that steam might take care of the protection. Though I guess you could never know.
For TMU though I hear that the starforce on it works a bit differently than the older starforce. But buying the game to find out that your computer still doesn't work with it isn't what would be considered nice.

Knightospr
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Knightospr » 23 May 2007 16:04

I first bought Trackmania United through metaboli, but then I got bored of asking them for new serial each time I reinstalled my Os. Had bought Vista, but wasn't so happy with that, so back to xp! Then new nvidia Vista drivers, but not god enough so again back to xp. So serial codes get used up in no time!

So now that I decided get the dvd, worth the ekstra money, can reinstall an install trackmania united as many times as I like. Without having to write email an beg metaboli for new serial each time. Beside having an copy in my hand is much better then just an electronically copy.