Want to play trackmania but....

General discussion about all the Trackmania series.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

BuckoA51
highway camper
highway camper

Want to play trackmania but....

Post by BuckoA51 » 10 Jan 2007 19:37

Refuse to have anti-copying malware (Starforce) on my system

I was gutted that Trackmania United included Starforce. I was really hoping that the developers would realise that Starforce does more to harm their sales and the future of PC games than it ever does good stopping piracy. When the general public gets wind that games can mess up their computers, that cannot be good for PC games sales.

So without turning this into a flame war (nothing you could tell me could change my mind, having already had one bad experience of Starforce I'm not comming back for more) will this game EVER ditch Starforce?

I was also going to ask if there was any hope of a 360 version (next best thing to a TM without Starforce) but that was answered in another thread

Oh I should add that I play games at work and so do many of my colleagues but Starforce is banned off all works PC's too

luke7777
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMO,S,N,U,DS,WII

Post by luke7777 » 10 Jan 2007 21:23

If you've read a bit more, you'd have seen that no SF drivers , as per GTR, etc. , are copied to your pc. It's contained in the exe only, so no problem. This is for the downloadable version, dont know whether the DVD version is different, But, since you've said
nothing you could tell me could change my mind, having already had one bad experience of Starforce I'm not comming back for more
this is actually a piece of useless info :P

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 10 Jan 2007 21:42

No, it won't ditch Starforce. Also, TMU does not have Starforce, at least not the version that causes computers to blow up. It uses Starforce Lite, which doesn't install those malicious zomg spyware drivers, it just encrypts the exe. But if simply the Starforce name scares you off, fine, bye, we don't need you here ^^

Racemaniac
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: all
Manialink(s): racemaniac

Post by Racemaniac » 10 Jan 2007 21:50

well, you can still buy trackmania united. it merele uses a starforce cd check, but doesn't install any starforce things on your pc :).
so there's no risk involved with it :)
as much as the trackmanias may rule, carmageddon 1 & 2 are still the best games ever :D

BuckoA51
highway camper
highway camper

Post by BuckoA51 » 10 Jan 2007 22:01

thanks everyone, I'll do a bit of research and then I might be joining you for some Trackmania :)

BuckoA51
highway camper
highway camper

Post by BuckoA51 » 28 Jan 2007 21:07

Well Trackmania United has been getting a lot of bad press around the internet for using Starforce, and I cannot find any information on "Starforce Lite" specifically to say if it is safe or otherwise.

I really don't see the point in companies using Starforce when expert users don't trust it and pirates can still bypass it it just takes longer. Reading comments in Edge magazine from Trackmanias developers was highly insulting, saying that the only people who complain about it are pirates. Obviously the developers do not read this forum as often as they say they do. Nice way to treat your customers eh? Shut up and suffer else we will accuse you of being pirates. Oh they also said most people don't even know about it! Of course the majority of people don't know about Starforce because you don't even warn them! If I sneak into your house and break your computer without your permission, so long as you don't know I did it does that make it ok? Oh well no doubt this thread will get locked or deleted completely soon anyway.

Maybe the developers will see sense in the next version. They would certainly sell a lot more copies if they did.

Holley
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Holley » 28 Jan 2007 23:39

Starforce can make your computer grow legs, run out and start arson attacks ... just looking at this messageboard can cause your hair to burst into flames, so post here at your peril! :shock:

The developers do read this forum, they see plenty of posts from tossers like you saying you won't buy the game and, rightly, dismiss those comments. When they see a well written user comment on features and/or bug tracking they make note, which is as it should be.

Now get over yourself or buzz off.

TrabTowN
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMS,tmn,TMU

Post by TrabTowN » 29 Jan 2007 01:07

BuckoA51 wrote:Well Trackmania United has been getting a lot of bad press around the internet for using Starforce, and I cannot find any information on "Starforce Lite" specifically to say if it is safe or otherwise.

I really don't see the point in companies using Starforce when expert users don't trust it and pirates can still bypass it it just takes longer. Reading comments in Edge magazine from Trackmanias developers was highly insulting, saying that the only people who complain about it are pirates. Obviously the developers do not read this forum as often as they say they do. Nice way to treat your customers eh? Shut up and suffer else we will accuse you of being pirates. Oh they also said most people don't even know about it! Of course the majority of people don't know about Starforce because you don't even warn them! If I sneak into your house and break your computer without your permission, so long as you don't know I did it does that make it ok? Oh well no doubt this thread will get locked or deleted completely soon anyway.

Maybe the developers will see sense in the next version. They would certainly sell a lot more copies if they did.
one word to that...

> horsesh*t <
If I sneak into your house and break your computer without your permission, so long as you don't know I did it does that make it ok?
my dog would "kill" you before you even near it :wink:

...my own opinion... got no problem with it and never had (trackmaniac since 2005)... as long it keeps "scum" away and makes live for so called"pirates" more difficult, it should be there...
United has been getting a lot of bad press around the internet for using Starforce
yeah i readed some of them and they arent realy good or objective reviews....
when expert users don't trust it
i must be a "noob" then... :oops:

and as Racemaniac said :
well, you can still buy trackmania united. it merele uses a starforce cd check, but doesn't install any starforce things on your pc
so, go out, by it and play it :D

cya on the tracks^^
100²% addicted

Funnyman
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMU, TMF

Re: Want to play trackmania but....

Post by Funnyman » 29 Jan 2007 08:11

BuckoA51 wrote: Oh I should add that I play games at work and so do many of my colleagues but Starforce is banned off all works PC's too
:twisted:
Better do what your payed for to do

Someone should show this to your employer 8)
Ð Ξ F u n n y M a n

BuckoA51
highway camper
highway camper

Post by BuckoA51 » 29 Jan 2007 21:19

Holley wrote:Starforce can make your computer grow legs, run out and start arson attacks ... just looking at this messageboard can cause your hair to burst into flames, so post here at your peril! :shock:

The developers do read this forum, they see plenty of posts from tossers like you saying you won't buy the game and, rightly, dismiss those comments. When they see a well written user comment on features and/or bug tracking they make note, which is as it should be.

I'm a tosser because I'm concerned about installing software onto my PC that has a proven track record of causing problems, system instability and that the developers have never been honest or open about the side effects of using AND that some people believe actually causes permanent hardware problems AND that has caused me problems in the past. Yeah, I'm a real tosser for worrying about that.

Oh as for doing what I'm paid to do, well I do have an hour lunch break during which time I may do whatever I choose, including at the moment playing networked PC games, but if game manufacturers keep using these destructive protection systems it won't be long before all games are banned from our network.

This is exactly the reason why Starforce is a very bad thing for PC gaming in general. The average user doesn't know Starforce from any other protection scheme, so if the public get wind of malware in games, it will discourage them from buying games altogether. A bit like in the DOS days when DOOM used to mess with himem.sys. This interfered with other programs, result, games were blamed for everything that went wrong and banned from corporate networks.

Starforce only hurts legitimate customers like yourselves. Pirates couldn't really give a toss. Come on most other developers/publishers are dropping it like a ton of bricks.

Racemaniac
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: all
Manialink(s): racemaniac

Post by Racemaniac » 29 Jan 2007 23:04

BuckoA51 wrote:
Holley wrote:Starforce can make your computer grow legs, run out and start arson attacks ... just looking at this messageboard can cause your hair to burst into flames, so post here at your peril! :shock:

I'm a tosser because I'm concerned about installing software onto my PC that has a proven track record of causing problems, system instability and that the developers have never been honest or open about the side effects of using AND that some people believe actually causes permanent hardware problems AND that has caused me problems in the past. Yeah, I'm a real tosser for worrying about that.

Oh as for doing what I'm paid to do, well I do have an hour lunch break during which time I may do whatever I choose, including at the moment playing networked PC games, but if game manufacturers keep using these destructive protection systems it won't be long before all games are banned from our network.

This is exactly the reason why Starforce is a very bad thing for PC gaming in general. The average user doesn't know Starforce from any other protection scheme, so if the public get wind of malware in games, it will discourage them from buying games altogether. A bit like in the DOS days when DOOM used to mess with himem.sys. This interfered with other programs, result, games were blamed for everything that went wrong and banned from corporate networks.

Starforce only hurts legitimate customers like yourselves. Pirates couldn't really give a toss. Come on most other developers/publishers are dropping it like a ton of bricks.
awesome speech you copied from the dozens of guys that said it before you

and now lets come to the point: TMU doesn't install starforce drivers

any other issues?
as much as the trackmanias may rule, carmageddon 1 & 2 are still the best games ever :D

Holley
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Holley » 30 Jan 2007 10:30

BuckoA51 wrote:I'm a tosser
Thanks for confirming that. Trackmania also has a proven track record of working on millions of computers accross the world, and every other copy protection scheme has had as many or more problems than Starforce - just look at Steam and the problems its caused many users from others using key generators.
Oh as for doing what I'm paid to do, well I do have an hour lunch break during which time I may do whatever I choose
Any responsible company would ban network games, loading the company network with unneeded traffic at a much higher rate than casual web browsing isn't such a good idea. Copy protection or not.
This is exactly the reason why Starforce is a very bad thing for PC gaming in general.
Is Starforce a very bad thing for the PC in general? Surely its better to try and make a stand against the bottom dwelling piracy market than just let them walk all over you?
Starforce only hurts legitimate customers like yourselves. Pirates couldn't really give a toss.
Pirates have had to go to extreme methods to circumvent Starforce in the past, other developers are going for more stingent copy protection which will, by nature, cause a higher proportion of problems for users (good for them! Pirates should be castrated for the underhand theft they undertake, but this is a step in the right direction).

Now, why was I so hard on you? Because before you we've had umpteen people posting exactly the same comments. Like you, they all say "it broke my computer" or similar, but don't give a proper account of what happenned, thereby loosing credance to their story. Like you, they say "I'm not going to buy the game," well thats fine by us, why post here then? (If you bought the game and then had problems you have found the community interested and sympathetic), and like you they try and tell people what to think by repeating the contents of the Starforce Boycott site. Thanks, but I like to make up my own mind.

robert1
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO TMS TMN TMU

Post by robert1 » 11 Feb 2007 18:24

Holley wrote:Starforce can make your computer grow legs, run out and start arson attacks
i wish that would stop happening
CPU: Intel i7 3.40 GHz
Memory: 6GB DDR3
HDD: 500GB
Optical: Super Multi Double Layer DVD+RW drive
Grapichs: Asus GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5
Over Clockers UK: "Titan Goliath" Intel Core i7 920

dustyjo
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMU, TMS, TMN

Post by dustyjo » 12 Feb 2007 01:47

Was it necessary to bump this?
-dustyjo Happy TrackManiac since Dec. 2004

Helstar
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Helstar » 12 Feb 2007 05:21

Starforce is used mainly for the encryption of the exe files = to prevent hack to the game physic.

With TMN I really didn't see any problem. So I was sceptic about all those 'problems' that people say around, I am like hey, they're full of programs that emulates or shut down optical drives, that of course lead to many conflicts between an even 'light' Starforce and those applications.

I have the download version of TMU so like TMN I don't need to put the DVD inside the reader for the check every time I run it.
After 3 months I can say that yes, unfortunately it seems Starforce gives some problems, luckily not 'blue screens of death" or permanent damages though.

Which problems ... if you are inside the game, and switch to the desktop, you can't burn anything with your DVD-RW (I always get an error in the middle of the process).
Ok, I admit it's not 'normal' to burn something while TMU is running (even if minimized), but that happens even if I quit the game. Basicly, if you have run TMU, you better restart Windows before thinking to burn a CD/DVD.

Another strange problem is that sometimes when I quit TMU there is this black window screen that stays there, and it won't go away. That means the game has crashed in the quit process, but it leaves itself and Starforce in the memory. Even if you shut down the whole thing manually through the task manager, better to restart to avoid other problems (like, internet connection going 'blind' or strange behaviour of the computer while using other programs).

Nothing that lead us to suicide though =) I only guess that using the DVD version, if you start TMU often, it will stress the DVD reader a lot.
Last edited by Helstar on 12 Feb 2007 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
The music of the future will not entertain; It's only meant to repress and neutralise your brain.