Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Discuss anticipation, facts and video's of the newly announced Trackmania 2 game!

Moderators: Alinoa, TM-Patrol

jamie_macdonald
speed demon
speed demon
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Re: Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Post by jamie_macdonald » 18 Mar 2010 16:12

otmb;ripbox wrote:well i just bought Battlefield Bad Company 2 and if we need some sort of protection then im all for what they did there....
simply put, you install the game then you need to every time you play ether chose to do one of 2 things... A:have the disc in the drive for authentication or B: have on-line authentication
you can read more about this authentication here http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62114

although im not so keen on this method, its in the end blows the socks of Ubisofts waste of time and money

Battlefield Bad Company 2 has had this "SecureRom" removed today (they will now rely on steam for protection), further to that ubisofts list of confirmed DRM games up for release in 2010-2011 does not inculde TM2 (this does not of course mean it will not have it .. it is seemingly less likely).

It seems that slowly the DRM angst is gettign somewhere :thumbsup:

fng_thatoneguy
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF

Post by fng_thatoneguy » 18 Mar 2010 16:37

jamie_macdonald wrote:
otmb;ripbox wrote:well i just bought Battlefield Bad Company 2 and if we need some sort of protection then im all for what they did there....
simply put, you install the game then you need to every time you play ether chose to do one of 2 things... A:have the disc in the drive for authentication or B: have on-line authentication
you can read more about this authentication here http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62114

although im not so keen on this method, its in the end blows the socks of Ubisofts waste of time and money

Battlefield Bad Company 2 has had this "SecureRom" removed today (they will now rely on steam for protection), further to that ubisofts list of confirmed DRM games up for release in 2010-2011 does not inculde TM2 (this does not of course mean it will not have it .. it is seemingly less likely).

It seems that slowly the DRM angst is gettign somewhere :thumbsup:
I hope you're right. :)
... But I'm not holding my breath til we're doing the victory dance at release time for TM2 and it truly is DRM-free ...

Here's to hopin'.

jamie_macdonald
speed demon
speed demon

Post by jamie_macdonald » 18 Mar 2010 16:43

yeah i'm not holding my breath either, but i am hopefull that we will get somewhere by the time TM2 is released,

fortunately we have all these other mainstream games testing the limits of the DRM system and also the Users willingness to put up with such a system, i feel that even if they intend to use it now . .they next year might make them change their mind :thumbsup:

The list of DRM confirmed games not having TM2 included is promising but i agree not worth celebrating till we see it "written in stone"... i will jsut post what i find on the subject as and when i find it ... lets hops all goes well :lovetm

otmb;ripbox
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMO, TMS

Post by otmb;ripbox » 18 Mar 2010 18:58

jamie_macdonald wrote:Battlefield Bad Company 2 has had this "SecureRom" removed today
It has??? where is his info?
* Core 2 Quad Q6600
* Abit IN9 32 MAX Motherboard
* 8 GB OCZ 4GB PC2-6400 nVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition (4X2GB)
* AMP! GeForce GTX 260² 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 x 1
* 150GB Raptor HDD
* 500GB Caviar HDD
* Vista Ultimate x64
* Thermaltake W0133RB 1200W PSU

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Post by Xymph » 18 Mar 2010 19:29

otmb;ripbox wrote:
jamie_macdonald wrote:Battlefield Bad Company 2 has had this "SecureRom" removed today
Read a good gaming news site, such as Blue's News:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/108489/steam ... oval-nears
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/108509/battl ... team-patch
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

jamie_macdonald
speed demon
speed demon

Post by jamie_macdonald » 18 Mar 2010 20:40

Xymph wrote:
otmb;ripbox wrote:
Read a good gaming news site, such as Blue's News:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/108489/steam ... oval-nears
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/108509/battl ... team-patch
What he said + have you not heard of google before? hehe :thumbsup:

otmb;ripbox
swift roadking
swift roadking

Post by otmb;ripbox » 18 Mar 2010 23:05

jamie_macdonald wrote:
What he said + have you not heard of google before? hehe :thumbsup:
But i never said mine was a Steam version did i???? lol :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: yeah its the stand alone disc version, thats why i said it give you 2 authentication options 1 via disc and the other via online!!!!
* Core 2 Quad Q6600
* 150GB Raptor HDD
* 500GB Caviar HDD
* Vista Ultimate x64

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Post by Xymph » 18 Mar 2010 23:35

otmb;ripbox wrote:But i never said mine was a Steam version did i?
You also didn't say your copy isn't a Steam version. But Jamie did mention in his post that this pertains to the Steam edition, in the part you didn't include in your quote:
jamie_macdonald wrote:Battlefield Bad Company 2 has had this "SecureRom" removed today (they will now rely on steam for protection)
So it's not our mistake that you ignored a crucial detail. :P
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

otmb;ripbox
swift roadking
swift roadking

Post by otmb;ripbox » 19 Mar 2010 16:00

HAHA Oh well my point was the protection used in BFBC2 was better than Ubisofts.... anyway back to the topic on hand :lol:
* Core 2 Quad Q6600
* 150GB Raptor HDD
* 500GB Caviar HDD
* Vista Ultimate x64

Kakkoii
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMU & TMO

Post by Kakkoii » 10 Apr 2010 21:58

It all comes down to this:

DRM only effects paying customers. Never in gaming history has DRM worked at stopping piracy. So basically when you add such intrusive DRM to your product, you are only harming the paying customers, allowing the pirates to actually have a better version of the game than paying customers.

The people who crack these things have become experts on reverse engineering software to crack it. If the game is still usable with whatever DRM is implemented, then the DRM can and will be cracked. The only thing a developer can do is provide incentives for people to want to pay for it. Such as real life collectibles or something, and interesting online features.

Plus the actual effect of piracy is greatly blown out of proportion. They count every download as a sale lost, when in reality a huge portion of those downloads are of people who either:

1.) Don't have the money to pay for every game they would like to play.
2.) Download the game to try it out, and if they feel it's good they then later support the developer by paying for it.
3.) Live in a part of the world where it's not available for purchase.
4.) Just plain poor.

Sure, there are many who just pirate to save money, but the majority fall into the above 4 categories.

Plus, when it comes to Trackmania, the biggest appeal of the game is playing online with other people, and creating tracks for other people to play. And since a pirated version cannot be played online, there's much reason to actually pay for the game. Not to mention Nadeo's free version of the game also.

These big developers need to stop listening to their idiotic share holders and DRM lobbyists. And need to take a listen to what the public is saying and the irrationality of such DRM.
Come visit our server
Tet19 Music Tower

otmb;ripbox
swift roadking
swift roadking

Post by otmb;ripbox » 11 Apr 2010 18:22

Kakkoii wrote:It all comes down to this:............
a BIG +1 for that

I am:
1.) Don't have the money to pay for every game they would like to play.
2.) Download the game to try it out, and if they feel it's good they then later support the developer by paying for
4.) Just plain poor.

and occasionally but very rare.......

3.) Live in a part of the world where it's not available for purchase.

Had i not had the luxury of playing the TMS demo prior to the release of TMS id have been one of the many who downloaded a pirated version of TMS

Big problem now is many don't do demo's any more and that is where the pirates help! just so hope Nadeo make a TM2 demo..... id be very reluctant to buy it without being able to try b4 i buy
* Core 2 Quad Q6600
* 150GB Raptor HDD
* 500GB Caviar HDD
* Vista Ultimate x64

jamie_macdonald
speed demon
speed demon

Post by jamie_macdonald » 12 Apr 2010 12:41

Yeah have to say the pircay scare is a little like you state, allthough there are some extroadinarily greedy people that steal cause they are to tight "penny pinchers" they are of course rarer than those in unfortunate circumstance.

allthough in saying that, if you don't have the money then why not go earn some to get it? ^^ (disabled and elderly excused imo).

But as usual, i am human, and have to admit that my first go of TM (TMS) was on a pirated copy (ed2k client e-mule).... It however was an awesome game and i went out to purchase it withing two weeks of "tryign it for free".

So in short your correct, but there is really no excuse for stealing unless you have no arms or legs or something similar stopping you earning money. (dont be theives for the sake of it and anti piracy measures might not make it through :thumbsup: )

Kakkoii
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMU & TMO

Post by Kakkoii » 12 Apr 2010 16:33

jamie_macdonald wrote:Yeah have to say the pircay scare is a little like you state, allthough there are some extroadinarily greedy people that steal cause they are to tight "penny pinchers" they are of course rarer than those in unfortunate circumstance.

allthough in saying that, if you don't have the money then why not go earn some to get it? ^^ (disabled and elderly excused imo).

But as usual, i am human, and have to admit that my first go of TM (TMS) was on a pirated copy (ed2k client e-mule).... It however was an awesome game and i went out to purchase it withing two weeks of "tryign it for free".

So in short your correct, but there is really no excuse for stealing unless you have no arms or legs or something similar stopping you earning money. (dont be theives for the sake of it and anti piracy measures might not make it through :thumbsup: )
Somebody has to do the low paying jobs until robotics can take over. Making more money is easier said than done. Many people have to be poor for some to be rich.

And it's technically not stealing. Theft is the taking of someone's property. Digital piracy is the act of making a copy of the digital data someone else had already bought a copy of. If you we're never a sale to begin with, then nobody has actually lost anything. If you do have the money to pay for it and are a potential sale, then yes it's close to theft.
Come visit our server
Tet19 Music Tower

EntropicLqd
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN, TMU

Post by EntropicLqd » 13 Apr 2010 16:26

I wonder if any of you guys saw this article a while back: http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html

It's not a perfect article, but it's still one of the more balanced views on the impact of software piracy you can find.

Edit:And if Ubi hasn't dropped their absurd DRM by the time TM ships I'll never play it. A shame; but I refuse to support such an invasive protection scheme.

jamie_macdonald
speed demon
speed demon

Post by jamie_macdonald » 14 Apr 2010 13:27

i love the way the article consistently mentions scaremongering, i wonder if you guys even realise you are doing the exact same thing! (probably not). :roflol:

all smacks of major hypocrisy if you ask me, pay for what you get if you can, the only people that have the RIGHT to free information are, people in education, elderly and disabled ... ANYONe else pirating is a THIEF .. simply put.