Sell TMO, TMSX and TMN on STEAM please!

General discussion about all the Trackmania series.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

joachimeberhard
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN, TMU

Sell TMO, TMSX and TMN on STEAM please!

Post by joachimeberhard » 06 Jan 2008 13:30

Dear Nadeo,

I have bought TM, TMS and TMN all original when they came out, but I always hated that StarForce protection that I would have never accepted with any other games than yours.

But then I got a new PC with Windows Vista and had to find out that I couldn't play my TM: Power Up solely for copyprotection issues.

On the other hand, I am overly happy with my TMU bought on Steam which just works like a charm without that nasty StarForce.

Now, I really really want to play again your first classics, which I fell in love with again on my new PC.

Please SELL them on Steam, I would buy them all and you even get paid again for those games from me to be able to play them without StarForce, and in one case, to be able to play it at all!

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TM,TMS,TMUF,TMDS,TMT
Manialink(s): zooz

Re: Sell TMO, TMSX and TMN on STEAM please!

Post by Zooz » 06 Jan 2008 13:36

Starforce is not nasty, and for TMO and TMSX they'd probably have to make big modifications if they wanted to remove Steam, and leave the game open to hacking. Besides, those games are basically dead and they probably won't be supported (online play) for that long any more. TMN is free, so there's no point in being able to buy it on Steam, and it will lose Starforce anyway with the TMN Forever update.

joachimeberhard
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by joachimeberhard » 06 Jan 2008 13:50

Well, first of all I bought TMN in fact retail, even after I downloaded it for free.

Second, you imply here that Nadeo kills off games that are maybe three years old, and by doing so, you imply that all further games of Nadeo will be killed of too, even that TMU I bought on Steam.

Third, why shouldn't I consider StarForce as crap, if it is the SOLE reason I cannot play a game I payed for?

Last but not least, why not make more money????

Racemaniac
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: all
Manialink(s): racemaniac

Post by Racemaniac » 06 Jan 2008 13:59

frankly, what's the use of still selling tmo and tms when tmu is there? it's not as if something is lost by no longer selling them...
as much as the trackmanias may rule, carmageddon 1 & 2 are still the best games ever :D

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 06 Jan 2008 14:14

Ever heard of TMU and TMN Forever? That's a free expansion coming out in a few months, and it implies that those games will be supported forever, or at least for quite a long time. Unlike TMO and TMS, which have little point any more now that there's TMU which contains almost everything that used to be in them. That's probably why almost nobody plays them any more too.

joachimeberhard
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by joachimeberhard » 06 Jan 2008 14:30

Racemaniac wrote:frankly, what's the use of still selling tmo and tms when tmu is there? it's not as if something is lost by no longer selling them...
The reasons PRO TMO, TMS and TMN are:

1) The tracks
2) The music
3) The memories

I must add, I was quite disappointed of TMU because it didn't include ALL that was present in the older games, just the environments.
If it included ALL that was present in the old games, it would indeed be no loss.

But that is not the case, so you see my point?

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 06 Jan 2008 14:48

You can get the tracks on TMX.

joachimeberhard
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by joachimeberhard » 06 Jan 2008 15:00

Zooz wrote:You can get the tracks on TMX.
Can you point me to a package that includes all the tracks of those 3 games, or a package for each game?

It's not much of a benefit on TMX if I have to hunt them down...

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 06 Jan 2008 15:57

You mean like this?
http://united.tm-exchange.com/main.aspx ... =0&id=1001

ok, it's a few packages, but at least it's easier than getting them all individually, you can choose more, and you can organize them better.

joachimeberhard
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by joachimeberhard » 06 Jan 2008 16:59

Thank you very much!

Now is there any of you in the position to suggest to Nadeo to include these tracks into the upcoming Forever patch?

Then this game could really last forever :D

Retodon8
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMU(F), TM2:C
Manialink(s): Retodon8

Post by Retodon8 » 07 Jan 2008 02:56

About the music; you can copy the files from the older games and put it in the TMU folder... or rather the correct subfolders.
joachimeberhard wrote:Now is there any of you in the position to suggest to Nadeo to include these tracks into the upcoming Forever patch?
It would be nice to have official download packs... or with the tiny filesize, like you said, have them included with Forever, of all the original tracks.
Of course not all tracks may work due to engine (the game engine) changes.
Яєזσםση8
ImageImage

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 07 Jan 2008 12:30

I think they just used new tracks to prevent the "lol they used old stuff, TMU is just tmo+tms+tmn" thing. And I don't think they want to add too many official tracks to the game otherwise players will never get through them all and it would take even more work to get anywhere in the solo leaderboard. Or maybe they didn't like the old ones any more. Or maybe they thought including the old ones might give veterans an advantage. Or maybe they didn't include them because they don't use the new blocks.

I doubt old tracks will break (other than PF tracks, which Nadeo never made), they have always been pretty good with keeping backwards compatibility. You can still play TM beta tracks from 2003 in TMU as far as I know.

hpbifta
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by hpbifta » 07 Jan 2008 17:37

joachimeberhard wrote:Well, first of all I bought TMN in fact retail, even after I downloaded it for free.
I`m more concerned by this statement than anything. Who SOLD you TMN? It`s a free product so isn`t that some form of distribution breach from which someones making illegal profit?

Secondly WHY on earth did you pay money for something that you had already downloaded for nothing?

Otherwise I generally agree with Zooz, once you have downloaded the original map-packs from the older games and copied across the old music from the installs theres not a lot left from the old games thats missing in TMU except a couple of game-modes that over-all weren`t that popular. (Survival mode from PU and Crazy mode from TMS). Considering that we know neither of these are to be seen again they seem the only reason for ever playing them again, and I don`t think thats enough reason to buy them.

There isn`t any real point in playing them on-line as the TMS and TMO scenes are just about dead, The last time I looked on TMS there were about 12 people playing at 9 o`clock at night across 4 servers, which is a long way from the hey-day of hundreds of peeps across 150 servers.

But otherwise be assured that TMU and TMN have been stated as being the Base engines for TM for many Years to come, as Zooz says above and Florent (The development Director at Nadeo ) did in my TMX interview - The Forever update coming soon is so named and being built in order to create a game which you will be able to come back to and play Forever. Which suggests that they have plans to support it for more than a few years.
Last edited by hpbifta on 07 Jan 2008 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 07 Jan 2008 17:41

hpbifta wrote:
joachimeberhard wrote:Well, first of all I bought TMN in fact retail, even after I downloaded it for free.
I`m more concerned by this statement than anything. Who SOLD you TMN? It`s a free product so isn`t that some form of distribution breach and someones making illegal profit from it.
I think there are versions of TMN with an authentification key being sold, and they're official as far as I know. There was one of those in Germany anyway, they probably did it in other areas later too. There were also bundles of TMN + TMO and TMN + TMS being sold. Never seen any of these in a store personally though, so maybe the people who posted pictures of them lied :P

guigr
highway camper
highway camper

Post by guigr » 07 Jan 2008 18:42

Zooz wrote:You mean like this?
http://united.tm-exchange.com/main.aspx ... =0&id=1001

ok, it's a few packages, but at least it's easier than getting them all individually, you can choose more, and you can organize them better.
For those who don't know, you can do official times by adding manually the tracks you like to the solo mode. It brings back good memories of when i discovered TMN :)
But it still costs 10 coppers. :(