Xbox 360 Controller

General discussion about all the Trackmania series.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

MichaelMH
pedestrian
pedestrian

Xbox 360 Controller

Post by MichaelMH » 22 Oct 2006 11:17

Hey, I'm new to these forums and trackmania itself but I'm already incrediblely obsessed with the game. Currently I've only got Nations but plan to get United when it comes out. Anyways, on with my subject. I've recently bought an xbox 360 controller to play the game with as my pinky was upset about having no purpose in life other than dangling over the "0" key.

Before buying a controller I borrowed one off my friend who has a 360 to see what it was like to play with, I recomend if your intrested in using one that you do the same to make sure its right for you. I got the 360 controller over the others avaliable because in my opinion its the most comfortable, easy to find and easy to use controller out there for pcs. And if you ever get a 360 console you'll have an extra controller =P. It cost £25 down the street but I'm pretty sure you can pick one up from amazon for under £20.

When you first conect it your computer you need to install some drivers, I found these buy doing a quick search on google. The main reason behind for me getting a controller was that I find using the triggers for accelerate and break so much easier than the arrow keys. Also with a controller you use both hands and there more spread out across the controller, I found that on a keyboard my right hand would quickly get tired.

Trackmania Nations regonized the controller staright away when I started the game up, however it only regonized the face buttons and analogue sticks. I had to configure the controls to use the triggers for accelerate and break.

With the triggers you are able to gently break and accelerate, while I generally just floor it with the accelerator, this may be apealling to some people. It defiently makes you feel like your more in control of the car as you dont have to be just going or not as you are with arrow keys.

Steering with the analouge sticks isnt easier than using the arrow keys, their both pretty much equal but I found the analouge stick to be more comfortable and accurate. With the analouge stick you can gently push over ever so slightly to create a smooth turn.

Overall it kicks the keyboards as and I recomend everyone to get a controller, 360 or not to play the game with.
MichaelMH :mrgreen:

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 22 Oct 2006 12:04

Yes, analog > digital
Don't try setting accel/brake to an analog stick though, it's pointless. They will still work like digital (on/off).

kyle
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by kyle » 22 Oct 2006 16:05

ive used one for a while, and am very impressed with the comfort and ergonomics of it. highly recommend.
Dear God,
Please save me from my sinful addiction to Trackmania. I promise I will never play it again.
Just let me play it one more time~

Leak
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMU

Post by Leak » 22 Oct 2006 17:35

Zooz wrote:Yes, analog > digital
Don't try setting accel/brake to an analog stick though, it's pointless. They will still work like digital (on/off).
Yeah, but the two triggers on the Xbox 360 pad actually *are* an axis - they're analogue triggers, kinda like the gas and brake pedals you get with a steering wheel.

Sure, that doesn't matter for the game itself, but without the ability to map an axis to accelerate/break you couldn't use them, short of installing the open source XBCD 360 drivers that let you replace the axis with 2 buttons... :) (Which I did anyway for the extra configurability...)

np: Louie Austen - Passion For Life (Iguana)

mp3killer(SLO)
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by mp3killer(SLO) » 22 Oct 2006 17:48

Well, I would like to buy a good pad for TMU too & as a pad n00b, I'm asking what is "the best" pad for TM!? :? :?:
To those who understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am!
Morow: The Best Progressive Radio Of Yesterday & Today

kyle
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by kyle » 22 Oct 2006 18:01

xbox 360 is an awsome pad, you can buy it at best buy *specifically* for pc, with custom plug adapter and driver cd.
only works with windows sp2 though! its way better than the logitec wingman i used to use.
Dear God,
Please save me from my sinful addiction to Trackmania. I promise I will never play it again.

mp3killer(SLO)
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by mp3killer(SLO) » 22 Oct 2006 19:13

THX! :P
To those who understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am!
Morow: The Best Progressive Radio Of Yesterday & Today

Leak
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Leak » 22 Oct 2006 20:47

kyle wrote:xbox 360 is an awsome pad, you can buy it at best buy *specifically* for pc, with custom plug adapter and driver cd.
Errr... no.

The plug on all versions of that joypad is your run-of-the-mill USB plug.

The "for Windows" version just comes with a driver CD - but that's the same one you can also download from the Microsoft website. So it doesn't really matter which version you buy...

kyle
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by kyle » 22 Oct 2006 22:03

Leak wrote:
kyle wrote:xbox 360 is an awsome pad, you can buy it at best buy *specifically* for pc, with custom plug adapter and driver cd.
Errr... no.

The plug on all versions of that joypad is your run-of-the-mill USB plug.

The "for Windows" version just comes with a driver CD - but that's the same one you can also download from the Microsoft website. So it doesn't really matter which version you buy...
o.k., well mine has an extra plug on it that coverts it to standard usb. so maybe its a quick release or an adapter of some sort, i dont know or care, the controller works great, and i never said you couldnt get the driver at microsoft.com
Dear God,

Drake1009
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Drake1009 » 23 Oct 2006 05:46

So you got the special version of the Xbox controller which used a different plug than the others? Or maybe you got a PS2 controller and just didn't realize because it came with a converter and driver?

Leak
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Leak » 23 Oct 2006 07:12

kyle wrote:o.k., well mine has an extra plug on it that coverts it to standard usb. so maybe its a quick release
Yep. They didn't want people tripping over the cable to be able to cause a *real* system crash...

That's what it says in the MANUAL *hint hint* that comes with it, anyway...

Parsen
cyclist
cyclist

Post by Parsen » 23 Oct 2006 12:07

I've got the Logitech Rumble Pad2 and i am very happy with it.
Digital and analog
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/produ ... ENTID=8674

Price is ok too, app. 20€

Most players in the ils community got that one i think.

[ra]WiSH
cyclist
cyclist

Post by [ra]WiSH » 23 Oct 2006 13:38

Parsen wrote:I've got the Logitech Rumble Pad2 and i am very happy with it.
Digital and analog

I agree, it is great controller, can't see why M-Box's controller could be better
pm-team.ucoz.ru
Visit us today!

kyle
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by kyle » 23 Oct 2006 23:40

[ra]WiSH wrote:
Parsen wrote:I've got the Logitech Rumble Pad2 and i am very happy with it.
Digital and analog

I agree, it is great controller, can't see why M-Box's controller could be better
more comfertable, plus i had problems with the joysticks sticking on my wingman after about a year of average use.
Dear God,

robert1
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO TMS TMN TMU

Post by robert1 » 24 Oct 2006 07:43

i use a PlayStation2 control it works grate ( every now and then i have to rest the analog to defult ) but it's grate
CPU: Intel i7 3.40 GHz
Memory: 6GB DDR3
HDD: 500GB
Optical: Super Multi Double Layer DVD+RW drive
Grapichs: Asus GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5
Over Clockers UK: "Titan Goliath" Intel Core i7 920