Should TMU have a proper split screen mulitplayer mode?

General Discussion about Trackmania United

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Yes, I would play it if it was made
45%
Yes, I think it would be enjoyed by many people but not particularly by myself
18%
No, I enjoy playing hotseat mode when my friends come over
22%
No, if my friends came over we would play a different multiplayer game
14%

Total votes: 76

Phil McCool
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by Phil McCool » 14 Apr 2007 19:12

I'm talking 4 player (or less) with both 'first to the end wins' and 'fastest time after x minutes' style game modes. I'm doing this poll because I want to find out if there's enough demand for this to make it worth Nadeo's time programming (although I have already seen people on message boards and forums saying they were going to buy a different game because TMU has no split screen mode). Please comment below if your opinion doesn't fit any of the poll options.
"Alright, that's MY ninja star... THIS IS YOURS! *throws*" - Ninja Terminator

Please do my poll! I'm campaigning for split screen multiplayer on TMU: viewtopic.php?t=8547

JumperJack
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF

Post by JumperJack » 14 Apr 2007 19:30

hotseat is much better than a splitscreen mode. for trackmania, you need to see much of the surroundings, and with a splitscreen, you just don't have that. together with that, the hot seat mode is very innovative, handy and fun!! :wink:

Phil McCool
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by Phil McCool » 14 Apr 2007 19:54

JumperJack wrote:hotseat is much better than a splitscreen mode. for trackmania, you need to see much of the surroundings, and with a splitscreen, you just don't have that. together with that, the hot seat mode is very innovative, handy and fun!! :wink:
Try resizing your TMU window to make it fill one quarter of your computer screen, then you'll notice that you are still able to see everything and play equally well. I think split screen is a better idea than hotseat mode because everyone can play at the same time, but anyway, it's important to hear both sides of the argument so thanks for the feedback.

Please do my poll! I'm campaigning for split screen multiplayer on TMU: viewtopic.php?t=8547

Insomnia
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMS, TMO
Manialink(s): ET

Post by Insomnia » 14 Apr 2007 20:50

I'm missing the answer "Not interested at all"... I prefer playing online. With my friends I prefer being outside of home.
Intel Core2 Quad Q9450 @4x2670MHz, ASUS P5W DH Deluxe, Radeon HD4870 X2 with 2x1024 MB, 4096 MB DDR2 RAM, Windows 7 x64 Professional, ADSL 16384/1024, ATI Catalyst 9.8

Phil McCool
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by Phil McCool » 14 Apr 2007 20:57

Insomnia wrote:I'm missing the answer "Not interested at all"... I prefer playing online. With my friends I prefer being outside of home.
But do you think other people would like it and would it increase game sales?

Skubidou
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: tmo-tms-tmu

Post by Skubidou » 14 Apr 2007 21:02

Phil McCool wrote:
Insomnia wrote:I'm missing the answer "Not interested at all"... I prefer playing online. With my friends I prefer being outside of home.
Like it... yes i think (you would like it no? :wink: ), but increase sales? I don't think this feature would decide someone to buy this game or not :roll: ( not more than hotseat)

Skubidou:~

Phil McCool
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by Phil McCool » 14 Apr 2007 21:48

Skubidou wrote:
Phil McCool wrote:
Like it... yes i think (you would like it no? :wink: ), but increase sales? I don't think this feature would decide someone to buy this game or not :roll: ( not more than hotseat)

Believe it or not it has been the deciding factor for some people.

Insomnia
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Insomnia » 15 Apr 2007 09:16

Well... In general every additional feature increases the game sales because it finds its fans. Especially if it does not disturb the ones, who don't want to use it (a mistake made here regarding coppers in my opinion, but that's a different topic), for a splitscreen, you are probably right.
On the other hand splitscreen is kind of "outdated" in the presence. It has been the main multiplayer option in the past, but in the age of internet and computernetworking this feature looks ancient. Though some people might still want to use it, it does not look fresh and new for the gamer world outside, if you integrate it.
Intel Core2 Quad Q9450 @4x2670MHz, ASUS P5W DH Deluxe, Radeon HD4870 X2 with 2x1024 MB, 4096 MB DDR2 RAM, Windows 7 x64 Professional, ADSL 16384/1024, ATI Catalyst 9.8

Phil McCool
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by Phil McCool » 15 Apr 2007 12:12

Playing online seems kind of anti- social to me... I think the competition is more intense with split screen because everyone is in the same room playing at the same time.
I'm no programmer but it doesn't seem like this would be a very time consuming addition for Nadeo, I mean they waste time making things like engine- stopping blocks which I doubt anyone likes, and Paint mode even though people tend to just make their own models and skins for other people to download.

Skubidou
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Skubidou » 15 Apr 2007 12:20

Phil McCool wrote:Playing online seems kind of anti- social to me... I think the competition is more intense with split screen because everyone is in the same room playing at the same time.
Simply play in LAN. Everyone has his own computer, with his own screen, his own wheel, pad, keyboard, ... And everyone is in the same room. Or use TeamSpeak for online playing (if you have some friend to organise a race in splitscreen, you can also organise the race online, with teamspeak)... Like said by insomnia, splitscreen is old, when only some users had a computer, or for console where 'LAN' was not avalaible.

But, first, do you have really tried to play TMU in window mode, only using 1/4 of your screen? Is it really playable? Because i use it sometime (for test purpose when i have something else open), and it's really difficult to make a good race with this little screen :roll:

Phil McCool
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by Phil McCool » 15 Apr 2007 12:25

Skubidou wrote:
Phil McCool wrote:Playing online seems kind of anti- social to me... I think the competition is more intense with split screen because everyone is in the same room playing at the same time.
Simply play in LAN. Everyone has his own computer, with his own screen, his own wheel, pad, keyboard, ... And everyone is in the same room. Or use TeamSpeak for online playing (if you have some friend to organise a race in splitscreen, you can also organise the race online, with teamspeak)... Like said by insomnia, splitscreen is old, when only some users had a computer, or for console where 'LAN' was not avalaible.

But, first, do you have really tried to play TMU in window mode, only using 1/4 of your screen? Is it really playable?

Yup, using 1/4 of the screen is perfectly playable, however if this is made I'll be using 1/4 of my projector :D. Anyway, LAN sounds interesting, even if only for other games. Will everyone have to buy TMU or is it ok if just I have it? Also, how are the computers connected?

Skubidou
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Skubidou » 15 Apr 2007 12:35

Phil McCool wrote:Anyway, LAN sounds interesting, even if only for other games. Will everyone have to buy TMU or is it ok if just I have it? Also, how are the computers connected?
Only one TMU CD is needed for LAN. You don't even need to connect to internet (simply enter your key, or a 'false' key for installation, and click cancel for online account creation. No need to give your login/password). And with the starforce system for TMU, you will only need to enter the CD once for 5 days... so each user will need the CD only the first time he launch the game. No need for the CD after that (excep if the LAN is more than 5 days :wink: ) And if you want to play online, the one who have the internet account (and the router redirected to his PC) launch an online server (where internet players can connect) and the LAN players simply connect in LAN (the ladder will be disable...but who cares :roll: :wink: )

Connection? simple TCP/IP, in the same adress range to avoid problems (client find servers by themself, no need to enter IP adress, ..). But there are alos command line to join a server not in the same IP range

Insomnia
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Insomnia » 15 Apr 2007 12:36

Phil McCool wrote:Playing online seems kind of anti- social to me...
Then going out playing hockey, football or drinking a beer would be the better solution then playing computer ;)
Phil McCool wrote:Will everyone have to buy TMU or is it ok if just I have it?
The DVD is just required for the copy protection, not for any data. So you can install and launch it on one computer, give the DVD to the next one, do the same, etc, and play over LAN. It's just not possible to go online with more than one of them (You should deactivate the auto-connect to the Internet in TMU then).
//EDIT: Skubi was faster ;)

Phil McCool
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by Phil McCool » 15 Apr 2007 15:45

Perhaps someone could add me on MSN and explain? :)

phil_39@hotmail.com

cspotcode
tricycle manager
tricycle manager

Post by cspotcode » 16 Apr 2007 01:49

Phil McCool wrote:I'm no programmer but it doesn't seem like this would be a very time consuming addition for Nadeo
You'd be surprised. The current game engine never has to handle more than one camera. There is a lot of stuff in a game that depends on the camera, and making the game support 4 cameras could be more complicated than you think.
Phil McCool wrote:they waste time making things like engine- stopping blocks which I doubt anyone likes
Hey! I like those. I think that, if used correctly, they add an extra element of skill to the tracks. (just like jumps that you can only make if you're going fast enough) Also, engine stopping blocks were no doubt much easier to code than splitscreen would be.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
- Douglas Adams