Ubisoft buys Nadeo

General discussion about all the Trackmania series.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

HM@love it
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU

Ubisoft buys Nadeo

Post by HM@love it » 05 Oct 2009 16:24

Ubisoft on Monday said it has "positioned itself in the multiplayer segment" with the acquisition of Paris-based developer Nadeo, developer of the popular online multiplayer racing game TrackMania.

"The acquisition of Nadeo is an important step in our expansion within the online gaming sector", said Yves Guillemot, CEO of Paris-based Ubisoft. "Through Nadeo, Ubisoft will gain an expert team, one of the best online technologies around as well as a flagship multiplayer game that enjoys an unrivalled reputation among a loyal and committed community."

He added, "We are excited about the idea of introducing TrackMania to an ever-wider audience and sharing the expertise of Nadeo's teams with our company's other developers." Ubisoft did not disclose the terms of the acquisition in a press release.

The acquisition of Nadeo is the second Ubisoft acquisition in the past several months in which the publisher was particularly interested in multiplayer technology. When Ubisoft announced the acquisition of World in Conflict developer Massive Entertainment, Guillemot said the buy would help Ubisoft get its foot into the MMO space. The publisher has yet to launch a major MMO.

According to Ubisoft, TrackMania developer Nadeo was founded in 2000. The PC version of TrackMania has 700,000 unique players monthly, and has been host to nearly 15 million user-created tracks since 2008. The game has 10 million registered players, Ubisoft said.

"Nadeo's team is pleased for this acquisition to happen," commented Nadeo CEO Florent Castelnerac. "Like players in a community, we see ourselves as being a complementary fit with Ubisoft and believe that we can share and quickly move ahead together."

Ubisoft has been aggressively expanding over the past couple of years through studio acquisitions and the founding of new studios, namely, the recently-announced Ubisoft Toronto studio into which the Ontario government will invest CAD$263 million ($226 million) over the next 10 years.
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=25525
http://www.pcgames.de/aid,696681/Ubisof ... o/PC/News/

interesting to read xD what does it bring for us now? :)

SlamDunk
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: TM/TMS/TMUF

Re: Ubisoft buys Nadeo

Post by SlamDunk » 05 Oct 2009 17:13

http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/index.php?p ... VyX3llYXI9

This is huge news for me. I am scared :|
keyboard kontrolled since 2003 | my pc

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 05 Oct 2009 17:33

Hi Slamdunk

you can be scared :roflol:

Without the information behind, you can say that this is dangerous. The fact is that I believe it will go well but I can't ask you to think the same. I have taken many decisions over the last ten years for the team that led us and our games where they are. I think this one is carefully approached for the next period of time coming at the studio.

Since the release of United in 2006, we are internally talking about Nadeo 2: new offices, new projects (TM2, SM, QM) and new steps to reach for the engine. For some reasons, the partner on this upcoming strategy is Ubisoft. I think it brings a new dimension to it and I am even curious to see how big it could become.

The most important thing I would like to say is for players to avoid to reach early conclusion, would they be bad or good, like for games. Personally, with the time I spent on the subject, I took the decision because I believe it could be constructive. The team also see it as a way to communicate knowledge since we are now 'united' with with our inter'nation'al partner.

I did not had time to communicate much recently. When it is the case, it could be for personal reasons, lack of time, confidential stuff or things we prefer to be more certain before moving forward. I think I will have a little more time to communicate, at least, but my phone is ringing and my mailbox growing with this new release.

the month of September was 'intense' with TM2 and this :roflol:

Florent

SlamDunk
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: TM/TMS/TMUF

Post by SlamDunk » 05 Oct 2009 17:43

Thank you for those words, Hylis. Makes me feel good :lovetm

What is going to happen to the NADEO name?
keyboard kontrolled since 2003 | my pc

Gekko
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: ALL

Post by Gekko » 05 Oct 2009 18:01

All good wishes for all Nadeo staff!!

New experiences can be mixed as one, and new technologies can be developed.
The massive online game is the future, and we must follow it.

:lovetm

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 05 Oct 2009 18:30

thanks guy

I think we will keep the Nadeo name for at least some years. I am more attached at other things than that, but I think it is a good name.

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 05 Oct 2009 18:43

I think its the combo is more based on some other facts then only the trackmania brand.

All the best wishes for Nadeo and Ubisoft.

:3

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 05 Oct 2009 19:01

Heh, so this is how you were planning to make so many games at the same time :roflol:

Well, "takeover by big company" is not something I had expected with Nadeo. Haven't you been the same team of people for many years with no plans to expand? I've rarely seen things like this go well because the big company wants too much of a say in things. OK, it's not EA, but still... So I hope they'll still let Florent be the stubborn head of the dev team without trying to influence things too much, because TM wouldn't be what it is now without that :mrgreen:

I do see how it could be beneficial to Nadeo, but until further notice I'll go be scared with Slamdunk... Good luck with it though!

edit: And does this explain the strange "paying for TM2 alpha" comment? :shock:
edit2: Nevermind that edit, apparently it wasn't the full story. On the French forum Florent posted something that indicated buyers of the alpha would have tm2 for free or something (google's french is bad)

TStarGermany
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMN,TMNF,TMUF
Manialink(s): creative

Post by TStarGermany » 05 Oct 2009 19:24

congrats, seems like a good step...

it looks like i have to bug other people in the future when asking for permission to use tm related media stuff on the tmc page :)

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 05 Oct 2009 19:27

Zooz wrote:So I hope they'll still let you be the stubborn head of the dev team without trying to influence things too much, because TM wouldn't be what it is now without that :mrgreen:

edit: And does this explain the strange "paying for TM2 alpha" comment? :shock:
this post is really cool :1

and this one was awesome, people commented it internally
viewtopic.php?p=161536#p161536

about the alpha thing, it is simply that we think that it is better for the people to buy an alpha instead of the game if they want to participate during all the test&dev phases. If we open to everybody, it can not be moderated and the game while if we close to some player, I doubt they will like it. It is not for large test just before release to 'test' if it works, but to have constant feedback over a long period of time in order to go toward some direction for some really community related features such as block import and maniascript. I don't know if we will do it, but that's a solution for little trouble I have seen in making a long and open test phase. My goal is also to re-create a pre-launch community, which was always good time so far. we will see, but the idea is on the planning since before the discussion with Ubisoft.

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 05 Oct 2009 19:45

Well, after 5000+ posts there had to be some cool ones, if that wasn't sarcasm. Monkey and typewriter effect? :mrgreen:

I see, so it can be compared like TMN and TMU. TMN is much harder to moderate because people don't have anything valuable invested in it. Got banned? No prob, just make a new account. In TMU it's a little different since you paid € and have coppers.

The really strange thing to me now is allowing anyone in as long as they pay. What use is someone who doesn't or can't do bug reports in an alpha? Can you trust them not to leak? Can people who don't know TM effectively find bugs? Etc.
But let's not discuss that here, it's off topic.

But what will happen to Focus and Benji and all of the community websites they host now? :(

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 05 Oct 2009 20:14

won't they be taken over by ubisoft ^^ as ubisoft buys nadeo and also actually also the brand name?!

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 05 Oct 2009 20:19

I think that it is the best for everyone that the transition go well. I hope to be in the middle but I am afraid of this ^_^ I think everybody prefer the players to be happy, and that is what I want as well, and Focus too, because they made great thing for TM since six years and Ubisoft because I want them to do this for the next years as well.

JumperJack
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by JumperJack » 05 Oct 2009 21:35

hm your posts gave me a bit more hope, florent. :1

but still, it's scary that within some time tm would become 'big', and i so hope not too big for the cozy community we've got now... :wink:

ICEMD
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMN, TMU

Post by ICEMD » 05 Oct 2009 22:17

Just done some maths and cant work out where they get the 15m custom tracks from
as I worked out theres only 414,000 ish on all the tmX`s :pil

:lovetm