only 16 people allowed in friendslist ?!

General discussion about all the Trackmania series.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

TStarGermany
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMN,TMNF,TMUF
Manialink(s): creative

only 16 people allowed in friendslist ?!

Post by TStarGermany » 20 Apr 2008 22:16

hi there...
i was updating my friendslist and suddenly i got a popup saying

ATTENTION !

YOU HAVE TOO MANY FRIENDS ! You should only have a maximum of 16 friends ..
if you don't manage your list soon, the newest ones will be removed automatically.
!..?!!..!!!
how can i now put my 150+ old tmn friends into my new friendslist?!?!
and who tf does tm think it is, to tell me that i have got too many friends ??????
Last edited by TStarGermany on 20 Apr 2008 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

v000nix
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMUF
Manialink(s): v000nix, TManiacs

Re: only 16 people allowed in friendslist ?!

Post by v000nix » 20 Apr 2008 22:21

That's a Feature for TMUF now...There you can put 64 Ppl on your Friendslist (Or more, didn't checked it out yet). In Nations Forever the Number of Friends is limited to 16 :?

TStarGermany
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by TStarGermany » 20 Apr 2008 22:22

what? WHAT????

oh dear, right at this moment i can feel my stomach rumble, that only happens if someone insulted me badly :x

having a free friendslist is one of the main reasons, maybe -the- main reason why i play this game. taking that away from tmn is ... i'm out of words.

(and hopefully that 64 limitation of tmu isn't true either, because that's not even half of what i would want)

Herrick
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TM-forum warrior.

Post by Herrick » 21 Apr 2008 00:24

That's really quite a stupid addition Nadeo have implemented if true, considering they keep rambling on about the community this seems like a total U-turn. I'd like to know their reasoning for this.
The Demons man, the Demons!

Don't like my posts? Feel free to not send me multiple PMs.

psycho_dmr
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMU

Post by psycho_dmr » 21 Apr 2008 09:10

150 friends? maybe one of hundred ppl have really 150+ friends in their lists... so why nadeo should keep his DB so big? (if the 64 limitation in TMU is true.. i dont know)

and for 16 in TMN ... Buy TMU and stop crying :roll:
(and read my post in the german forum..)

BLaHiTiS
lord of the roads
lord of the roads
Owned TM-games: tmu tmo tms tmn
Manialink(s): muxitis

Post by BLaHiTiS » 21 Apr 2008 09:22

every bidirectional solution like this has limits, msn has limits too, this is to preserve server cpu and hd space (because these kinds of things are stored to the server).

• MB:Asus P8 H61
  • CPU:Intel i5 2400
  • RAM:8 Gb
  • GFX:Asus GTX-580 (1500mb DDR5) - Forceware 75.33
  • DirectX: June 2011
  • SND:Realtek HD on mobo
[/size]

RdV
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU

Post by RdV » 21 Apr 2008 12:54

Well.. I understand the why you did it.. But I don't think personally that 16 is the best number to use as a max. limit. For example I drive in a clan that has 16+ members, spread all over the globe (minipeace). So this means I miss some players in my buddy and that ain't no good. Can't you up the limit to let's say 40/50 max? Then at leasy you have your own clan as a whole in your buddy list
(I have TMU so no prob. here, but I can understand the fuzz about it)

Slig
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: ALL

Post by Slig » 21 Apr 2008 14:02

RdV wrote:Well.. I understand the why you did it.. But I don't think personally that 16 is the best number to use as a max. limit. For example I drive in a clan that has 16+ members, spread all over the globe (minipeace). So this means I miss some players in my buddy and that ain't no good. Can't you up the limit to let's say 40/50 max? Then at leasy you have your own clan as a whole in your buddy list
Players who are regular players can also just buy their account conversion if they really want more features, 30€ is not so much for a hundred hours hobby, is it ? ;)

TStarGermany
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by TStarGermany » 21 Apr 2008 14:13

Blahitis: i'm glad there is someone who can give some reasonable argument for that, thank you.
(I just came from the german forum and had to read a lot of very narrow minded stuff :ß)

From my point of view : the problem with 16 or even 64 slots:

During my time in TM, I met countless people and whenever I thought, I'd want to meet these people again, I took them into my friendslist (besides all the other people, who I meet on a regular basis).
Therefor my friendslist was pretty large, understandable i think, because lots of the people i got to know don't reside on a single server. They roam around the globe a lot, just as myself... and the friendslist is pretty much the only opportunity to "get a grip" of them, telling me when they're online and where they are, so I can join them.

With this restriction to 16/64 slots, I'm pretty much helpless. I still can join a "favorite server", but when it comes to finding my global buddies online, the people I want to drive with, ... I'm shot. I simply don't know how to resolve this problem.

--
I'd rather prefer an unlimited list,only stored on my local harddrive (only doing queries to get the necessary information), than a server sided list which leaves me completely locked out. I'm unable to perform the "selection of friends", which the program asks of me.

Don't get my post as "griping", but as a pretty serious inquiry for help.

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 21 Apr 2008 15:14

I had about 250 people in my TMU list, my TMUF one of 64 is almost full already and I haven't even added anyone myself... It's too restrictive.

RdV
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU

Post by RdV » 21 Apr 2008 15:23

Slig wrote:
RdV wrote:Well.. I understand the why you did it.. But I don't think personally that 16 is the best number to use as a max. limit. For example I drive in a clan that has 16+ members, spread all over the globe (minipeace). So this means I miss some players in my buddy and that ain't no good. Can't you up the limit to let's say 40/50 max? Then at leasy you have your own clan as a whole in your buddy list
Players who are regular players can also just buy their account conversion if they really want more features, 30€ is not so much for a hundred hours hobby, is it ? ;)

I agree on the last sentence yes =)
But in addition to zooz.. I also think that 64 players is too restrictive.. Isn't there a way around like Tstar suggested so the buddy list ain't restricted because of server load?

MNM
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMO TMS

Post by MNM » 21 Apr 2008 16:18

For a game based on the great Community a mximum ammount of friends is very bad...
But ofcourse i understand that this consumes alot of HD space but there must be a way around that

pwf
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMN TMU TMO

Post by pwf » 21 Apr 2008 21:43

This limit is lame -.-
I have TMU, but I only use TMNF.
Thats for a simple reason...when I bought TMU my key was already used :S
So after almost a year I contacted nadeo and asked why I could make an account. THey said my key was used and after showing my key etc.. they gave me his account :S So now I have an account on TMU called metalyan666 what is a pretty stupid name :x And Im quite known under the name NLpwf (clanleader/trackbuilder/server). I asked nadeo if they could change the login for me but they said ''no'' :?
But now I only can have 16 buddys...and that not quite usefull :S
I have TMN/TMU/new TMF/TMX buddys...

So Im personnally against this limit...
Who am I ? 0,o

Tom.CZ.73
speed demon
speed demon
Owned TM-games: all PC versions
Manialink(s): Tom.CZ.73, sQs

Post by Tom.CZ.73 » 21 Apr 2008 22:22

@pwf You have TMuf acc so you limit is 64 not 16

btw somebody posted here info where was clearly written that you can ask nadeo to reset (=chance to create new acc) you acc if you want to sell you game. So it seems that you can get rid of you current ligin. Unfortunately i cann't find that thread now :?

Slig
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: ALL

Post by Slig » 21 Apr 2008 23:23

RdV wrote:But in addition to zooz.. I also think that 64 players is too restrictive.. Isn't there a way around like Tstar suggested so the buddy list ain't restricted because of server load?
I agree, 64 is really too restrictive, 128 would be far better, and about 200 would be great.