TMU Information thread [Updated 2006/10/08]

News about what's going on in the community...

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Acegikmo
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

TMU Information thread [Updated 2006/10/08]

Post by Acegikmo » 01 Oct 2006 00:14

TMU Official information

So the next game Nadeo will release is Trackmania: United.
Here's almost all information released this far.

General info:

http://www.factornews.com/news-18615-Tr ... nited.html (French)
viewtopic.php?t=3108&start=2580 (Same as above but translated to English)
http://www.trackmaniaunited.com/

Interviews:
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2006/00018341.htm (French)
http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... en&ie=UTF8 (Same as above but Google translated, a bit hard to understand anyway :P)

Screenshots:
The Boxshot:
http://www.jeuxvideopc.com/jeux/boite-1 ... united.php

Game Screenshots:
http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/images-trackman ... 1-0-0.html
http://www.trackmaniaunited.com/ [2006/10/06]
http://www.cyber-legends.com/tmu/tmu.html

Videos:

somevideos
again
Another collection

Hope people who didn't check the whole TMU thread see this ;)
Those of you who have the beta, are not allowed to post info or screenshots that are not official.
I think you know that anyway :)
    Last edited by Acegikmo on 09 Oct 2006 18:33, edited 13 times in total.
    Moderator of tm forum.

Syco
    sunday driver
    sunday driver
    Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMS, TM2S

Post by Syco » 01 Oct 2006 13:06

RavenZero
    swift roadking
    swift roadking
    Owned TM-games: TMS, TMN & TMU

Post by RavenZero » 01 Oct 2006 15:28

THIS! Could be a sticky :)

Baboy
    solid chaser
    solid chaser

Post by Baboy » 01 Oct 2006 15:41

I'd suggest to make this for EVERY TMU news that comes out, counting pics, vids, dates, interviews, etc.. Then it could be a sticky.

Acegikmo
    TM-Patrol
    TM-Patrol

Post by Acegikmo » 01 Oct 2006 18:40

I'll update this thread as more TMU media releases.
    I will sticky it when we get 10 more screens and/or a video :)
    Moderator of tm forum.

RavenZero
    swift roadking
    swift roadking

Post by RavenZero » 01 Oct 2006 18:44

All right guys :)

Acegikmo
    TM-Patrol
    TM-Patrol

Post by Acegikmo » 01 Oct 2006 18:47

Baboy's got a point though.
    I'll update and add TMU info soon.

EDIT: Stickied ;)
    Moderator of tm forum.

darksidex
    smooth traffic navigator
    smooth traffic navigator
    Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU Beta

Post by darksidex » 01 Oct 2006 19:29

there should be a multilanguage site with all known info and screenshots of TMU :D
    PCL: Toshiba Tecra S2 | Intel Centrino 760 2Ghz | 1024 MB DDR2 | 60GB HDD | GeForce Go 6600 64MB | 15,4" TFT 1400x1050 | Keyboard | Win XP Pro NL SP2 | Cable 256/10.000

Former Trackmania Nations Player & Trackmania United Beta Tester

Baboy
    solid chaser
    solid chaser

Post by Baboy » 01 Oct 2006 19:31

I'm sure someone will hear that... :)

RavenZero
    swift roadking
    swift roadking

Post by RavenZero » 01 Oct 2006 19:31

true, but just french site contents some advanced info about TMU :?

darksidex
    smooth traffic navigator
    smooth traffic navigator
    Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU Beta

Post by darksidex » 01 Oct 2006 20:37

RavenZero wrote:true, but just french site contents some advanced info about TMU :?
    so the webmaster must speak french and english very good :P
    PCL: Toshiba Tecra S2 | Intel Centrino 760 2Ghz | 1024 MB DDR2 | 60GB HDD | GeForce Go 6600 64MB | 15,4" TFT 1400x1050 | Keyboard | Win XP Pro NL SP2 | Cable 256/10.000

Former Trackmania Nations Player & Trackmania United Beta Tester

Acegikmo
    TM-Patrol
    TM-Patrol

Post by Acegikmo » 01 Oct 2006 22:35

darksidex wrote:so the webmaster must speak french and english very good :P
    Very rare thing :roll:

EDIT: LOL, added first video
    Moderator of tm forum.

RavenZero
    swift roadking
    swift roadking

Post by RavenZero » 01 Oct 2006 22:39

darksidex wrote:
    RavenZero wrote:true, but just french site contents some advanced info about TMU :?
    so the webmaster must speak french and english very good :P
    I know a webmaster called Google Translator :lol:

BLaHiTiS
    lord of the roads
    lord of the roads
    Owned TM-games: tmu tmo tms tmn
    Manialink(s): muxitis

Post by BLaHiTiS » 02 Oct 2006 06:17

Don't worry, you dont have to speak french at all.. at least you don't have to go trough the shame I have, trying to speak a language I cant :P You'll see :P

• MB:Asus P8 H61
    • CPU:Intel i5 2400
    • RAM:8 Gb
    • GFX:Asus GTX-580 (1500mb DDR5) - Forceware 75.33
    • DirectX: June 2011
    • SND:Realtek HD on mobo
    [/size]

Daiima
    happy cruiser
    happy cruiser

Post by Daiima » 02 Oct 2006 15:41

Let's translate the jeuxvideo.com article
    Florent Castelnerac is project director at Nadeo. After showing us the next TrackMania, he accepted answering our questions about this new version.

jeuxvideo.com: How would you define TMU in a few words?

Florent Castelnerac: United gathers and fits the needs of everyone. Each player will play at the level of this 'county', share his creations, aso.

jeuxvideo.com: During the presentation you said United needed a huge amount of work. What kind of work was it?

Florent Castelnerac: First at all, United represents the biggest budget for Nadeo and people we're showing it to can't really see this point. That's why we take the time to explain everything we did. Everyone thinks that the graphic card is a really great advantage to make nice games but there's also other things. There is the network card which allows players to be together and we worked at Nadeo a lot with people outside to be able to realize this project. Saying this is for sure less easy-selling than a beautiful trailer but we have made a huge number of efforts as we worked hours and hours very hard to be as convincant as we were in our first days.

jeuxvideo.com: Should United be seen as an add-on or as a full game?

Florent Castelnerac: It's a full game. Once more it's difficult to say it like that because our buyers are not very sensitive to this argument but it's our 2.0 engine, so it's a brand new game.

jeuxvideo.com: As a developper, how do you manage this new beginning? Do you know when there will be other ones? Do you regret beggining earlier and not in 2006, and not using today's tools?

Florent Castelnerac: It's much hard in fact. A games studio has to success in all creation steps. We got our dedicated server last year, aso. We don't regret all the steps that allowed us to progress, but it's sure that today's tools allow doing much more innovant things as before.

jeuxvideo.com: It may also be a question of imagination and of sight...

Florent Castelnerac: I don't think so. You shouldn't stop to the first idea but find the second, the third one... At the end of the time, you get a kind of monsters fight in which only one idea will surpass the other ones. And it's probably our better strength: being in a permanent debate.

jeuxvideo.com: Games remain incredible freedom places. Aren't you afraid of cheating?

Florent Castelnerac: Until now we're lucky as we never discovered cheating in three years, and it's some kind of hard thing when your game is mostly online. Never any cheat has been proved in TM. But it's true that we made a great work making everything we could about preventing any kind of cheat we thought possible. It's a continue fight against cheaters, but cheaters themselves has not begun this fight against us. We still have a few safety fences.

jeuxvideo.com: And could it change with the new coppers system? Can you imagine what could happen?

Florent Castelnerac: You can't cheat on your coppers account. It's persistant and directly managed by the server. The only cheat we can imagine, it's some private stories between friends in order to steal some coppers. We'll wait to see what will happen for a few time before acting against it. TM still requests no subscription. Coppers are a currency "to make like" as Monopoly's banknotes and if you give wrongly the money back while doing the bank, we can't be held for responsible.

jeuxvideo.com: It's OK but for example WoW's money is not "real money". Nevertheless there's a gargantious underground economy that requests centains of account deletions. Don't you find that it makes the game spirit a bit rotten?

Florent Castelnerac: TM differs from WoW by 2 essential points. First of all, there's no subscription, so we can relativize. In TM you don't lose 10 months of subscription if you have a problem with coppers. But WoW is overall based on time: if I spend months and months to make a character grow up and offer him powerful objects, I'll be very angry if someone beats me with a cheat. But TM is also based on the player's qualities and skills: if I break my account down and have a lot of difficulties, I restart from nothing and find my performences back as it only depends on my driver's skill. In TMN, if you're much good, you don't need more than a dizain of hours to reach the worldwide top 1000.

jeuxvideo.com: You can very easily change the music of the maps. It's an open door for the copyright violation, isn't it?

Florent Castelnerac: Yes, but it's everywhere like that. If you put on the net a link to a copyrighted music, the owner can ask you to delete it. For us it's the same thing.

jeuxvideo.com: The game is still very arcade-styled. Could the next TM evolution be about the physics, with cars destroying or mechanical problems? What's your mind on it?

Florent Castelnerac: I don't know if it could ever happen. Anyway, now we don't want this. I know this could be fun. If TM would take more distance from other games, we could make it. Why so? It's because this change could be benefic to people who'd like it. Today, we think that other games, like FlatOut or Burnout, are still doing it and it's important that each one keeps its own personality. But it's not impossible to plan: we could give to our players the network, the P2P, the local ladder and the features of the other games. But I would do it against my purpose because, for me, it would concurrence some other games.

jeuxvideo.com: Thank you, Mr Castelnerac.
    Last edited by Daiima on 03 Oct 2006 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
    AMD Sempron 3000+ @ 2 GHz
    ATI Radeon 9200 Series @ 128 MB
    Realtek AC'97 Audio
    512 MB RAM
    ~3 GB availiable on HD
    Windows XP Home Edition 2002 with SP2
    512 KB DSL