Any chances to see Trackmania on the Xbox360 and PS3 ???

General discussion about all the Trackmania series.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

gabrielh
highway camper
highway camper

Any chances to see Trackmania on the Xbox360 and PS3 ???

Post by gabrielh » 01 Dec 2006 22:12

HI,
I looove Trackmania Nations and I would like to know if there's any chances that Trackmania United will be released on the PS3 (or XBOX360) ??? I ask that because I have a PS3 and my PC can't keep up very good with the new games. TMU will play perfect with the Xbox-Playstation controllers...I think this game is appropriate for the gaming units unlike other PC games.

Holley
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Holley » 01 Dec 2006 23:28

Florent at Nadeo has stated in a recent interview that won't ever happen, since the heart of TM is user content, mods and file sharing which can only be done with a PC.

s-j!
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by s-j! » 02 Dec 2006 09:27

manialink :tm

AeroSquid
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMS-TMU-TMN-TMNF

Post by AeroSquid » 02 Dec 2006 16:23

good!

pc>console

Holley
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Holley » 02 Dec 2006 17:00

Yes, all the attempts at user content on consoles has been awkward and limited ... I liked Perfect Dark's idea of having face photos (IIRC that got chopped from the final version though :()

(RTMF)tiger9
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by (RTMF)tiger9 » 03 Dec 2006 10:07

Holley wrote:Florent at Nadeo has stated in a recent interview that won't ever happen, since the heart of TM is user content, mods and file sharing which can only be done with a PC.
Well.. Its possible to connect your Xbox to the internet.. Isnt it possible to use file sharing then?

I got my Xbox on the internet..

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 03 Dec 2006 11:47

Well, you need a hard disk too, does an Xbox have those? ^^

Holley
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Holley » 03 Dec 2006 19:04

Yes (optional), but patching/modding/modelling/skinning really needs the flexibility of a PC.

I wonder if TMU dedicated server for Linux will work on an XBox 1 running Linux Image can't think why not!

Shakey-Lo
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Shakey-Lo » 07 Dec 2006 04:26

It is entirely possible, Far Cry on the first Xbox (and now the 360) had custom maps that you could make, play online, download other people's maps, etc. Lots of XBL games already have leaderboards just like TMU, and the friends list is like the groups in TMU. XBL even has little gamer avatars just like TMU! I honestly think TMU would work perfectly on the Xbox 360 and it would be great to see, plus everyone would have analog controls!

Drake1009
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Drake1009 » 07 Dec 2006 06:40

I'd say with the Xbox360 and PS3 it should be possible to use custom content. If it wasn't for the manialinks bit of united, the way you got a new challenge and uploaded custom challenges really feels like it ought to be on a console. I mean, 5 slots, no media tracker for uploadable tracks, copper limits apparently, and no track browser in the get new challenge.

Then there's of course the regular editor, and the custom campaign and such which would work in PC fashion, but if you removed that, and limited the manialinks bit so stuff downloaded was treated in a standard way, you could almost believe it was a console game.

I am, however, very glad that TM is a PC game. Just saying a bit of TMU feels like it was considered for consoles.

The replay editor, the replay saving, the painter and such would of course not be available on consoles since they would take up way too much space on the harddisk, whereas custom tracks in the style uploaded won't. If it's like TMPU (before the media tracker came and made sure tracks could get a lot larger), the tracks would be about 10kb in size. That's less than most PS2 game savegames, and that had 8 MB of storage on a card. That would be roughly 800 tracks on 8 MB, and I have a sneaking suspicion that Xbox and PS3 HDs are a lot larger than 8MB

Holley
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Holley » 07 Dec 2006 10:51

Thats a good point, probably the console-feel to parts of TMU links in with the idea that you do more in the game itself, since the intention was for a MMORPG style racing game, but yes that would transfer fine (along with music playback I guess).

I was thinking about stuff like custom skins / car models, the built in mod handling, your own vids on track billboards etc etc. Does XBL allow you to have your own avatar?

channelx99
highway camper
highway camper

Post by channelx99 » 13 Dec 2006 04:32

Not sure why the creators wouldnt port this game to either Xbox360/PS3 as it would open up the game to a huge market of players. Both systems support downloadable content, and I know I would pay full price for this game on either console.

Mac Matrix
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMN and TMU. :)

Post by Mac Matrix » 13 Dec 2006 17:00

I was about to ask my butt off on this to see whether TM would be releasable on such consoles.

It is possible. I mean the PS3 will have more than 8MB hard drive memory. lol. probably a few gig, more than enough for tracks AND car paint skins. and of course you could compress the skin files or something.

and you can always save mods on the hard disk and program the game to load them if you put them in a certain folder. I mean Christ, you can run Word on an xBox if you hack it and you can run a TM server on an xBox why not the game? o_O;

Shame, because my PC sucks, and if it was released on Wii or PS3, I would say the visuals would probably make my 480i 16:9 display explode with the brilliance. lol.
System Specs

AMD Phenon 9950 @ 2.85 Ghz
4GB Kingston DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte GA-M750SLI-DS4 mobo
250GB SATA HDD
Gigabyte GTX275 Super Overclock Edition
Logic 3 USB Rumble Pad
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit

Mac Matrix: Author of the TMN Neon Craze

Zahl
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TM, TMU

Post by Zahl » 14 Dec 2006 00:29

Funny to see this thread, because when I played the Trackmania Demo few years ago I just
thought it would make a perfect console game. You could completely control it with the keyboard,
so they wouldn't have to redesign anything (menues, track editor, ...).
Also the hot seat mode seemed perfect for console, maybe just add splitscreen? :D

mp3killer(SLO)
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by mp3killer(SLO) » 14 Dec 2006 00:54

TM sholud never come to consoles, as PC is the only platform that can hold all the features of such gem as TMU & it's updates!
It's also the only reason why I don't own any other platform - except my mobile phone (eve though, I love fighting games such as Soul Calibur & Tekken :oops: )! :P
To those who understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am!
Morow: The Best Progressive Radio Of Yesterday & Today