General Discussion about Trackmania United

Moderator: TM-Patrol

sk1ll3r
highway camper
highway camper

LOL-map-Server

Post by sk1ll3r » 08 May 2007 20:26

Hey Guys,

I have recently been on a so called lol-map-server. I only can say: these servers suck!!! Driving on these servers is the same like boosting in TM:N. People get lots of points for just doin' nothing but stupidly drivin' 4 to 10 seconds and somehow reach the finish with luck or whatever. Then the greatest n00bs get 50-150 points and improve their ladder-ranking, although they just can't really drive or play TM:U at all!!!
All this makes me damn sick, because all the n00bs get good ranks and are top100 worldwide or whatever and the ladder becomes somehow obsolete, because it tells just nothin about the skill of someone.:x
How do you think about this? My suggestion would be to ban these lol-map-servers from the official ladder, so that these "drivers" can drive their ****-maps, but don't get these mass points.

Herrick
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TM-forum warrior.

Post by Herrick » 08 May 2007 20:50

Or you could get over yourself and ignore the ladder and LOL servers seeing as both are meaningless.
The Demons man, the Demons!

Don't like my posts? Feel free to not send me multiple PMs.

Mistral
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: tmuf

Post by Mistral » 08 May 2007 21:32

Why ban? Just lol ^^

I think the most advantage of this game is, that everyone can drive on maps/server they have most "fun".

Some people have fun with full speed maps, some with technical maps, some with lol maps ... some dont care for any maps and just want points... let it be :)

Markus
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO/TMN/TMU
Manialink(s): XTZone (not finished)

Post by Markus » 08 May 2007 21:47

i agree with that boost comment skiller :oops:
its...ähm...there will be allways anyone who find a solution to cheat the ladder..i see it at my own ranking in stadium. i was 211 and now after only 2 weeks i have the rank 810 on stadium...but i play often stadium :? but yeah as Mistral said loooool
leave the boons by their own and drive for fun thats the only real feeling you need for TM nothing more :wink:

Retodon8
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMU(F), TM2:C
Manialink(s): Retodon8

Post by Retodon8 » 08 May 2007 22:28

Although I understand the complaining, I hate online cheaters, it isn't at all productive.
Some admin might just reset those people's scores, but that wouldn't be a real solution.
Does a real solution even exist?

Check maps for amount of blocks?
(If I understand correctly, these lol-map-tracks are just tiny, straight tracks or something?)
That wouldn't help much, because people would just add lots of blocks outside of the actual track.

Check amount of checkpoints?
A long, straight track would still pass that test.

Have a rating system where the community votes for tracks?
First of all, that might lead to some really cool tracks never getting noticed, and I'm sure those cheaters have big enough numbers to give those tracks lots of positive votes too.
Maybe it you'd have to log in somewhere to vote, and voting wasn't anonymous, so over time it would become obvious who keeps voting for cheater tracks, but that's still a bunch of manual work.
On the other hand, I can't really think of anything better, so..

The world would be a better place if people simply wouldn't cheat.
They're cheating themselves too... I don't even get it.
Яєזσםση8
ImageImage

UKFC»Hubcaps
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by UKFC»Hubcaps » 09 May 2007 00:05

LOL servers arnt cheat servers muppets

The Reticent
highway camper
highway camper

Re: LOL-map-Server

Post by The Reticent » 09 May 2007 04:13

Indeed quite often ppl get 100, 150 or even more points. These ppl are low ranked and were lucky to get a good result vs several high and mid ranked players. So yes, lol servers are indeed a boost. A boost for new and/or low ranked players, since here they have the chance to get a good result they never would get on other servers. If the greates n00bs get 150 points by being lucky, thats fine for me. Unfortunately I'm not even close to get that much points anymore since quite a while, too bad you don't get more points on lol servers compared to others :p
Anyway, beside this n00b boost it's the same system as on other servers. The more higher ranked ppl you beat the more points you get. The longer the timelimit the more points you get. The more you play the more points you get. The higher your rank the less points you get.
We all know the ranks have never been a real indicator of skill. They are even an indicator of how much time you can afford to play.

About luck, yes, several maps on the lol servers require a good amount of luck. But that doesn't mean that skill and practice wouldn't give you a huge advantage here. Few of these tracks are pure luck maps. There is a reason why ppl like Mida get on the podium almost every track, even if there are 50 ppl on the server and even if there are several of them high ranked and lol map experienced.
Further there are also several technical short tracks that last about 20 secs, yes there are even lot of tracks that doesn't require a tad more of luck than their big brothers played on other servers. I guess every good player loves technical tracks, at this point there is no difference between lol and other servers.

I can understand if ppl don't like to play lol maps. I can understand if ppl don't treat lol maps as 'real' tracks. But you are wrong if you think the top lol map drivers got no skill. For most of these tracks it's the same as for the 'real' tracks. You need to know how to drive a track, and you need to have the ability to drive it the way you planned.

Markus
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Markus » 09 May 2007 05:09

UKFC»Hubcaps wrote:LOL servers arnt cheat servers muppets
nice way to discuss Hub :roll:

UKFC»Hubcaps
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by UKFC»Hubcaps » 09 May 2007 07:18

Cheers m8

Jfreu
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: tmu

Post by Jfreu » 09 May 2007 08:08

Mistral wrote:Some people have fun with full speed maps, some with technical maps, some with lol maps ...
some with stunt maps Image

I agree, there are a lot of players using lol-servers too boost their rank, but i know that the others only play to have fun.

("why do you play on that stupid-tracks server ?"
1/ Cos it's fun ! Image
2/ To win some points ... Image )

QuikSilver
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMS, TMO

Post by QuikSilver » 09 May 2007 08:13

hmm, these LOL-servers have tracks which mean something
they mean luck
by bouncing into a finish by hitting the edge of a hole for instance
straight line, with 1 3-pillar-block, and a finish which you overspeed so you need to brake at the best time.
i think it requres some skill to get good points there m8
im sorry its not YOUR kind of skill.
its not mine either.
I had seen enough of that server then, and went out. Got over it, you know.
you should do so too.

Markus
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Markus » 09 May 2007 08:19

Jfreu wrote: ("why do you play on that stupid-tracks server ?"
1/ Cos it's fun ! Image
2/ To win some points ... Image )
you`re right Jfreu but only the fact that some players join the servers with the meaning to get much points in a few minutes ..is cheating in my eyes :wink:

on a normal server a Newbie gets maybe 0.1-3 points or something like that...because he`ll never reach the top 3 or near to that....and thats ok, everyone has to learn the envirs or not?! why dont get low points for low skill? you`ll get more the more you get skilled and thats fine with me 8)
and if a newbie can get 100 points through pure luck its cheating...sorry

and yeah Hub i`m a muppet 'cause i try to stay friendly :lol:

Ls777
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by Ls777 » 09 May 2007 14:23

dang...
every body hate the lol maps it seems
LOL
Me? I just play there to have fun, since their tracks are different, and inventive :P

Markus
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Markus » 09 May 2007 14:27

in my eyes its different too yeah...because it has nothing to do with trackbuilding at all and the same for racing :lol:

oh sure...and its inventive...inventive to find a way to cheat :lol:

Denise
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN, TMU

Post by Denise » 09 May 2007 15:14

I did join these kind of servers without checking the info first. Must say that usually in 2 minutes I'm gone again :D I dont like to play these luck tracks, but that's personal of course.. And about ranking.. hmm, ranking doesnt say everything. Some people do have a great ranking but only know how to race these 'luck'tracks, and not normal tracks :?
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 2.8GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Card name: Radeon X1950 Pro