The eSport season continues on TrackMania

Here you can comment all news published on the official site of Trackmania
Focushome
sunday driver
sunday driver

The eSport season continues on TrackMania

Post by Focushome » 18 Sep 2008 08:09

ET: Electronic Tournament

Electronic Tournament returns with more news than ever, a ladder and new cups. Latest specialty highlighted: endurance. Electronic Tournament remains the benchmark for those competitions. This is where the best TrackMania players are racing for the Giant Cup, the countries battle of TrackMania Nations but also the largest competition organized to date: the Stadium Team Championship 5, with 128 teams on the starting line. And to make sure you won’t miss anything from the competition, you’ll be able to watch finals on spectators servers!

==> Discover ET

ESWC: Electronic Sports World Cup

For the fourth consecutive year, Games-Services announces the World Cup TrackMania at the the Electronic Sports World Cup. This huge global competition, highly respected by players around the world, began the new season with four games, including TrackMania. The last season ended in San Jose, California, where Sweden took the title with the victory of Frostbeule. At the second place, former world champion, Xenogears, from the Netherlands. The third and fourth are two renowned French players: Line, followed by the first world TrackMania champion, Carl!

==> Discover ESWC

ESL: Electronic Sports League

The biggest online competition website in the world introduces TrackMania in its top games! Indeed, TrackMania made its appearance in the Major League. It is therefore the only racing game to be among the other 10 most popular and competitive games in the world.
TrackMania Nations Forever confirms once again its position as the reference for online competitions.

==> Discover ESL

Dec
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF

Re: The eSport season continues on TrackMania

Post by Dec » 18 Sep 2008 08:38

ftw!

Nice to see TM in the ESWC again and lovely news about the ESL majors :thumbsup:

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 18 Sep 2008 09:06

Forever has been released since some months and the game is starting well for competitions. We expect the phenomenon to grow for many reasons and this is great. The game has been designed to be a world wide competitive game and we are really happy for this to happen. It was a challenge to make a game to do this, since you can not simply claim the place. My goal, now, is to bring more and more people to discover this environment. If we can multiply the number of people to get into it, it will grow even more. So, expect the year to come to be in that direction. This is the best thing we can do to help ET, ESWC and ESL.

Insomnia
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMS, TMO
Manialink(s): ET

Post by Insomnia » 18 Sep 2008 10:10

I just hope, that there will be some new content at least next year, because -besides getting new people to TM- there should be something to keep the old ones there aswell. I feel a deep lack of motivation in the teams which are there for 4.5 years now, and they'd really need something new to play with, the best would be a totally new environment or two. The new functions in Forever are really cool, but they're not things who motivate to play longer, they help people like us at ET to make our life easier, but even with the coolest competitions we cannot force the people to stay here for another 4 years. So I hope Nadeo will take the right decision here and bring some new stuff into TM, and I don't mean again new features, but content :)

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 18 Sep 2008 11:02

I am sorry, but as for eSport, it has quite nothing to do with it. Starcraft and Counter Strike are good exemple of this. I was amused of seeing ESL take a new Counter-Strike map this year: de_blue. What a change! Players need stability for competition. I would not like to train for one gameplay and see the gameplay change afterward.

I think there are new things on TrackMania already. Endurance has probably a bright future and some others player made addition will surely come soon on competition side. It will bring more and more activities. As for people that would like to stop playing, this is surely not new "pictures" that will make them so. I think that once you are fed up with a game, it is not content that saves it, but a break. The good thing is that this very same player will be able to come back in some time and feel that they can perform with something they know. To change music instrument or sport is not really good for people life, you can appreciate long term knowledge and skill development.

You probably have less motivated players that occupies highly important function among organizations. They really need to find ways to communicate their passion and responsibilities to new players. Both can win like this. New players get good attentions and efficient environment while older ones can enjoy the progress of their own creation. I think it is a mistake to try to have the same players at the same place forever. There are 2 million new players in the last 6 months. My goal is to help them integrate your communities.

My view on TrackMania is to offer a place that you know and that you can come back with great pleasure. It is an activity more than an experience. If you want to have new creation, for a short period of time, there are many many games around. TrackMania is like bicycle, football or swimming... you never really forget how to play, and this is a good way to keep old players coming back.

I received poetry from players that were sticking around since years on desert demo. They were together, having fun, and the number of gameplay or blocks were less a trouble for them. This is a little the same thing with stadium. Millions are playing this environment while 6 others are just waiting for them to play with. Many United players like to stick to some environments or gameplay.

I don't think that 3000 blocks would make the difference with the current 1500. We started the first game with around 150.

In addition, a lot of players, that are really active, are less into the game. They spend time on forums, tools, creation program, chats etc. New thing in the community will be more efficient that new thing into the game. I look forward new thing in the community, and you shall see some new soon.

I never enjoyed more TrackMania than seeing the semi-final of San Jose on ManiaChannel. In the battle between Pezi, Carl, Lign and Ghost. In fact, I liked more the first races we had at Nadeo, but it was pretty close ^_^ Spectating is new and brings a new way to enjoy the game in my opinion. The final of Nations cup can be announced to hundred of thousands of players and broadcast on our server with 5000 slots I think ^_^ It requires players to look after it, but this is the kind of new experience I look after.

I have seen many players on descending phase of interest. It is really logical that it happens and they really need to handle this correctly. Worst case are players that will start to blame everybody that they are involved in things they do not want anymore. It is normal to have a decrease in interest of many things. My preferred attitude is to adjust it and enjoy on a longer basis the community, instead of going for a break. But everybody needs to find it's balance.

Finally! I think that stories of the community are the most interesting reason to stick around, and I think you can bet that more and more are coming. It always take a little time to take off after a release, because people are discovering the content. Once they see that the community is so interesting, they get into the better part :1

Florent
Nadeo

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 18 Sep 2008 13:17

I agree with Inso that the motivation is fading a bit, at least in TMU. The veteran players of CMC are becoming less interested (our first team will be quite a bit weaker in UL4), LM pretty much died, and hal-ko and ys-tp aren't what they used to be either. And there aren't a lot of new players coming in. UL4 should be interesting... maybe a new team will get a top spot?

And I can see how many United players would like a new environment (either new physics for some (me) or new looks for others (tmx :mrgreen: ). TMU players are often in it because of the diversity of the game. They can drive all the different environments well, and they could probably drive a new environment well, too. I really liked it when TMS came out, and played that for a year or so, same with TMN. Current TM is fun and all, but one of the strengths of TM is the diversity and the different gameplay in the various environments, so I'm sure quite a few players would be happy if you added to that aspect too.

TMN players or TMPU demo players are probably different there, they prefer perfecting their techniques and driving a lot on what they have. That's why TMN competitions don't use the TMF blocks much, I think.

If the competition/esports way is the way you want to go, then you're probably looking at the players from the third paragraph here. I wonder how long they will stay, though. Top TMN players eventually stop playing too.
Just don't forget about TMU and the Trackmania spirit :tmforever:

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS

Post by jamie_macdonald » 18 Sep 2008 14:31

Zooz wrote:maybe a new team will get a top spot?
Yeah [dr] FTW!!! lol .. who am i kidding :roflol:

And as for the new env .. yea i too would love some ... but i dont mind if it takes a while ... im not going anywhere ...

I plan to practice and grow with the game plug ET some more and have some fun ... biding my time till "toy" and "space" appear :gobananas: hehehehe ^^

Manuel
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Manuel » 18 Sep 2008 14:47

yep, a new environment would absolutely be super cool!

i would even think about paying like $5-$10 for it, maybe as an add-on or something like that :)
it would help keeping trackmania the coolest game on earth :lovetm

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 18 Sep 2008 14:53

"If the competition/esports way is the way you want to go"
This news is about competitions, this is why I am talking about this.

Before the release of United, the record of simultaneous players online was of 400 maybe. After, it went 2000, and now it is above 4000 (only on the paying version) FragMag was dynamic when 100 times less players were around. The dynamics are more link at the way you can welcome new players than the ability to keep the old ones even more than you are already doing! There are new teams every week on TrackMania. More than 30% of the buyers of United over the last two years, connected in the august month alone. This is tremendous and I had difficulties to believe it!

It is really great to keep old timers around and in the French forum, there is a hello from Yannbastian, the rush rider, at the moment that other old players answer, and it is fun and great. Stories and history is building itself in the game and we are very careful about this.

Zooz, I was able to look at your race thanks to maniachannel, you were able to make it thanks to laps mode and it was on seven environments because of United. It is difficult to ask for better result than current ones. We have successfully kept "desert" alive for years while making new things. The dedicated servers are more sophisticated than ever, ladder more robust too. So, if it is about the past choices, I have to disagree, and if it is about future, this is a little strange to give advices. You can tell what you think you would prefer, but advices or to know what you will is, in my opinion, difficult. I am thinking many hours everyday to that simple question ;)

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 18 Sep 2008 15:27

Florent wrote: This news is about competitions, this is why I am talking about this.
That's why it was an if-statement, because you didn't actually say it, it's just a hypothetical situation.

I don't think I was giving advice, just sort of analyzing the situation and giving my opinion on it, I guess. And I'm not saying that expanding the features was bad (remember that discussion with Vince on ET forum? ^^), just that some of us would like to see some expansion for the actual "driving" part of the game as well :)

yes, you could say that the features support the driving, but i didn't mean it that way

Insomnia
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMS, TMO

Post by Insomnia » 18 Sep 2008 15:55

So then I wonder, why there has been Sunrise? I mean if 3 environments (TMO) are enough, why adding another 3? And the year after, why has there been Nations? If 6 environments (TMO+TMS) are enough, why adding another one?

You already had the thought two times, that adding environments is a nice idea, why not having it a 3rd time? Oh wait, you did! Moon and Toy, right? So you must agree, that you once had the idea yourself, to extend the game. Why not finalizing it? Have the thought a 3rd time, and finish it. That would be so healthy for the game!

PS: If you're so much into competitions, why don't you then go and fix all those jump and landing bugs, which bring more luck into the game than to be fair, and why do we have such an advantage with analog controllers against keyboard players on nearly all environments? - not really competitive

And as Zooz said: We don't give advices, but tell our opinion, and represent the opinion of a part of the community. Is that forbidden?

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 18 Sep 2008 16:37

Insomnia wrote:So then I wonder, why there has been Sunrise? I mean if 3 environments (TMO) are enough, why adding another 3? And the year after, why has there been Nations? If 6 environments (TMO+TMS) are enough, why adding another one?

You already had the thought two times, that adding environments is a nice idea, why not having it a 3rd time? Oh wait, you did! Moon and Toy, right? So you must agree, that you once had the idea yourself, to extend the game. Why not finalizing it? Have the thought a 3rd time, and finish it. That would be so healthy for the game!

PS: If you're so much into competitions, why don't you then go and fix all those jump and landing bugs, which bring more luck into the game than to be fair, and why do we have such an advantage with analog controllers against keyboard players on nearly all environments? - not really competitive

And as Zooz said: We don't give advices, but tell our opinion, and represent the opinion of a part of the community. Is that forbidden?
It is not forbideen to give your opinion at all.

Do you want mine?

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 18 Sep 2008 16:42

Your what?

reading only the last bit of a post powaaaa

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 18 Sep 2008 16:50

Zooz wrote: "And I can see how many United players would like a new environment"

The question would be to know what was best. To say that we must do two things instead of one is quite obvious. What is less obvious is to deal with choices. If the one we did in the past are wrong in your opinion, I am quite okay to learn about it. If you think you want some stuff instead of another in the future, it is okay. But look at the last post of Insomnia :roll:

If it is only the obvious: we want more, then I would answer with the obvious: there are more players to prove that new environments were not the key.

People play football with the same field since decades :/ I know you would like more content, but tell how long would last the game more for you if there is one more environment, and if there are 7 news.

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 18 Sep 2008 17:14

Well, I was going to put something about choosing in that post but I couldn't think of a way to do it without having it sound like I'd be telling you what to do.

But yes, you obviously can't do everything at the same time (would be nice though) so you'd have to choose. You've chosen for "features" a few times now, maybe it's time for a different choice? :mrgreen:
In my opinion, for improving/expanding the game, both features and content matter, and since you can't do it at the same time, maybe do it sequentially?

Of course, you're running a business so you're probably doing market research and such to make choices, instead of listening to a random poster on an internet forum, but most people still like to give opinions ^^

Anyway, I don't think it's a matter of "how long it lasts" but more about how enjoyable it is to play. TM is a really fun game and I probably won't just stop playing it, but it can always be more fun, of course. I think adding new environments can archieve this since it's a pretty central part of the game (in TMU). But to give an answer to the question, one new environment can go quite a long way (look at TMN). So with a limited amount of time I'd prefer 1 nice polished environment over 3 basic new environments. 3 envs would be fun and all, but there are disadvantages to having lots of environments as well, and a high-quality one would probably be better in the long run too ("it lasts longer" and people will have less complaints about it).

Also, a new environment might pull in more TMN players to TMU, because they don't seem to like the current ones much.

And I agree with the spirit of Insomnia's post, he just phrased it a bit aggressively (probably out of frustration).

edit: Oh, and I won't comment on the past decisions because I can't, you never know what would have happened if you made a different decision and you just end up with a lot of vague "what if" things.