Starforce Copy-Protection??

General discussion about all the Trackmania series.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

burritoboj
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: TMNF, TMU, TMUF :)

Starforce Copy-Protection??

Post by burritoboj » 11 Mar 2009 10:52

After I recommended TrackMania to someone on a forum, somebody else posted a warning about Starforce Copy-protection.
Starforce is a software copy protection tool installed by PC game publishers, which is designed to prevent the casual copying of retail CDROM applications. It installs as a hidden device driver, without the end-user's knowledge or consent.

The Starforce drivers are often linked to system instability and computer crashes. If these problems occur, the end-user would be unware as to the cause of the problem, and would be helpless to solve the problem.

Source; http://www.glop.org/starforce/
Games using Starforce; http://tinyurl.com/5uxxth

I think the article was written some years ago but still..
Did anyone expirience any problems that could possibly be related to this story??
- BuRRiTo -

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Re: Starforce Copy-Protection??

Post by w1lla » 11 Mar 2009 10:54

Trackmania uses this but since Trackmania Forever Starforce is not included anymore.

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

Drake1009
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Drake1009 » 16 Mar 2009 06:32

Personally I still think it's funny how much flak Starforce is catching with stuff like that, considering one of the most used alternatives SecuROM buries deeper down into your system using something looking like rootkits, and dictates what you can and can't run on your computer alongside you playing the game.

But as said, since the forever update, Trackmania no longer uses Starforce or any other henious copy protection. Well done Nadeo

Generator
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMNF - TMUF
Manialink(s): Generator

Post by Generator » 16 Mar 2009 07:04

Thats Sony for ya!...

They were in the news a year or two ago for their 'anti-piracy' software sh*te installing virii from cd albums ffs! they re-called millions of albums because the autorun feature on interactive albums installed a virus on PC's with autorun enabled.

You cant call Nadeo for what happened in the past, we all make mistakes said the Dalek climbing off the dust-bin. :D :thumbsup:
Customize your virtual world to the max! >> http://www.virtualcustoms.net
3D Models, 2D skins & horns on my Manialink >> Generatorcolor>

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Post by Xymph » 16 Mar 2009 09:39

Drake1009 wrote:But as said, since the forever update, Trackmania no longer uses Starforce or any other henious copy protection. Well done Nadeo
The downside is of course that it became much easier to hack the game into producing cheated records on countless servers and in Dedimania. Win some, lose some. :(
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

Trackmaniack
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: All

Post by Trackmaniack » 16 Mar 2009 21:17

All I know is that I've never had any problems with Starforce whatsoever...it's just one more loading screen I've gotta sit through...
Cruisin' through life, TM-Style!

RavenZero
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMN & TMU

Post by RavenZero » 18 Mar 2009 08:57

Xymph wrote:
Drake1009 wrote:But as said, since the forever update, Trackmania no longer uses Starforce or any other henious copy protection. Well done Nadeo
The downside is of course that it became much easier to hack the game into producing cheated records on countless servers and in Dedimania. Win some, lose some. :(
Don't take me bad, but I can't see any win if you mean less whining coming from the 'oh starforce no!' guys...

I always liked the game like it was before... 0,001% hacks available when StarForce was enable even as lite version for TMU it frustrated a LOT of the crackers.

The game has now measures to block cheats by validating (simulating car moves) replays and changing the car start position a bit.

Great but two things:

1 - First all at, the major part of the servers admins don't know and don't search for such anti-hack measures. It should be easy to find & enable, maybe built-in the client?

2 - It doesn't NOT protect 3rd party plugins from being hacked. See dedimania, etc.

For who used to like the series with the SF protection, I could say we lost that round.

TM? One Hooray for the oldies!

And FFS for the SF whiners.