TMX is up and running at 100%, see you over there!

General discussion about all the Trackmania series.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Re: TMX might be back by the end of the week (05-05/11-05)

Post by Zooz » 06 May 2008 19:34

The Doctor wrote:It sounds like grounds for a breach of contract lawsuit to me.
They're UK-based i think, not US-based :roflol:

Assembler Maniac
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by Assembler Maniac » 06 May 2008 20:21

Zooz wrote:
The Doctor wrote:It sounds like grounds for a breach of contract lawsuit to me.
They're UK-based i think, not US-based :roflol:
For things like this, a contract is a binding agreement that both sides must obey. The hoster contracted to provide server of X amount of bandwidth monthly, for Y amount of $$$$ (or euros). There should also be some stipulations about how/when they can affect that service. I seriously doubt there is a clause that states "we reserve the right to kill your host if we feel like it".

For a major company to "panic" and kill the server just because it looks like it *might* be using more bandwidth is just plain unacceptable.

Here's a comical thought: "Oh damn, Mad Dog Comics is using a lot of electricity at their printing site. We better cut them off so they don't go over their quota."

And the way it should have played out: "Oh damn, Mad Dog Comics is using a lot of electricity, bump up their rate about 10% and make sure their well supplied, we'll make some extra money out of it."

MrA
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: ALL

Post by MrA » 06 May 2008 21:04

There seems to be some rummour and miss-information about, so I will clear this up...

The host (US based) did not panic, they just have no intention to provide the service they advertise, or in fact anything much like it.

Our package had a monthly transfer limit in GB, but before we are anywhere close to that limit, even on their measurements and not our own, they have thrown the usage limit out of the window and stated that it no longer applies for us due to us generating a high level of 'moment by moment usage'

So to fix the problem, they asked for extra money per month to have a dedicated bandwidth. Lets say it wasnt a small ammount either, we are talking about additional hundreds of dollars each month...

When they made this request we disputed it and after a couple of days or so they simply blocked the port to our site and told us it wont be re-opended until we pay up or reduce our usage. So that is why the site is closed, we are simply waiting to get away from them as we refuse to pay what they ask even for 1 month.

Pretty much all hosts say in the small print that they can shut you down if you are in breach of various things, but in this case we do feel the host is way out of line.

Obviously we diddnt help this whole thing by doing the sign pack launch at the same time as Nations Forever came out, as the combined spikes generated by this activity would be much higher than what we can usually expect, but even so, there no is accounting for what they did to us.

Moving forward, we have had in depth discussions with our new proposed host about exactly what kind of connection we will get with our new server and how much of it we can use. So we really hope it should be OK this time.
Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core QX6700, 2.66GHz
4GB (4x1Gb) 1066MHz Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2 Dominator
640MB XFX 8800GTS Extreme XXX
Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Vista Home Premium 32Bit

pobmaestro
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMUF, TMWii

Post by pobmaestro » 06 May 2008 21:27

Damn thats silly political stuff you guys have to deal with. But as you know we all love you for the great work you do for the community :pil

Many thanks TMX crew :lovetm

ORA
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by ORA » 07 May 2008 07:52

Need help ?
Can you just add back the paypal buttom :sweet: can be nice if some users can help you with a lil monney
an old TM lover and ex TMX Moderator/tracker

KiWiNiNjA
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by KiWiNiNjA » 07 May 2008 10:57

Looks like I am going to be getting myself a paypal account :)

DFA Obie
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU & TMN

Post by DFA Obie » 07 May 2008 11:08

Would be a good idea im sure quite a few ppl would like to contribute to a smooth running site :thumbsup:

Rafracer
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN

Post by Rafracer » 07 May 2008 14:31

Well, I can honestly say I'll bring up the patience to wait.
You guys have done so much for the Trackmania community. You have created a place where fellow Trackmaniacs can share their tracks, respond to other's tracks, and talk to each other. Don't let yourself get bullied by such a company, who thinks they can earn a few dollars extra by putting pressure on a well-known website which the creators can't let be taken offline... but I think you can. Find yourself a new host (one that sticks to its avertising features this time), and if that takes some time, so be it. All the TMX-using Trackmaniacs, including myself, will have the patience to wait. It's the least we can do in return for the great, great exchange website you've given us.

The above message did not actually exist, and you just wasted a minute of your life reading a fabrication of your mind.

Assembler Maniac
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Assembler Maniac » 07 May 2008 16:32

Thanks for the rundown MrA.

Even if they didn't panic, they still acted very badly.

Paying for even one month (with paypal donations) would only reinforce their flawed actions. I think MrA would like to completely separate TMX from them as quickly as possible, so paying anything more to them would be a bad idea all 'round.

Good luck with the transfer MrA, we're all looking forward to having TMX available again.

breach
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMUF/TMNF

Post by breach » 07 May 2008 21:59

I agree with what AssemblerManiac just said. Take your money and seek elsewhere. Sometimes the fineprinted parts in contracts and agreements can be dodgy.

Oh! And i vote for a paypal button :D or even: I visit TMX allmost everyday ... for free! Maybe you could figure out a way to set up someting like a "premium" account on TMX, for a monthly fee perhaps?
Heaps of the TMX users may not be able to pay anything due to young age or whatever. But i guess there are ppl who would be able to pay a small/resenable fee. i dont know? Call it supportmemberships or something... put a little goldstar next to the names (lol)... i would gladly pay... :) with or without the goldstar

TMX FTW!

Boumsong
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Post by Boumsong » 08 May 2008 07:51

There are already many donators to tmx. You DO get a couple of bonuses, including the green words under your name in the forums (like the mods have). :pil

Bramble
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Bramble » 08 May 2008 08:15

Yes, TMX donators can be seen in the forums by looking at names with a line of green text underneath. There used to be a donate button, and unless the new TMNF site got rid of it, it should still be there, atleast on the TMU versiona anyway.

Anyway, hopefully everything will be back in business soon :1

TrabTowN
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMS,tmn,TMU

Post by TrabTowN » 08 May 2008 09:25

MrA wrote:.,.......
F**K me what a bunch of W.

...me is glad to have a small but very good provider
100²% addicted

BLaHiTiS
lord of the roads
lord of the roads
Owned TM-games: tmu tmo tms tmn
Manialink(s): muxitis

Post by BLaHiTiS » 08 May 2008 11:52

Talking about corporate molars from hell.

I once rented a dedicated server by a dutch company that had a boss who treated me like his corporate neighbour from hell who also has to follow burocratic rules (I think his first diapers were contracts)

I had to pay 8 months of colocation space because I've wanted to close my crontract prematurely cause interconnectivity to their host was crap and I wanted to leave after 4 months. I clearly stated at that time that I wanted my server moved from one rack to another.

This guy was a plain bully, always stating that when i sign a contract I have to agree to the terms this and that, and that i should go to court if I think the connection was bad.

I told him, damn what are you doing, I'm not a big company that you loose much money over if it would leave. Nor do i have the money to do this corporate dance you like to do. What do you think I'll put in this rackspace, my lunchbox ?

He just went on about how contracts have to be followed ...

What an idiot. I dont say this much to people but if they just act like this.. this tmx thing just makes me remember that kind of stuff, from people who bully others around in this manner.

This is one of my majour annoyances.

• MB:Asus P8 H61
  • CPU:Intel i5 2400
  • RAM:8 Gb
  • GFX:Asus GTX-580 (1500mb DDR5) - Forceware 75.33
  • DirectX: June 2011
  • SND:Realtek HD on mobo
[/size]

PallePingvin
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMN, TMU, TM2

Post by PallePingvin » 08 May 2008 14:45

what happened then? did you have to pay :evil: