What new track environments would you like to see?

General discussion about all the Trackmania series.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Bluhman
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMN

What new track environments would you like to see?

Post by Bluhman » 23 Sep 2007 02:27

If Nadeo were to develop another version of Trackmania, what new environments would you like to see as those said environments?

Here's what I'd definitely want to see. Not probable, but you can always hope. :lovetm :

Rush
This takes place in a large, bustling city (maybe like Tokyo). The track would, most realistically, be positioned above a standard set of roads below, with the track directly attached and provided support by surrounding buildings (or simply supports put on the ground below). There'd probably be no sort of natural landscape nearby; nothing but long stretches of urban construction.

The car would be a small sportscar, with a rather high maximum speed (lower than the F-1 racer in TMN, but very close), VERY fast acceleration, and a fair amount of traction.

The track would probably be a bit narrower than usual, and obstacles would be prevalent in them. The best way to get around corners would probably most likely be drifting, but could probably be taken at higher speeds if the turns were looser.

Safari
As made somewhat clear by its title, Safari would take place on the vast, rolling plains of Kenya. Dirt path, wooden loops and support structures, and maybe a few small huts here and there.

The vehicle would be a rugged SUV. Has a good maximum speed, but slow acceleration and rather poor turning. However, its main claim to fame is its aerial control. That said, the SUV would easily be able to get off its top if it tips over by shifting its weight back and forth to flip over.

This track type, as strange as it may seem, should focus on aerial mastery. Long jumps, halfpipe transitions, loops, and ramps abound. The track edges would have small barriers, which would discourage riding over them, but if need be, the SUV could power right over it if needed. Traction on the dirt paths and grass are about equal, meaning there would be a very high probability of encountering offroad sections of the track with no boundaries.

Highway
Highway, obviously, takes place on a long stretch of highway; maybe the German Autobahn? Long stretches of man made road weave around the natural, deciduous landscape. Buildings in this environment would probably be available, but not very expandable, nor used often.

Vehicle would be one of two things: A sleek convertible, with great speed and handling, but no aerial control whatsoever, or a Motorcycle, which would probably have pretty good stats all-around. (Then again, it's a motorcycle, and this is a game that has, until this, been predominantly composed of 4-wheeled vehicles).

Highway tracks would focus on nothing but flow. Wide road, Loose, banked turns and huge loops and corkscrews would be very common here. However, there are a few big obstacles that could potentially be faced by Racers: if the track happens to go onto an offroad section, the vehicles traction is going to suffer VERY badly, and driving offroad would also be very unsmooth and bumpy, potentially throwing you off your track and forcing you to correct your position. Another obstacle I thought up about; walls. Just huge walls in the way of the road at certain points in the track, forcing the driver to swerve to the way right, left, or center perfectly, or else smash straight into the wall.

Cruise
Cruise would take place in a classic-styled European city, maybe like London or Venice. Unlike Rush, though, it'd take place directly on the road, as opposed to a road positioned above the standard roads.

The Vehicle would be something of an older-styled Volkswagen. It's not a very swift vehicle, but it takes turns like nothing else. The car almost never slides, making it a charm to control. Another Idea I had about it would be that it drives backwards as quickly as it drives fowards, and also accelerates at the same rate.

Because of this, to compensate for that weight taken off of the drivers shoulders, the roads would be filled with dangers. Pillars and Walls, Jumps, Tight turns, Ramps, possibly some roof-driving, just plain madness abound. The potentially easiest car to control; coupled with the potentially hardest tracks to drive in... :lol:

So, go ahead. Share your ideas. I'm very interested in seeing them.

_KoBe_
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU

Re: What new track environments would you like to see?

Post by _KoBe_ » 23 Sep 2007 10:54

I think TM Street would be nice :lovetm

Dec
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF

Post by Dec » 23 Sep 2007 10:57

Well, I wonder how far are they with their development of TM Highways.

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 23 Sep 2007 11:16

Hmm, I've had these ideas before:

- Jungle: Trees and plants would be on the map by default, and you can build all kinds of narrow dirt or tarmac roads through it, with wooden ramps, maybe small loops, rivers which slow you down, and huts and such as scenery. Elevated track could be wooden, like Snow but more natural looking. Not sure about the car, it should be something that handles well on both dirt and tarmac, but isn't too fast and has a high suspension to take the bumps.

- Industrial: Old, rusty industrial area with long stretches of road, which can have obstacles / jumps in them, pipes all around, high buildings, tunnels through buildings, narrow alleys between buildings, small elevated paths, dark ambience etc.
Kind of like the scenery of the Zone Industrielle track of NFS:PU. (Zone Industrielle screenshots: 1 2 3 4 5)
Car could be a ricer car, like the street racing in newer versions of NFS. Physics could be like Island but slower - it can drift, but it will cost speed and normal steering will usually be faster.

- Circuit: A bit like Coast GP blocks, but more. The whole block tree should be filled with all kinds of circuit turns, uphill and downhill stuff, tunnels (like Monaco) and some circuit scenery like pits or grandstands or gravel pits. Physics could be somewhat like Coast, but 2x as fast, and with better handling and more realistic sliding out (in Coast you always slide out in the same way, in F1 you also see people spin, etc.) Sliding should also be correctable because of high-grip tires, but not too much of course.
Should of course also have offroad and gravel checkpoints because it's TM ;)
This one may sound a bit un-TM-like, but with the arcade physics it'll be fun and not like a racing simulator anyway I think. You could argue that the lack of loops and stunts is un-TM-like, but Rally also doesn't have any of that and no one complains about that :P

Well, those were my ideas, i have probably posted them before somewhere but whatever.

I like the Cruise idea, too ^^

I once posted this against a highways env when the TM Highways thing was discovered:
For themes, i don't really see how highways could be interesting as they're generally wide and straight and boring to drive on and not used for racing. I've played know racing games that are highway based (A2 Racer series, Cobra 11 - Nitro, Test Drive Unlimited has a lot of highway driving, and others) but they rely on regular traffic to be challenging.
But i guess the way you describe it, that wouldn't be too much of a problem, although it sounds a lot like Island to me ^^

Also, there are all kinds of highways, the German Autobahn, those US highways full of hills through the desert, many-lane city highways in a metropolis, mountainous highways in the Alps full of snow, etc.

- Cave: Another thing I just thought of was a cave environment, you just get a solid block of rock or something to carve a track out of, you could have solid rock, slippery wet rock, ice, dirt, gravel and all kinds of other surfaces to drive on, or maybe just tarmac too. Narrow roads in here, rocks in the way in places, turns where you can't see the other side because of the walls, or open spaces, maybe even with an underground lake in them. Could be fun. No idea what kind of physics it should have ^^

Bluhman
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by Bluhman » 23 Sep 2007 18:06

Zooz wrote: - Cave: Another thing I just thought of was a cave environment, you just get a solid block of rock or something to carve a track out of, you could have solid rock, slippery wet rock, ice, dirt, gravel and all kinds of other surfaces to drive on, or maybe just tarmac too. Narrow roads in here, rocks in the way in places, turns where you can't see the other side because of the walls, or open spaces, maybe even with an underground lake in them. Could be fun. No idea what kind of physics it should have ^^
Yeah, I actually was thinking of that as well! The vehicle for this would, in my opinion, be best put as a pickup truck; a slightly more sporty, longer and flatter looking one than the one in alpine. A medium acceleration rate and speed, coupled with slightly above average traction.

Industrial also sounds really nice.... Probably because I want to make a Silent Hill track. :twisted:

And now, another really weird Idea:

Gravity

Gravity would take place in a... Very abstract track. A very digital-styled, technological, glowing cube with tracks running all about it. Think Tron. Instead of Day, Sunset, Sunrise, and Night moods, it would have different colors, such as Blue, Green, Red, and Yellow, to replace that.

Vehicle would be something out of a concept car book. Very streamlined, smooth, and exotic looking. Some fine stats all around.

The main gimmick of this environment, obviously, would be gravity, and its changes. See, the car, at points, will pass through designated rings, which changes its gravitational pull into another direction, depending on the marking on the gravity ring. For example, the car goes into a loop, turning it upside down. However, before the loop is done, the car passes through a gravity ring, changing what used to be down into up, and vice versa, allowing the car to continue driving straight on as if nothing happened. In the editor, the camera can be rotated in such ways to change the angle of view, so that blocks can be placed sideways and upside down.

Mac Matrix
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMN and TMU. :)

Post by Mac Matrix » 23 Sep 2007 21:07

Bluhman wrote:
Gravity

Gravity would take place in a... Very abstract track. A very digital-styled, technological, glowing cube with tracks running all about it. Think Tron. Instead of Day, Sunset, Sunrise, and Night moods, it would have different colors, such as Blue, Green, Red, and Yellow, to replace that.

Vehicle would be something out of a concept car book. Very streamlined, smooth, and exotic looking. Some fine stats all around.

The main gimmick of this environment, obviously, would be gravity, and its changes. See, the car, at points, will pass through designated rings, which changes its gravitational pull into another direction, depending on the marking on the gravity ring. For example, the car goes into a loop, turning it upside down. However, before the loop is done, the car passes through a gravity ring, changing what used to be down into up, and vice versa, allowing the car to continue driving straight on as if nothing happened. In the editor, the camera can be rotated in such ways to change the angle of view, so that blocks can be placed sideways and upside down.
Kinda like F-zero / wipeout then? : )
System Specs

AMD Phenon 9950 @ 2.85 Ghz
4GB Kingston DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte GA-M750SLI-DS4 mobo
250GB SATA HDD
Gigabyte GTX275 Super Overclock Edition
Logic 3 USB Rumble Pad
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit

Mac Matrix: Author of the TMN Neon Craze

Trackmaniack
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: All

Post by Trackmaniack » 24 Sep 2007 17:26

Bluhman wrote:If Nadeo were to develop another version of Trackmania, what new environments would you like to see as those said environments?

Here's what I'd definitely want to see. Not probable, but you can always hope. :lovetm :

Rush
This takes place in a large, bustling city (maybe like Tokyo). The track would, most realistically, be positioned above a standard set of roads below, with the track directly attached and provided support by surrounding buildings (or simply supports put on the ground below). There'd probably be no sort of natural landscape nearby; nothing but long stretches of urban construction.

The car would be a small sportscar, with a rather high maximum speed (lower than the F-1 racer in TMN, but very close), VERY fast acceleration, and a fair amount of traction.

The track would probably be a bit narrower than usual, and obstacles would be prevalent in them. The best way to get around corners would probably most likely be drifting, but could probably be taken at higher speeds if the turns were looser.

Safari
As made somewhat clear by its title, Safari would take place on the vast, rolling plains of Kenya. Dirt path, wooden loops and support structures, and maybe a few small huts here and there.

The vehicle would be a rugged SUV. Has a good maximum speed, but slow acceleration and rather poor turning. However, its main claim to fame is its aerial control. That said, the SUV would easily be able to get off its top if it tips over by shifting its weight back and forth to flip over.

This track type, as strange as it may seem, should focus on aerial mastery. Long jumps, halfpipe transitions, loops, and ramps abound. The track edges would have small barriers, which would discourage riding over them, but if need be, the SUV could power right over it if needed. Traction on the dirt paths and grass are about equal, meaning there would be a very high probability of encountering offroad sections of the track with no boundaries.

Highway
Highway, obviously, takes place on a long stretch of highway; maybe the German Autobahn? Long stretches of man made road weave around the natural, deciduous landscape. Buildings in this environment would probably be available, but not very expandable, nor used often.

Vehicle would be one of two things: A sleek convertible, with great speed and handling, but no aerial control whatsoever, or a Motorcycle, which would probably have pretty good stats all-around. (Then again, it's a motorcycle, and this is a game that has, until this, been predominantly composed of 4-wheeled vehicles).

Highway tracks would focus on nothing but flow. Wide road, Loose, banked turns and huge loops and corkscrews would be very common here. However, there are a few big obstacles that could potentially be faced by Racers: if the track happens to go onto an offroad section, the vehicles traction is going to suffer VERY badly, and driving offroad would also be very unsmooth and bumpy, potentially throwing you off your track and forcing you to correct your position. Another obstacle I thought up about; walls. Just huge walls in the way of the road at certain points in the track, forcing the driver to swerve to the way right, left, or center perfectly, or else smash straight into the wall.

Cruise
Cruise would take place in a classic-styled European city, maybe like London or Venice. Unlike Rush, though, it'd take place directly on the road, as opposed to a road positioned above the standard roads.

The Vehicle would be something of an older-styled Volkswagen. It's not a very swift vehicle, but it takes turns like nothing else. The car almost never slides, making it a charm to control. Another Idea I had about it would be that it drives backwards as quickly as it drives fowards, and also accelerates at the same rate.

Because of this, to compensate for that weight taken off of the drivers shoulders, the roads would be filled with dangers. Pillars and Walls, Jumps, Tight turns, Ramps, possibly some roof-driving, just plain madness abound. The potentially easiest car to control; coupled with the potentially hardest tracks to drive in... :lol:

So, go ahead. Share your ideas. I'm very interested in seeing them.
What ideas? You already took all of mine! Grr....nah, I'm not mad. Those are some really good ideas, and I only have one more that could possibly be added:
-Boost
Boost would be sort of a future-TM sort of thing...all the cars being like hovercars. The environment itself would be something like Bay in TMS, an urban environment with tight cornering and a quick feel to it. The cars would have a feel to them that would be similar to a cross between the Bay and Island cars: very fast, but also very responsive.
Cruisin' through life, TM-Style!

EntropicLqd
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN, TMU

Post by EntropicLqd » 24 Sep 2007 20:19

It would be nice to have a motorbike environment - maybe two. One dirt-track style for all the crazy stunts and the other more like coast or island - with proper road handling.

I like the idea of a really abstract tron-like environment as long as it was still possible to judge distances and the colours weren't too "neon".

How about a small stunt-plane type environment? Get through rings, pipes, gratings, and all sorts of mad stuff to finish the track. Probably not very TM but it might be fun.

I'm not that keen on a low-grav environment I don't think. If it was too fast you'd spend so much time in the air that it would be untrue. A (relatively) slow "moon buggy" environment might be fun although it might feel too much like a "dune buggy" with low grav. to really work well.

totoso
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU TMN

Post by totoso » 25 Sep 2007 21:42

I would like to see changeble car control over all environments.. Track author could choose which type of car control he likes to use in his track..
It could bring more space to each environment. Opposite to Uniteds limits..For example if you like Coast environment and dont like the car control, its totally useless and never played....Changeble car control would give chance to everyone..
Also possibility to put wet spots, oily spots manually over the road would be cool..
If there would be some kind of full dirt environment, I would like to see more control and not so slippery touch..
Some block ideas: Many different shaped loops, twisted upside down roads for fast environments, boosts in wallrides, different shaped wallrides, more freedom to create different shaped roads..

I hope Nadeo will bring up more creativity and lots of different sides and options to Highways. It would keep it more alive.. :) And I hope they will keep Stadium's car control as basic control, I love it :D
Last edited by totoso on 25 Sep 2007 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 25 Sep 2007 21:59

Nah, then everyone would use the speediest, driftiest, most boring controls. That's not the point, if you can't drive Coast, learn it :P

It would also complicate things for competitions, and complicate things in general, while simplicity is a strong point of TM.

Bluhman
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by Bluhman » 26 Sep 2007 02:47

Zooz wrote:Nah, then everyone would use the speediest, driftiest, most boring controls. That's not the point, if you can't drive Coast, learn it :P

It would also complicate things for competitions, and complicate things in general, while simplicity is a strong point of TM.

Yeah. TM is about the tracks. Not the cars. All cars are the same because of balance reasons in multiplayer races, as using such a car that Zooz stated would put some racers way ahead of the competition. Another thing about it is that it would... sorta ruin the fit of the car to the track. I don't mean anything thematically, I mean physically. The Pickup from the Alpine level would not be able to handle the big loops and far jumps of the Island track, just as the Island car would probably have a REALLY hard time with the Alpine tracks... Then again, I never played either of those games, so who am I to talk?

Besides, being able to choose different cars with different stats would ruin Push-Forward tracks like this.

(Does anybody have that track anyway? I'd really like to have it... :P )

Herrick
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TM-forum warrior.

Post by Herrick » 26 Sep 2007 09:03

Zooz wrote:Physics could be like Island but slower - it can drift, but it will cost speed and normal steering will usually be faster.
So in fact it would be exactly like island but slower and island isn't that fast anyway.

A jungle or American forest style environment would be great, dusty old dirt/mud roads shallow lakes to race over and various hazards that make driving in a straight line pretty hard. So you'd have to be constantly on the look out for hazards and correcting your car's path on the track. Bay style handling but looser would work well here I think.
The Demons man, the Demons!

Don't like my posts? Feel free to not send me multiple PMs.

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 26 Sep 2007 11:16

Herrick wrote:
Zooz wrote:Physics could be like Island but slower - it can drift, but it will cost speed and normal steering will usually be faster.
So in fact it would be exactly like island but slower and island isn't that fast anyway.
Island not that fast? Are you confusing Island and Coast again? :P

Herrick
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TM-forum warrior.

Post by Herrick » 26 Sep 2007 11:24

Snow probably has the best sensation of speed really.
The Demons man, the Demons!

Don't like my posts? Feel free to not send me multiple PMs.

totoso
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU TMN

Post by totoso » 26 Sep 2007 13:22

Yeah. TM is about the tracks. Not the cars. All cars are the same because of balance reasons in multiplayer races, as using such a car that Zooz stated would put some racers way ahead of the competition. Another thing about it is that it would... sorta ruin the fit of the car to the track. I don't mean anything thematically, I mean physically. The Pickup from the Alpine level would not be able to handle the big loops and far jumps of the Island track, just as the Island car would probably have a REALLY hard time with the Alpine tracks...
But what I meant was that track author could lock which type of control/car the track environment would use. So everyone would drive for example in city environment with stadiums cars for fair competition. And there is that you could build your track to suit your needs. Its not about complete change, its just ability to drive your favourite cars in every environment if you like to do so. So you could also build 'Coast car for Coast' tracks if you like it, but you could also build tracks where you can drive with Stadium car in Coast environment.
So every environment would have more freedom to create all kinds of different aspects. Its nothing else than if you dont like stadium environment, you could choose different looking environment where to drive with your car. Or if you love coast car, you could make Coast tracks in Bay environment. Its just different blocks and different looking backgrounds, nothing else changes..
And also, if Islands car dont fit into Coast environment, why to put such a control and speed there? Track author can allways change it to suit his needs and use common sense when building a track and locking up the control which he wants to use in his track.