My Idea for a new kind of site

General discussion about all the Trackmania series.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

N3D
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMUF, TMN, TMNF

My Idea for a new kind of site

Post by N3D » 14 May 2008 18:10

We had TMX, we had TM-Carpark, we had Tm-creative, can there be any more trackmania sites? YES. This is my idea:
I'm kinda good at php, so it was my idea to make a site: TMA(Trackmania Arena). This is how it works:

MAIN IDEA:
-People register and get like 1000 challenge points
-People can post all kind of challenges in trackmania, like doing a stunt, or driving a specific time on a track: backwards. They can give a part of their points for the one who does it first.
-There are also some special records people can beat to get points, these aren't usermade, the records can be things like fastest backwards speed, or most loops in a row without anything between the loops
-People can also post some tracks that are very difficult, and give points for people who complete that
-Maybe I also add competitions like skinning competitions and screenshot competitions

POINTS SYSTEM:
-There are 2 kinds of points: Challenge Points and Creator Points
-Challenge Points are the points you earn by completing a challenge someone made
-Challengers won't get points until their replay is confirmed
-Creator Points are the points the people get who make the challenges, they get them by posting challenges, I'll make some kinda formula for this that involves number of downloads and amount of people who completed it etc.
-Creators have to set a part of their challenge points as reward of completing their challenge
-For that you have 2 types of challenges:

1.Time Limit challenge, this will last for a specified time, the amount of points the author provided will be shared by everyone who completed the challenge within that time
2.First Completion, the person who finishes this challenge first will get all points

RULES I'LL APPLY ON SITE:
-same rules for multi-accounts as tmx has
-replays that haven't been confirmed or disconfirmed by authors for 2 weeks will be automaticly confirmed

Now I need to know somethings: is this a good idea? and: do you see any flaws in my masterplan? or do you know things that could be added?

Hope you understand my idea :P If not: ask

BTW: if you want to help me by being a moderator or scripter-help, maybe you can make a beautiful layout? Always welcome!, I'd appreciate it
Last edited by N3D on 17 May 2008 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

MuLoO
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO / TMU-F
Manialink(s): muloo

Re: My Idea for a new kind of site

Post by MuLoO » 14 May 2008 18:38

i am finding this a great idea
i don't see any flaws
sorry i am not a coder or a mod

MAKE IT ! lots of people will be happy to compete like that
Click the image to join The Power System server
Imagecolor>
Sponsored by Playfaster.net

Xfire: muloo
Burn rubber, not your soul !

N3D
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by N3D » 14 May 2008 18:44

That's already a good first reaction :D, probably will take a summer of scripting to complete though, so it won't be online too soon.

crooms
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMUF

Post by crooms » 14 May 2008 19:24

Most of the times i see a thread with this title i think oh no, here is another stupid post.

Not this time. I really like the idea, if done properly it could be a lot of fun. It could be a good place for the less serious side of TM and even inspire people to make more 'challenge' maps such as platform, stunt and even lolmaps. Its a good original idea and good luck to you

smok3y
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMN + TMU + TMUF

Post by smok3y » 14 May 2008 20:08

Do.Od that's a good idea - i say go for it. It sounds fun and interesting to me :1

N3D
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by N3D » 14 May 2008 20:27

Ty all, this is already reason enough for me to at least set up a test server. I'll search a real server once it's completed, hope I can find something cheap or sponsored to start with, since I'm not some kind of rich guy :P

PallePingvin
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMN, TMU, TM2

Post by PallePingvin » 14 May 2008 20:46

what are you posting here for? go make a new site ;) NOW!

pwf
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMN TMU TMO

Post by pwf » 14 May 2008 22:05

Looks good,
but change the name though :p TMC=Trackmania Creative :P
Who am I ? 0,o

hpbifta
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by hpbifta » 14 May 2008 22:39

If you feel strongly enough about the idea in and of yourself and you have the skillset which enables you to do it then go for it and see what happens. It is the only the way you will ever know if the idea was a good one.

so have a go and all the best :1

N3D
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by N3D » 14 May 2008 22:40

Good you say that, any1 has suggestions for a shortname?

123speeder456
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN, TMU

Post by 123speeder456 » 15 May 2008 05:46

I suck at names. :P

The idea sounds very good; somewhat like the PlayPal system on TMX, only quite a bit more in-depth. One thing - instead of two different types of points, how about just one? You get points for beating challenges, and you give points for winning challenges. :mrgreen:

If you need any help, I know a bit of HTML and CSS. And I have an overactive imagination so you can bet I have a few good ideas for site layout. :sweet:
a.k.a. Sammon :)

N3D
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by N3D » 15 May 2008 13:11

Well, 2 kind of points is needed I think, because why would you create challenges if you just lose points with it? And if you could make/help with a nice layout it would be very nice :D, my layouts never turn out very nice.

Rafracer
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN

Post by Rafracer » 15 May 2008 17:43

It sounds like a terrible idea. Terribly good. If you can make it validating properly, it could turn out a true addition to the TM community! I'm affraid I don't know much about php-coding, though I know very much about HTML and CSS, and a bit about Javascript. Check out my website to see my skills (note that the banner might sometimes not load, for some reason (it's got the clock in it). Guess it's due to this forum). Yes, that roll-out menu is made purely with CSS. Only the link-redirecting is javascript.

But be seriously: 99% of the tracks on TMX is Race, and there's nothing wrong with that. But some more Platform, Stunt or Puzzle would certainly be great.

The above message did not actually exist, and you just wasted a minute of your life reading a fabrication of your mind.

Markus
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO/TMN/TMU
Manialink(s): XTZone (not finished)

Post by Markus » 15 May 2008 19:11

i`ve to say, i sounds realy like an awesome idea...and sure it is :wink:
love it, and i`m sure i`ll love it more if you could make it like you think :thumbsup:

about a shortname?
hmm...the idea sounds a bit like everyone could challenge all other, this reminds me a bit on my time in school (dark past lol)
in the past there was a thing called "circus" where gladiators fight against each other with the same crap future in front of their eyes....so how sounds TMA Trackmania Arena?
XTZone Server (30slots, only TMS evirs., various authors)
Xtreme Trackers Homepage

N3D
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by N3D » 15 May 2008 20:13

TMA, nice idea, if you think you have a better idea you can still post it though.
And if you want to help me send a mail or msn to:
teuneboon [-at-] watjewilt [-d0t-] nl