Ubisoft buys Nadeo

General discussion about all the Trackmania series.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

TStarGermany
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMN,TMNF,TMUF
Manialink(s): creative

Re: Ubisoft buys Nadeo

Post by TStarGermany » 07 Oct 2009 15:47

-Lr-SadHik wrote:in the case of carpark, we're still ready to support TM, but without Focus, we can't afford the high speed server we've got (btw this server also host TM-Forum :? ). If ubi or nadeo don't want to continue to support us like Focus did, we'll have to go back to a slow bandwidth, maybe cut the locators and limit some things :oops:
it might be useful for the community site admins to start talking to the "new" (?) responsible people @ ubi about how the tm community can keep up its work. is there already somebody to talk to about these matters ?

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 07 Oct 2009 17:12

PeteBroad wrote:Well, many moons ago they did P.O.D which was a brilliant game and reminds me very much of Trackmania!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_Death

Pete
It seems this was surprisingly popular among TM players. Grouik was a POD team and Rob was pro at it. Lolomax also used to play it, and I've played it too a long time ago. Good game, and the time attacking with ghosts was nice :mrgreen:
TStarGermany wrote:
-Lr-SadHik wrote:in the case of carpark, we're still ready to support TM, but without Focus, we can't afford the high speed server we've got (btw this server also host TM-Forum :? ). If ubi or nadeo don't want to continue to support us like Focus did, we'll have to go back to a slow bandwidth, maybe cut the locators and limit some things :oops:
it might be useful for the community site admins to start talking to the "new" (?) responsible people @ ubi about how the tm community can keep up its work. is there already somebody to talk to about these matters ?
Also, why would Ubisoft support our communities? Active community people pay just as much for the game as the kids who play it for two days and forget about it, and there are a lot more of the second category. They're also a lot cheaper to support. Paying for such community sites is probably unprofitable for them in the end.
Trackmania_Infinity wrote:Finally, Maxis shot themselves in the foot with Spore because they gave it a draconian copy protection system which forced you to connect to the internet to activate the game, all so you wouldn't have to keep the DVD in your drive when you played the game.
Or just because the gameplay was boring other than the creators. Starforce didn't kill TM either ^^

TStarGermany
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by TStarGermany » 08 Oct 2009 09:50

Zooz wrote:Also, why would Ubisoft support our communities? Active community people pay just as much for the game as the kids who play it for two days and forget about it, and there are a lot more of the second category. They're also a lot cheaper to support. Paying for such community sites is probably unprofitable for them in the end.
hm not really, but we'll see.. it would be nice to have someone to talk to @ ubi.

btw:
does anyone already know something about the mysterious "copies" of tm community user accounts which have suddenly appeared at the ubisoft forum? does anyone know where exactly they were copied from ?

-Lr-SadHik
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: ALL
Manialink(s): :SadHik

Post by -Lr-SadHik » 08 Oct 2009 10:24

zooz : if ubi don't want to support the community, sure that the community won't support ubi, and the community is powerful :lol:
TStarGermany wrote: btw:
does anyone already know something about the mysterious "copies" of tm community user accounts which have suddenly appeared at the ubisoft forum? does anyone know where exactly they were copied from ?
what are you talking about ? :oops:
Image Image

TStarGermany
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by TStarGermany » 08 Oct 2009 14:30

mhm there is a strange little phenomenon discovered yesterday/today.

it seems some people (including me) were able to logon to the ubisoft forum with account data from another tm community site.
surprisingly, the profile of the accounts at the ubisoft forum included full personal data (name,birthdate,zip/plz).

there's nothing specific to say about this, it's still all blurred and confused, but we'll investigate further.

fng_thatoneguy
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by fng_thatoneguy » 08 Oct 2009 14:36

I have to admit how very torn I am on this subject.

I've been boycotting Ubisoft since the release of the Prince of Persia: Epilogue DLC. That whole debacle was a business suit mess where Ubisoft clearly displayed their lack of interest in their PC users community. All of this after pulling a bold move to remove DRM completely from the game (which more and more I believe was just because they ran out of time to put it in, but wanted to turn a negative into a positive... but that's another story for another time.)

Anyway, people rallied around to purchase it for PC even if only to support the no-DRM movement... even die-hard fans that had already purchased it on the console. But therein lied a part of the problem. Ubisoft made claims that this would be a good test for piracy based on sales of the game; but they set up for an epic fail on sales of the game, because they released it AFTER the consoles' release, therefore filtering most die-hard fans out that own both PC and consoles. To add insult to injury, there was little to no PC marketing done; yet their online store showed PoP as their #1 or #2 seller for months after its release. All Ubi had to say about that was that those numbers didn't mean much because there still wasn't a lot of sales from the online store. Way to make themselves look bad there... :?

Back to the DLC, it was 3 hours of extra gameplay - continuation of an endeared story that all of the PC gamers wanted, but were denied; despite the fact that even their developers claimed it woudln't take much to port the Epilogue to the PC.

The point is... Ubisoft REALLY made PC gamers feel that they don't care about them. After this debacle it was followed up with other games getting exclusive DLC content for consoles, but not PC.

So I have many fears that Ubisoft will trash TrackMania, on many different levels. I pray they won't; that this will be more of a move of having the TrackMania brand under their belt, but leave Florent and crew to keep on keepin' on, giving us one of the greatest racing game franchises ever made.

I obviously have to lift my boycott for TrackMania 2, because I still want to give my full support to NADEO, who works so hard in keeping this wonderful game enjoyable for all of us... but I will remain not buying other Ubisoft titles, no matter how cool they are, until they quit ignoring their PC gamers.

On the flip side...

I know Florent and the rest of NADEO are incredibly intelligent people, and know they wouldn't just rashly jump into a stupid decision... so I hope whatever he knows that we don't is going to be uber-goodness for we TrackManiacs.

I love that we'll potentially have more marketing in the USA for TrackMania now. That has been keeping many of my friends from trying it. But out of the several I've finally got to give it a go, all but 1 or 2 haven't totally enjoyed it.

So I give my best wishes to NADEO, and my best hopes that Ubisoft will pull a smart move with TM and leave it DRM free like Prince of Persia; and leave the NADEO team to run the show the same way they have been for years, just lending resources where needed to help get the game finished. And I CERTAINLY hope there will be no DLC bull-crap involved in TrackMania... if Ubi starts pushing that kind of crap agenda on NADEO, it's going to be a sad day.

We love you NADEO... and are VERY much looking forward to TrackMania 2. Best of luck in this new venture.

(BTW, I'm interested in buying during alpha phase... is there a way to get notified when that opportunity arises?)

-----------------------------------

I'm curious about this Ubisoft forum thing too... I already have a profile over there (in which I was trying to support getting the PoP DLC available for PC) ... I'm hoping to not have duplicate accounts... :)

TStarGermany
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by TStarGermany » 08 Oct 2009 14:53

1. we love the game.
2. we love the developers.
3. we love the community.

these 3 things are all i care for and i hope noone messes with it x,x

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 08 Oct 2009 20:41

Hmm, I have accounts on TM sites all over and can't log in on the ubisoft forum... The username zooz already exists but that happens sometimes :mrgreen:

edit: It actually isn't in the list but I can't register with it.. hmm

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 08 Oct 2009 21:54

thank you for your words thatoneguy

Tsargermany wrote: "it might be useful for the community site admins to start talking to the "new" (?) responsible people @ ubi "
the current TM that are sold are done by other publishers at the moment: Focus or Koch. Next one is Ubisoft and will come, I hope and under my advice, with some support. We will see, but there is time until then.

I also want to confirm that we gave no account information to be transfered ôO

EntropicLqd
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN, TMU

Post by EntropicLqd » 09 Oct 2009 19:46

Just out of interest, has Nadeo been suprised about the negativity towards Ubisoft?

I must admit, if I was from Ubisoft this thread would make for some slightly uncomfortable reading.

fng_thatoneguy
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by fng_thatoneguy » 09 Oct 2009 20:26

Another interesting note... I couldn't find any threads discussing Ubisoft acquiring NADEO on the official Ubi forums. I searched both "NADEO" and "TrackMania" and didn't find anything.

Let me rephrase that... I found a lot of posts when I searched "TrackMania" but it was mostly people having that word in their signatures, but the forum posts dealt with Far Cry Legacy or other things.

I'm curious why it's not being discussed over there as well.

Stoppi
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by Stoppi » 12 Oct 2009 11:29

Zooz wrote:
TStarGermany wrote:
Also, why would Ubisoft support our communities? Active community people pay just as much for the game as the kids who play it for two days and forget about it, and there are a lot more of the second category. They're also a lot cheaper to support. Paying for such community sites is probably unprofitable for them in the end.
They should support it because it's the reason why this game is so good. The amazing amounts of tracks and servers online is thanks to the community. Take away the usermade content and Trackmania would be an empty shell...

otmb;ripbox
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMO, TMS

Post by otmb;ripbox » 12 Oct 2009 14:48

<----- thinks Zooz has spent so long fighting for 1st place that he has forgotten what makes TM, TM :roflol:
* Core 2 Quad Q6600
* Abit IN9 32 MAX Motherboard
* 8 GB OCZ 4GB PC2-6400 nVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition (4X2GB)
* AMP! GeForce GTX 260² 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 x 1
* 150GB Raptor HDD
* 500GB Caviar HDD
* Vista Ultimate x64
* Thermaltake W0133RB 1200W PSU

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 12 Oct 2009 22:55

lol, I wasn't arguing for that point, only showing the line of thinking ubisoft is likely to use, being a large company...