STARFORCE: WHY I HAVE UNINSTALLED TMS, TMO, TMX AND TMEWC

News about what's going on in the community...

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Should Nedeo remove starforce copy protection from their games?

Poll ended at 31 Oct 2008 02:45

Please god yes! I have a brain and starforce is no good!
48%
No, I like trojans and viruses bypassing the built in security on my system.
7%
Edit: The author of this poll is simple minded and a liar in some ways
45%

Total votes: 146

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 24 Aug 2006 01:12

djsolidsnake86 wrote:when will be out patches for remove starforce from our beloved trackmania games?
Nadeo needs to make money too, people actually need to buy the game instead of begging them to remove the copy protection so they can download it.

RavenZero
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMN & TMU

Post by RavenZero » 24 Aug 2006 05:44

i'm pretty sure those 12 pages have at less one answer for your question djsolidnake86...

anyway, this thread never dies? :X

Wolf2000me
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by Wolf2000me » 25 Aug 2006 15:26

Zooz wrote:
djsolidsnake86 wrote:when will be out patches for remove starforce from our beloved trackmania games?
Nadeo needs to make money too, people actually need to buy the game instead of begging them to remove the copy protection so they can download it.
Nadeo makes money and it has nothing to do with the copy protection. It has to do with the superb quality of their games.

There's no need to twist or turn it. SF is a menace to anyones system and still it is not uncrackable.

I have bought TMPU (TMO) and yet I have never been able to play it due to some SF problem. You may find the problem described earlier in this thread. Unless I do a reinstall of my OS or a Linux version comes out I will not be able to play it. That's great...
A friend of mine has had the same problem with TMS which was resolved only after a reinstall of winxp. The removal tool would indeed remove SF from the system but upon reinstalling SF with another game or demo the problem is there again.

Also while burning DVD's 1/4th of the disks goes to the garbage bin.

I'm sorry but I'm not into this Amerikan-like safety at all costs system.

Drake1009
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Drake1009 » 25 Aug 2006 16:34

And funnily enough it's a russian system apparently :D

Anyway, I think that Nadeo does actually make a bit more because of starforce being in place, mainly because it's a superb game and the cracks for it are so horrible that it's far more to be preferred to buy the game.

Also having the thing so hard to crack keeps some of the worse players out (look at all the threads complaining about lamers on the ladder ruining it. Far worse in nations than sunrise, great part I'm sure thanks to the fact that sunrise and original aren't spread far and wide by piracy.

And yes, Starforce isn't uncrackable. I actually have 1 or starforce games now which I have a no-cd for which works fine without CD. Xpand rally used starforce on the discs I got (original release), but I found a no-cd crack for it, I'm guessing one of the later releases of the game were released without starforce, and quickly crackers get around it and make no-cds for the game.

The other is Medieval lords. I think it was distributed with starforce when it was distributed under nadeo. I got it in the white label collection using another protection scheme, and it works fine without CD, and I just hope that the cracks actually decrypted the stuff properly, otherwise I'll run into a big bug somewhere when the data read is incorrect, for that reason I keep the original exe handy.

The thing with these cracks tend to be that they were later released without starforce. Since original, Sunrise and Nations run on almost similar engines if one were to be released others would quickly be cracked too I think, and if Nadeo planned to release more games using the somewhat same engine, it'd be cracked quickly too. Bothersome though Starforce is, it's a smart move by Nadeo to keep it on their software at least until they decide they won't update the older games anymore anyway and are using new engines. Had they removed the protection from TM:PU we'd probably either never have gotten the TMO upgrade, or Starforce would've been re-implemented there, and that would mean a lot of people would still be playing the old version.

For reference on this, see Crashday's multiplayer. 1.0 was cracked, 1.1 wasn't. When I look at the server list I see maybe 9-10 1.0 games and 0 1.1 games. Now I wonder why that is...

RavenZero
swift roadking
swift roadking

Post by RavenZero » 26 Aug 2006 21:20

I mean what kind of computer configs cause these incompatibility troubles... :?

---OFF-TOPIC!---

OH MY! Do you have Xpand Rally too? :shock:

Cool! What about some matches someday? :D

spyrochaete
highway camper
highway camper

Post by spyrochaete » 28 Aug 2006 19:00

Just a quick note to say once again how heartbroken I am that such great games use such terrible copy protection. As it stands I will never ever buy a Nadeo game again because of the possibility of purchasing a nonrefundable Starforce-infected product. Nadeo puts no warning of Starforce on the box and no software store will accept an opened, or often unopened, PC game, so it's easiest to simply boycott Nadeo altogether.

Here is a short article about some problems people have with Starforce and examples of how arrogant and irresponsible the company is:
http://demodulated.blogspot.com/2006/05 ... force.html

PLEASE, Nadeo! Trackmania is such an outstanding series of games! Pretty please show some respect for your paying customers and don't use Starforce with your next release. Many companies have dropped Starforce due to overwhelming customer requests and even class-action lawsuits. Even Bugbear, publishers of Flatout 2, droped Starforce in favour of Safedisc for the North American release due to enormous complaints by European gamers who were inconvenienced by the copy protection.

Well, I'll check back again in 6 months to see if your legitimate paying customers are still angry for being considered criminals by you, Nadeo. My copy of Trackmania Sunrise is sitting on my shelf indefinitely because you think I'm a crook, apparently, and I'll never again pay you to insult my credibility.

dustyjo
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMU, TMS, TMN

Post by dustyjo » 28 Aug 2006 19:51

^This person obviously doesn't want to be here^
-dustyjo Happy TrackManiac since Dec. 2004

Drake1009
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Drake1009 » 28 Aug 2006 19:56

droped Starforce in favour of Safedisc
Sorry I couldn't resist. From the behaviour of safedisk and the behaviour of starforce I definately prefer starforce. Sure it might take a bit longer to load up, but both load low level drivers, both don't point out they do so, only starforce provides an uninstaller while Safedisk just sort of stays around after you uninstall games using it (including a few null keys you just can't delete. Found those by accident when a rootkit scanning program stumbled over them and flagged them). Only reason I'd prefer safedisk over starforce would be because safedisk is quite often cracked and as such it's easier for me to free up a drive.

dustyjo
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by dustyjo » 28 Aug 2006 20:00

Yeah, the only thing I find annoying about starforce is the CD authentification times.

Baboy
solid chaser
solid chaser

Post by Baboy » 28 Aug 2006 20:18

This thread wants to be locked, does it? How about stopping posting the same old "StarForce suxxx" messages? Not everyone does it, but many people. I won't say names, but you should get who I'm talking about.

dustyjo
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by dustyjo » 28 Aug 2006 20:26

I'm kind of suprised it's been going on for 6 months.

Baboy
solid chaser
solid chaser

Post by Baboy » 28 Aug 2006 20:28

Maybe we were hoping that some people can complain without being so subjective and offensive. I guess we were wrong.

Leak
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMU

Post by Leak » 28 Aug 2006 20:50

Baboy wrote:This thread wants to be locked, does it?
Yeah, put it out of it's misery - it's more than ran it's course... :roll:

np: Radiohead - Everything In Its Right Place (Live at Bayside Embarcadero, San Diego CA (27.06.2006))

RavenZero
swift roadking
swift roadking

Post by RavenZero » 28 Aug 2006 21:08

Baboy wrote:This thread wants to be locked, does it? How about stopping posting the same old "StarForce suxxx" messages? Not everyone does it, but many people. I won't say names, but you should get who I'm talking about.
YES! New poll! Who wants this thread to be LOCKED?

o/

dustyjo
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by dustyjo » 28 Aug 2006 22:12

OOH! Me! Me! I DO!