ManiaCup : News & Events infos

Come in to speak about the competitions different organised by Nadeo and the community.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

racerua
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMS, TMUF

Re: ManiaCup : News (02/04/09)

Post by racerua » 07 Apr 2009 08:47

twoeagles wrote:Hi Slig :)

I look at the ManiaCup and I see the Star Desert, Snow, and Coast A1 maps, but cannot join, is it because of my rank? I see where it says that it is for beginner to mid-level players. Is it set to not allow players at a certain amount of Ladder Points? If it is set up that way, that's fine, just please let us all know. :ftw: Set for 0 - 60k players, should still be fun to spectate. :gotcha:

It also says to look at the weekly events, but I don't see any listed anywhere... perhaps they are still in the planning stage? :?:
The registration is not open yet. You can join this evening.

Slig
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: ALL

Post by Slig » 07 Apr 2009 12:11

twoeagles wrote:I look at the ManiaCup and I see the Star Desert, Snow, and Coast A1 maps, but cannot join, is it because of my rank? I see where it says that it is for beginner to mid-level players.
You just can't register before the begining of qualif, nothing more ;)

Perhaps that later it will be limited by ladder rank, but it does not reflect a real level in many cases (some very good league players have low ladder level), so it's not sure. More probably if needed later then limitations will come based on previous results. But actually there are not ;)
It also says to look at the weekly events, but I don't see any listed anywhere... perhaps they are still in the planning stage? :?:
I'll try to set it up today of tomorrow, for playoff saturday afternoon, like previous ones.

I think that i will keep the 10 players in playoff matches : it was fun i think. But this time i will setup a little more points to win, 5 Cup winners, and 10 Cup winners in final : it will avoid to get again what happened to Andrey, Kamilos and FAN (unlucky qualif because of score equality and worse qualif time), and also having the final standing of 5 of the final players based on the qualif time because there were all finalists at the end... :?

Also, some good players asked to have events for non beginners an other day than saturday : probably that when there will be main ET league breaks (so between UL/SL/LE events) there will be some special tournaments on wednesday evenings.
w1lla wrote:What kind of Environment is Desert Actually:
according to Dailycup StarDesertA1 its speed?! well i can misguess it....
Yes, Desert = Speed (and Snow = Alpine). French people call it desert most time (personally i use both names). Btw i just used the name of the Star Track map ;)

Also, thanks to matdu2323 who indicated me a bug which permitted to stop an official attempt before finishing and re-enter on server without loosing one attempt. It is fixed now :D

Linkinito
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU

Post by Linkinito » 07 Apr 2009 21:23

Well, this day I've noticed a problem, the Cup mode wasn't adjusted, it was a "normal" cup mode. By the way, it was really fun :)
Intel Pentium 4 531 @ 3,0 GHz
1 GB (2x512 MB) RAM DDR2
256 MB MSI NX7600GT-T2D256EZ
Windows XP Pro 32-bit[/size]

Slig
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Slig » 07 Apr 2009 23:14

Linkinito wrote:Well, this day I've noticed a problem, the Cup mode wasn't adjusted, it was a "normal" cup mode. By the way, it was really fun :)
Yes i know : the changes i had done in scripts to make it work (and that worked) between saturday and monday had broken other things... which made the problems of monday. :?
So it will stay without it for daily events of the current week. I hope it will be fixed for saturday.

Paragleiber
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMSX, TMN, TMUF

Post by Paragleiber » 08 Apr 2009 13:02

Hey!

Just wanted to give my feedback on yesterday's cup:

I didn't have any technical problems, the official times were working alright. But I didn't manage to qualify for the top 32.

It's sad that nobody cares about the text given in the information. It says that the cup is not intended for high skilled players and then I see people on the qualifying server with top 1000 or even top 100 online ranking.

And another stupid thing is that some people qualify for the top 32 and then don't show up for the cup mode matches. A friend of me got 33th place in the qualifying. Without these people he could have played in the cup.

I know that this is the player's and not the organizer's fault and that you can't really do anything against it but I just wanted to point it out.

Hsanrb
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF

Post by Hsanrb » 08 Apr 2009 16:07

Really think the top players need to pass the message around to stay out of the daily events, I can see why people would be irritated when I join the event and see this...

The times posted would easily break the top 10 on TMX

About the people who qualify not even showing up, I did that once for the starbucks cup because I took a short nap after F1 qualifying and woke up 15 minutes after my round ended. I'm guilty I did that, but all these events are skewed towards European times and other players (especially from the US) have to qualify around noon EST for the daily and during the last weekend event the actual rounds started at 9AM which most US game tournaments I've been in usually start 10AM at the earliest with some time prior to for warm-up and practice. Just a suggestion, but maybe try to move some of the daily events to different time slots so its not biased towards one region.

PS: During the time that I took to wrote my suggestion someone just ran a 16'77 so I replaced that with the image I previously had up.

crooms
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMUF

Post by crooms » 08 Apr 2009 16:10

Snow A1 has a big, ugly and most of all, lucky Cut. Todays cup may be a bit silly with that track

Slig
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Slig » 08 Apr 2009 17:37

Paragleiber wrote:I didn't have any technical problems, the official times were working alright. But I didn't manage to qualify for the top 32.
It's sad that nobody cares about the text given in the information. It says that the cup is not intended for high skilled players and then I see people on the qualifying server with top 1000 or even top 100 online ranking.
Such thing will be difficult to avoid. Actually we can only hope than only few good players will come. We will see later with more experience if something can be done.

Also, it was very difficult to decide the number of qualified : i was not sure both if there would be enough players to make a 64 players playoff, and also in case of uncomplete playoff missing players could be a problem.
Finally it seems that 64 players is ok, so I changed for today and next events to 64 qualified : i just hope that only few will have problems to have the final a little later, and changed after they registered....
And another stupid thing is that some people qualify for the top 32 and then don't show up for the cup mode matches. A friend of me got 33th place in the qualifying. Without these people he could have played in the cup.
Yes, i understand that it is not nice for unqualified players.
Btw, 4/64 no show is really really few ! If it is often so few i will be happy ;)
crooms wrote:Snow A1 has a big, ugly and most of all, lucky Cut. Todays cup may be a bit silly with that track
Hem, this one is very ugly, sure :?
For today, I suppose that for qualif reasonable players will try the cut 3-4 official times, then if failed stop use it ; and for playoff it should be really rarely used, or with such many risks that i would say that taking his chance.

Btw, If somenone know what startracks have cuts, please tell it ! don't wait the day of the event !

Paragleiber
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMSX, TMN, TMUF

Re: ManiaCup : News & Events infos

Post by Paragleiber » 08 Apr 2009 18:36

Right now only Match #4-1 - #4-8 can be joined, the other 8 will be played later?

racerua
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by racerua » 08 Apr 2009 18:59

Thank you for increasing qualify limit to 64. That's a good thing :)

Will there be daily events with more than one track?

racerua
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by racerua » 10 Apr 2009 11:11

And one more question from me.
Is there any possibility to make other players' cars "disappear" in cup mode (by pressing "O" key)? For example my ADSL connection lags from time to time and as a result the cars of my opponents "jump" in front of me. It's impossible to drive and concentrate :(

Slig
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Slig » 10 Apr 2009 15:40

racerua wrote:Is there any possibility to make other players' cars "disappear" in cup mode (by pressing "O" key)?
Sorry, but no. You have to choose if you play an online multiplayer competition, or if you play solo like. It's true that hidding is not really like solo, but it's not really a race either.
racerua wrote:For example my ADSL connection lags from time to time and as a result the cars of my opponents "jump" in front of me. It's impossible to drive and concentrate :(
Did you reduce the download and upload rates in the game config ? it can help a lot. ( 3 Kbps min, else you'll be kicked by script).
Seeing 3 other players really don't take big bandwidth, really, so if you anyway have so much network problems which can't be resolved on your side, then you have to do with it, or not play online competitions. I think that you already have luck to be able to play online a game like TM, most online games would just not be playable at all. I understand that it is not nice for you, but rules just can be adapted for all worst cases :?

racerua
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by racerua » 10 Apr 2009 16:03

Thank you Slig! Reducing download and upload in the settings helped.

And could you please answer my previous question?
> Will there be daily events with more than one track?

Slig
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Slig » 10 Apr 2009 18:29

racerua wrote:And could you please answer my previous question?
> Will there be daily events with more than one track?
For the daily, i think not, but it's the first week, wait & see how things go ;)

It will probably for more special events, which will come more when there are not big ET leagues like SL/LE/UL, to avoid such players too train too many maps at the same time.

Also, multimap take more time for each match, and the problem of Cup mode on bad luck on maps at the end of match will come back on multimap...

Slig
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Slig » 10 Apr 2009 20:25

For those who are interested but missed it : there is currently the qualifs for the saturday tournament....