Collisions: this video may hurt!

Here you can comment all news published on the official site of Trackmania
SeleniaFromFocus
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU

Collisions: this video may hurt!

Post by SeleniaFromFocus » 27 Oct 2009 11:34

TrackMania has spent all its life without any single collision between cars… the players thought they could carelessly pass through the cars of their challengers, but this time is over…

Through six collisions, this video celebrates this too long "abstinence": a dream to some, a nightmare to others! The TrackMania United Forever version of the mediatracker allows to create hat tricks easier than you can imagine.

We are sure you will appreciate the realization and the making-off of this demonstration made by Evets.

Watch the streaming video

Mixo
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN, TMU
Manialink(s): Mix

Re: Collisions: this video may hurt!

Post by Mixo » 27 Oct 2009 19:36

Brilliantly executed. :thumbsup:

Dec
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF

Post by Dec » 28 Oct 2009 16:49

Awsome, tho the thought about colliding cars in TM still poses a nightmare to me^^

Trackmaniack
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: All

Post by Trackmaniack » 04 Nov 2009 21:40

Bump! This is the first time I've seen this video, and if this doesn't convince Florent to my idea, then nothing will! xD But either way, this is a very well done video that sends a new idea the TM-Community's way and I, personally, am very much impressed!

Everyone
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: Trackmania Sunrise

Post by Everyone » 14 Nov 2009 13:48

Does that mean that Trackmania will finally get car collisions? I bought Trackmania Sunrise long time ago and one of the reasons that I quit it was the lack of multiplayer feel. I mean you race with others, you can see them, honk at them and that's pretty much it... like they're racing in some other time-space dimension.

Now I know the reason why collisions were left out - usual carspeeds in this game are so insane that a minor bump often results in the car flying out of the road and most tracks are designed in a way that makes it necessary to achieve such speeds (to make large jumps and such). Crashing with other car while gaining speed needed to go through some obstacle would be very irritating. Add lag to that mixture and you got cars crashing with pure air and all simmilar nonsense.

Still I think that collisions should be available as an option. But that would also require people to design tracks, that are more multiplayer and FUN to drive and less Sky Roads fashion-like :(

weird
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMO,TMS,TMN,TMUF

Post by weird » 14 Nov 2009 16:49

Everyone wrote:Does that mean that Trackmania will finally get car collisions?
it's just a video, you can see at the end of it how it was done.
Everyone wrote:Still I think that collisions should be available as an option.
how would you suggest the start of a track work with collisions? you'd have to have a grid to start from, instead of everyone in the same spot, and then you'd have some qualifying to determine the grid position and so on... ;)

would have to be a totally different game in terms of how to make the tracks as well. so while your idea *might* be sane for TM2, i doubt the majority of the players would approve...

don16086
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMO

Post by don16086 » 15 Nov 2009 20:40

I think you could just have specific tracks where you allow collision, playing a 2 player race for instance would be more fun if you could knock your buddy off the road. The Burnout way is not a bad thing.

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Post by Xymph » 15 Nov 2009 23:28

don16086 wrote:The Burnout way is not a bad thing.
Maybe, but it's the Burnout way, not to be confused with the TrackMania way.

isamu
road tourist
road tourist

Post by isamu » 29 Nov 2009 08:43

Everyone wrote:
Still I think that collisions should be available as an option. But that would also require people to design tracks, that are more multiplayer and FUN to drive and less Sky Roads fashion-like :(
Totally totally agree. 100%

Cum on Florent please give us this option!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pil :3

GS-Liam
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by GS-Liam » 02 Dec 2009 18:13

Looks Good and more of a challenge :thumbsup:

Bramble
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Bramble » 04 Dec 2009 19:17

I think I'd stop playing if collisions were added. It's just not Trackmania.

If you want collisions then go and play any other racing game on the market...

Trackmaniack
solid chaser
solid chaser

Post by Trackmaniack » 04 Dec 2009 19:27

Okay. I was of the "TM should have collisions crowd", until I played TM with collisions. Doesn't work, doesn't look good, I don't like it, any sort of negative superlative you can think of. If you REALLY want to try TM with collisions, go here. Crashday.com. Or here. Nitrostuntracing.com. If those sites are down, Google is your friend. Those two games are a bit like what Trackmania would be like with collisions. As you will soon see...not fun. At least, not as fun.

MCXD
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMN

Post by MCXD » 04 Dec 2009 21:18

TM will collisions sounds like a bad idea. The video however is very, very well made. I quite enjoyed watching it and appreciate the work they put into it.

I would probably stop playing too if collisions were included in Trackmania. I don't even do multiplayer much, but in the event I do (and will), something like that would be a huge turn off, even as an option (because I imagine some more nasty server owners would abuse it).

For a game which is all about precision racing lines, mass restarts, extremely high speeds and not a wide margin for error, collisions would turn tracks into less about 'driving skill' and more into 'who can hang around and screw up the other players'. It would be totally out of the spirit of TM, and in my opinion, a poor design choice.

( Destructible environment though is a different story )

But yeah :V The video is good, and I'm interested to see if any one can do something similar again.

Everyone
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: Trackmania Sunrise

Post by Everyone » 16 Dec 2009 20:37

weird wrote:it's just a video, you can see at the end of it how it was done.
Yeah, I was at a place with poor connection when I watched it for the first time, so I never got that far.
weird wrote:how would you suggest the start of a track work with collisions? you'd have to have a grid to start from
and that's just one of the many solutions. The other is everyone starting from the same spot while beeing "collision-transparent". Player's car becomes "collision-opaque" after a few seconds or/and when not in collision space of other cars. Collin McRae was working like that in multiplayer.
Trackmaniack wrote:If you REALLY want to try TM with collisions, go here. Crashday.com. Or here. Nitrostuntracing.com
It's not trackmania with collisions. At least not Crashday (never played the other one), it's not even close to Trackmania. In TM it's FUN to drive a car while in Crashday the driving model is horrible, more like driving a trailer filled with bricks, fitted with a jet engine.
MCXD wrote:For a game which is all about precision racing lines, mass restarts, extremely high speeds and not a wide margin for error, collisions would turn tracks into less about 'driving skill'
Well, then why is there multiplayer in the first place? After all those passing cars sometimes can be confusing and you might do a mistake which will make you drive against an obstacle. Ofcourse you can turn off too close opponents but it's not of a big help when there's 8 other cars around you. Then you can just press the "O" key and all of them are gone! But suddenly it doesn't feel like multiplayer any more at all...
I'm not a die hard about this collision thing. I wouldn't like it to be a force must but rather as a server-side option, because it's good to fly with mad speed through the whole map, but it's also good to do some 'full-contact' racing with friends. I have some good memories from playing NFS:Porshe with my buddies.

Dexu
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Dexu » 17 Dec 2009 17:34

the collisions is bad i think... when u try to get a nice time or anything the just someone come and crash in you and your time goes to A55... and how about the start when everybody starts at same time?

i have not readed the comments so i dont know if someone talkd about this...