LOL-map-Server

General Discussion about Trackmania United

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Lolo
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Lolo » 09 May 2007 16:11

In my opinion, there are several kinds of people who join these servers.
There are, no doubt, a lot of people who drive LOL-Maps for just having fun!
That's okay, but I think it wouldn't annoy these people, if they wouldn't get points!

On the other side, there are also many people who join these Servers just to get many
points! With a time of 2 minutes per map, it is extremly easy to get more points than other
driver who play with a time limit of 6 minutes. So I think, there are too much people who prey
the LOL-Maps servers for getting fast and easy points!

Of course it's not only luck to be a good LOL-map player! You can practice this way of driving.

But all in all, these servers are a bit like "boosting" in TMN and annul the sense of the ladder.

The Reticent
highway camper
highway camper

Post by The Reticent » 09 May 2007 17:26

Lolo wrote:With a time of 2 minutes per map, it is extremly easy to get more points than other
driver who play with a time limit of 6 minutes.
GCT has a 5 mins time limit. Anyway, I was told that a low time limit give less points than a higher one, so that overall the limit doesn't really matter. Anyone knows more about it?

Zahl
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TM, TMU

Post by Zahl » 09 May 2007 17:49

Back in the good old TMO days nobody cared about servers with
maps like this, or in general the map styles varied much more
than today, even on a single server. Seems the game became
more and more serious with every sequel, especially adding a
ladder to the game did a good job here (iirc, there was no ladder in TM Classic...?)
So many people are focused on the rankings... :(
I give a damn on my ranking, but of course I understand that it was
idiotic to drop a stone on the up-key and run the game 24/7 like
people did in TMN to boost... But players who join lol-map servers
- even if they just want to get points - still sit there and actually *play*
the game, and with a round time of 5 mins they don't get the
points faster than others.
You say they don't have real racing skills and wouldn't beat those
advanced maps like you find for example on Mistral's server, but if
there weren't those lol-maps servers, wouldn't you if you were
bad at driving just choose a server with some easy maps? And
I think then some good players would complain that "everyone
is playing on those servervs with that damn boring and easy maps."
OK, still different, but I mean, Nadeo didn't come up with some rules
on how to play this game, what is right or what is wrong, so I see
no point in bashing lol-maps.

Scouse

Post by Scouse » 09 May 2007 18:04

I think in nations, the points from LOL maps wouldn't effect the ladder (Obviously), so they were simple and fun to play.
But in United, they mean something to the lower ranked players, even higher ranked players get some points from these maps.
So until the ladder settles a bit, then i do not advise going on these servers, (although they are still fun, and i have been on them before) as some players consider it boosting.
And to the arguemnt they are about luck, when i was there, the same top 15 players won the whole time, so either there was a large scale cheat going around, or there is a reasonable amount of skill in it.

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 09 May 2007 21:12

The Reticent wrote:
Lolo wrote:With a time of 2 minutes per map, it is extremly easy to get more points than other
driver who play with a time limit of 6 minutes.
GCT has a 5 mins time limit. Anyway, I was told that a low time limit give less points than a higher one, so that overall the limit doesn't really matter. Anyone knows more about it?
This is the case in TMN I think, max points if a map lasts 5 minutes or more, otherwise it decreases. You get almost nothing for a 1 min map.
However, I don't know if this is the case in TMU too.

[RX]Kendu
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by [RX]Kendu » 10 May 2007 11:14

I play sometimes in Lol Server.

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 10 May 2007 14:30

Well, at least these servers made Netherlands go from 11th to 3rd in the country ranks because all the FiX and other Dutch players are playing on them now :P
Still, it's sad to see how easy it is to gain points with no skill now.

Denise
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN, TMU

Post by Denise » 10 May 2007 14:38

Zooz wrote:Well, at least these servers made Netherlands go from 11th to 3rd in the country ranks because all the FiX and other Dutch players are playing on them now :P
Still, it's sad to see how easy it is to gain points with no skill now.
Woot! I'm so proud we got FiX that helped us to go to place 3! Not..
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 2.8GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Card name: Radeon X1950 Pro

Helstar
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Helstar » 11 May 2007 02:02

I went there right now ... what can I say ... OMG ! Just a 5 sec 'overview' at the map with the 7 numpad key and :shock:

Is this a joke :?

And this guy is also italian (Mida), and got second position on ladder .... I wonder how good he is on "real" maps (such as Going Down or Unirally ...). I asked if he's really italian and didn't even reply ... but from the profile seems so. Shame :|
The music of the future will not entertain; It's only meant to repress and neutralise your brain.

eviltim
cyclist
cyclist

Post by eviltim » 11 May 2007 03:31

And thats why you don't worry about the ladder.
It doesn't actually prove anything.
Last edited by eviltim on 12 May 2007 03:12, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by Mikey » 12 May 2007 00:00

I dont think it was the intension of the LOL server hosters or track creators to create a boosting server. And LOL maps are a fun novelty.
But the reality is the novelty has warn off, and they are used by the majority of people on them to deliberatley earn easy points and it is badly affecting the ladder to the point where it is becoming useless like in nations.
Blah...Blah...Blah... play for fun, True ! But the ladder was designed by the game programmers to have a meaningfull purpose for those who wished to observe it, the LOL servers are ruining this to the point where the pointless ladder system could affect Nadeo sales ! then there might be no TM sequel or expansion enviros.

So please LOL server admins consider what is happening, maybe run the servers in LOL mode once a week for fun, not 24/7 for boosting !

QuikSilver
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMS, TMO

Post by QuikSilver » 12 May 2007 06:42

btw
are you going to complain about the stunt servers too?
because they get points just to jump around a bit?

Rax
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Rax » 13 May 2007 19:58

yeah but you have to crash in funky ways in stunt :P

sk1ll3r
highway camper
highway camper

Post by sk1ll3r » 13 May 2007 20:36

After having started this discussion, I can say that it's funny, how different the opinions of people are! We have every opinion here, from "LOL=boost" to "leave us poor lol-drivers alone, cause we just wanna have some fun". I am still pissed off about the way, how easy so many points for such a little effort are "wasted" on this servers (just look at the Stadium-World-Ladder: 4 of 5 in the top5 are lol-drivers.) .BUT: It was NEVER my intention to flame against clans like =GCT= or to tell people, not to go on these servers. I rather wanted to set people thinking about perhaps limiting the points that can be gained on these servers or to take them off the ladder. That's why u'll never see me drivin' with a nick-attachment like "DAMN GCT" or sth. I know several members of my clan [SP], who also sometimes visit these servers, whether to gain points or to have fun i cannot decide for them... I finally want to say, that, considering the points-system, this discussion probably will change nothing. It's nothing but an eternal exchange of arguments, so we can also stop it at all and go back to the one and only aim of TM:United: having fun by driving together with other people from around the world, on whatever server u go... :!:

Wolf2000me
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by Wolf2000me » 13 May 2007 20:58

Maybe the question is. Would the lol map servers exist if there was no ladder? Obviously if they would exist they wouldn't nearly be as popular as they are now.
If one plays for them and has fun with them, i really don't see the problem. But if one convinces himself he or she plays for fun then that's rally sad.

I know one wouldn't catch me in one those servers even if they paid me for it.