Hello

General discussion about all the Trackmania series.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Trackmaniack
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: All

Re: Hello

Post by Trackmaniack » 24 Sep 2007 19:22

Koroner wrote:
otmb;ripbox wrote:sounds like you have plenty of time kill Florent..... so i put to you the task of making TMU or even the roumerd TMH direct X 10 compliant :mrgreen: and maybe even look into why going to window/desktop mode under vista makes our video drivers crash and cause live kernal events when using any of the Nvidia 8000+ cards (and some ATI card)
I use Vista and with my 8600M GT everything works fine. When I go window mode I experience no issue at all.

I also tried some cool graphics settings such as bloom and motion blur and they look very pretty (although the latter is annoying to the race and I toggled it off).
I take it you have a pretty recent video card? I can't use either of those effects w/out suffering a MASSIVE drop in frame rate. It doesn't really annoy me, though, the graphics are beautiful anyway.
Cruisin' through life, TM-Style!

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 24 Sep 2007 19:31

Trackmaniack wrote:Really? Then how come when I try to use my decoder to check on some of the code of some of my games all I get is gibberish? I'm no hacker, I just have problems with some games sometimes, and I dabble in C++, and I try to fix the problems that I come across. I've fixed a few bugs this way, but most games I try to get into only spit back gibberish.
I don't think compiled code is human-readable, normally :P

Trackmaniack
solid chaser
solid chaser

Post by Trackmaniack » 24 Sep 2007 19:43

Zooz wrote:
Trackmaniack wrote:Really? Then how come when I try to use my decoder to check on some of the code of some of my games all I get is gibberish? I'm no hacker, I just have problems with some games sometimes, and I dabble in C++, and I try to fix the problems that I come across. I've fixed a few bugs this way, but most games I try to get into only spit back gibberish.
I don't think compiled code is human-readable, normally :P
Where can you get a decompiler? Or is that even legal? Like I said, I'm not looking to reverse-engineer any games, I just like knowing how things work, and solving problems as I come across them.

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 24 Sep 2007 20:04

I don't think decompilers exist, normally. Code is only supposed to be readable to the developers, not to the users (they get the compiled version, which doesn't have the code, just the instructions that the compiler made out of the code). If that's not the intention of the developers, they make it open-source. TM is not open-source :P

If anyone could get the code from a copy of TM, anyone could modify it at will, which is probably not what Nadeo wants. And there must be other reasons that make more sense, but i'm not an expert on this :P

If you're interested in looking at game code, there are plenty of open source games I think. I know OpenTTD and HoverRace. There must be newer games as well, though as far as i know no commercial games are open-source because that would defeat the whole point of making money with it.

EntropicLqd
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN, TMU

Post by EntropicLqd » 24 Sep 2007 20:09

Trackmaniack wrote:Really? Then how come when I try to use my decoder to check on some of the code of some of my games all I get is gibberish?...
I'm guessing that'll be the "no debug" and "optimise" compile time options. I know I'm simplifying, but seriously, the decompiled code from a good optimising C++ compiler will look nothing like the original code. And once you take out all of the information held in the "debug" versions of the exe there's not a lot left for a decompiler to work with.

Herrick
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TM-forum warrior.

Post by Herrick » 25 Sep 2007 17:17

Since Florent has so much free time how about fixing the damn sign but that is STILL in TMU.
The Demons man, the Demons!

Don't like my posts? Feel free to not send me multiple PMs.

-Lr-SadHik
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: ALL
Manialink(s): :SadHik

Post by -Lr-SadHik » 25 Sep 2007 21:51

Herrick wrote:Since Florent has so much free time how about fixing the damn sign but that is STILL in TMU.
agree on the point that this bug have to be corrected (not on the point hat florent has too much free time :P )

what about a general forum for bug report if nadeo is working on it ?
Image Image

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 25 Sep 2007 21:58

It'd get swamped, and most importantly, with 90% repeats ^^
Probably it will be full of demands, complaints, support requests and other impoliteness. It'll be hell for the moderators I think ^^

Trackmaniack
solid chaser
solid chaser

Post by Trackmaniack » 26 Sep 2007 14:30

Herrick wrote:Since Florent has so much free time how about fixing the damn sign but that is STILL in TMU.
???? Confused? What sign?

crooms
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMUF

Post by crooms » 26 Sep 2007 15:51

Probably means the p2p bug/oversight which causes standard direction signs to display incorrectly, and in some cases corrupts them.

Herrick
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TM-forum warrior.

Post by Herrick » 26 Sep 2007 18:01

The very same.
The Demons man, the Demons!

Don't like my posts? Feel free to not send me multiple PMs.

DeaconWill
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by DeaconWill » 27 Oct 2007 18:12

oooooooooooh you´re a developer....

a great big "hello" to u from the UK* and thank you for the game(s)**

buh-bye

*i´m actually on holiday at the moment so, "hello from Gran Canaria"
**not sure how many or what TrackMania´s you have been part of

ScraPpy
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by ScraPpy » 17 Nov 2007 07:01

Hi Florent,
I dont say this much ,but"you da man"I love tmn,and TMU thanks for you and associates hard work to bring us not only a great game ,but,everything that goes along with this game.

It allows us to find creativity in us that we may not have have known we had. And it has formed a great community with (TMX,Carpark,MODS,and all the others that have contributed in there effort to help us players not only make movies ,tracks,cars and stuff but to be associated with all people all over the world.

I just wish our leaders (country) were as smart ,All kinds of good things could happen if they used their minds for better things than trying to control the world......ooops I`m daydreaming.

THANX ALL

Slig
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: ALL

Post by Slig » 17 Nov 2007 10:07

Zooz wrote:I don't think decompilers exist, normally. Code is only supposed to be readable to the developers, not to the users (they get the compiled version, which doesn't have the code, just the instructions that the compiler made out of the code). If that's not the intention of the developers, they make it open-source. TM is not open-source :P
What always can be done is disassemble, but :
- you get weird jump labels and variables names
- there are some bad interpretations (some data disassembled as code, etc)
- in some case you will get a small program whose job is to decode/decrypt a large data which contain the real program itself (and with Starforce it's probably worse than that)
- disassemble of C++ compiled program is probably very horible

In some cases, if the labels are not stripped at compile time and the program is not protectd, C or C++ decompilers perhaps can have some success, but logicaly public releases of proprietary programs are stripped, and anyway the program protection would need a very very high level in program hacking to get some chance in decompiling.

hpbifta
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by hpbifta » 17 Nov 2007 15:34

As slig said, when you de-compile code things start to look very odd, because where variables and constants etc started out with nice sensible tags such as "lapcounter", or "CarPosX", they tend to end up as sequential alphabetised strings such as "AAAAA", "AAAAB","AAAAC" etc and they make it almost impossible to track what the code is doing, and that is if as Slig also said the decompiler hasn`t gone and confused data with code and turned a sprite into a program which hangs up your pc.

Also as Zooz said there are games with their source code out there, Quake 1,2 and possibly 3 have all had their source-codes released to the public now, as have quite a few other games from that era.